1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2012 9:22 PM by rp0428 Go to original post RSS
      • 16. Re: ORA-00059: maximum number of DB_FILES exceeded
        So if I am running the following:

Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.3.0 - Production
        PL/SQL Release 8.1.7.3.0 - Production
        CORE 8.1.7.0.0 Production
        TNS for Solaris: Version 8.1.7.3.0 - Production
        NLSRTL Version 3.4.1.0.0 - Production

Can I edit the db_files in my initSID.ora file and then run create spfile from pfile. Will this mess anything up with any other parameters? I have changed the db_files in the initSID.ora file then restarted the database and tried to create a new datafile but received the ORA-00059 error still. So if I change the db_files to something like 200 and then run create spfile from pfile will this work and will it affect anything else?
        • 17. Re: ORA-00059: maximum number of DB_FILES exceeded
          One more thing. Is it possible that the way the database was setup it does not use the spfile? In my initSID.ora directory I should see a spile currently if it is using one correct?
          • 18. Re: ORA-00059: maximum number of DB_FILES exceeded
            Mohammed Taj
            yes
            1. change in initsid.ora file and create spfile from pfile and startup ur database.
            • 19. Re: ORA-00059: maximum number of DB_FILES exceeded
              Paul M.
              Is it possible that the way the database was setup it does not use the spfile?
              I don't have your version on hands, and I don't remember very well how it worked, but the 8.1.7 documentation does not mention CREATE SPFILE command. Did you already try it ?
              • 20. Re: ORA-00059: maximum number of DB_FILES exceeded
                No I was afraid to. I did not want to corrupt the database.
                • 21. Re: ORA-00059: maximum number of DB_FILES exceeded
                  Paul M.
                  I did not want to corrupt the database.
                  You don't risk anything, spfile is an external file, and can't corrupt the DB. I'm just curious to know if it was already there, you could create it (if it works), then you can also remove it. And yes, if not differently specified, it should be in the directory where initSID.ora is, $ORACLE_HOME/dbs on Unix/Linux, ORACLE_HOME\database on Windows.
                  • 22. Re: ORA-00059: maximum number of DB_FILES exceeded
                    spfile support was added in 9i.

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96540/wnsql.htm#969716

search for create spfile.
                    • 23. Re: ORA-00059: maximum number of DB_FILES exceeded
                      Paul M.
                      Thanks Kamal, I knew that, but I was not sure of my memory...:-)
                      • 24. Re: ORA-00059: maximum number of DB_FILES exceeded
                        Ok I looked at the latest trace file from my backup and the MAXDATAFILES is set to 150. In my initSID.ora file the db_file is set to 50 and I only have 38 .dbf files. Is there any other reason that I could be receiving the ORA-00059 error?

Here is a list of my dbf files. Someone before me created these and I am wondering if it has something to do with the 8a. I would not think so but ...

DBMERGE_MAIN_OFDB_IND_LDBARC.dbf
                        META_DATA_OFDB_IND_LDBARC.dbf
                        OFDB_MAIN_OFDB_IND_LDBARC.dbf
                        OFDB_MAIN_OFDB_IND_LDBARC_2.dbf
                        OFDB_MAIN_OFDB_IND_LDBARC_3.dbf
                        OFDB_PARMS_OFDB_IND_2_LDBARC.dbf
                        OFDB_PARMS_OFDB_IND_3_LDBARC.dbf
                        OFDB_PARMS_OFDB_IND_4_LDBARC.dbf
                        OFDB_PARMS_OFDB_IND_5_LDBARC.dbf
                        OFDB_PARMS_OFDB_IND_6_LDBARC.dbf
                        OFDB_PARMS_OFDB_IND_7_LDBARC.dbf
                        OFDB_PARMS_OFDB_IND_8_LDBARC.dbf
                        OFDB_PARMS_OFDB_IND_8a__LDBARC.dbf
                        OFDB_PARMS_OFDB_IND_9_LDBARC.dbf
                        OFDB_PARMS_OFDB_IND_LDBARC.dbf
                        OFDB_SNAPSHOTS_OFDB_IND_LDBARC.dbf
                        Roll2_LDBARC.dbf
                        SCANNER_OFDB_IND_LDBARC.dbf
                        SCANNER_OFDB_IND_LDBARC_2.dbf
                        SELECTION_OFDB_IND_LDBARC.dbf
                        TEMP_LDBARC.dbf
                        cntrl2_LDBARC.dbf
                        log1b_LDBARC.log
                        log2b_LDBARC.log
                        log3b_LDBARC.log
                        log4b_LDBARC.log
                        log5b_LDBARC.log
                        log6b_LDBARC.log

Message was edited by:
                        d072330
                        • 25. Re: ORA-00059: maximum number of DB_FILES exceeded
                          Thanks for all of your help. I have fixed the problem. For some reason or another it did not like the way I numbered something or something was fat-fingered earlier. I created a number 10 file without any error messages.
                          • 26. Re: ORA-00059: maximum number of DB_FILES exceeded
                            user8856433
                            Hi Khalid,

this abdul here, you can change the parameter dynamically but the parameter shud dynamic.if its then you not need to down or restart the db.

fire this quary u ll be getting the actual result of changing paramtere....

sql>select isses_modifiable,issys_modiafiable from v$parameter where parameter name='parametername';

the output would be like

true and false

there can be spell mistake so please check the parameter
                            • 27. ORA-00059: maximum number of DB_FILES exceeded
                              my database datafile limit is 1024.

but when i tried to add a datafile i got an error

ORA-00059: maximum number of DB_FILES exceeded.

this is a RAC environment...

the update is done at instance level at node one and node 2 separately

Please help to solve this issue its urgent....

Edited by: 926310 on Apr 9, 2012 6:27 PM
                              • 28. Re: ORA-00059: maximum number of DB_FILES exceeded
                                rp0428
                                Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, for your first post you have made some serious breaches of etiquette.

Please read the FAQ about how to post questions to the forum.

Do not HIJACK another users question. If you are having trouble, even with the same issue, open your own thread. You can put a link to this thread in yours to say you have the same problem but it is rude to ask your question in someone elses thread.

>
                                Please help to solve this issue its urgent....
                                >
                                Not to us it isn't. The forum is answered by volunteers who do it on their own time. No question is more important than any other and saying 'urgent' is likely to cause people to ignore your question rather than try to help you.

The volunteers are world-wide so the person best able to help you may be asleep or in a completely different timezone.

Please create your own question after reading the FAQ.
                                1 2 Previous Next