8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2012 2:25 AM by user11221081 RSS

data guard

user521177
      Dear Gurus

ONE OF MY CLIENT IS RUNNING 10.2.0.2 ON HP-UX11IV2 with SAP ECC 6.0 SR-3.

His requirement is to have active data guard for database.But we are still not clear whether active data guard is supported in SAP or there are some issues as some application tries to write.Also the architecture is like there is a main database to which another database BW of application is linked which is used by the applicatrion.Again there is like a Centralised database in SAP to lessen the load of main database.So the main database DB and centralised database DB CI are in OS cluster.

Now i am getting confused in this architecture.
      As our requirement is to upgrade the main database DB to 11gR2.So my question is do i need to upgrade centralised database DB CI also and BW DB which is interlinked to DB.

Please anyone has an idea in such scenario.Please do share some information or link.
      Also clear me for active data guard.Do we need to perform sone settings at Sap end so as to shift writes to primary and let use stanby smoothly.

Please share whatever related to above.
        • 1. Re: data guard
          Helios-GunesEROL
          Hi;

I suggest close your issue here as answered than move your issue Forum Home » High Availability » Data Guard which is dedicated forum site.

Regard
          Helios
          • 2. Re: data guard
            CKPT
            His requirement is to have active data guard for database.But we are still not clear whether active data guard is supported in SAP or there are some issues as some application tries to write.
            Active dataguard supported for Oracle backend database, Never mind whether frontend is SAP/Peoplesoft or something else.
            Dataguard behaves as exact image copy.

I have seen building DR for SAP supported.
            Also the architecture is like there is a main database to which another database BW of application is linked which is used by the applicatrion.Again there is like a Centralised database in SAP to lessen the load of main database.So the main database DB and centralised database DB CI are in OS cluster.
            Linked means can you please describe more on it? Not sure.. check the compatibility how Applications supports.
            Now i am getting confused in this architecture.
            As our requirement is to upgrade the main database DB to 11gR2.So my question is do i need to upgrade centralised database DB CI also and BW DB which is interlinked to DB.
            Normally if you talk about database interlinked, EX: Db links.. So this will support in different versions, releases and Heterogeneous platforms.
            Please anyone has an idea in such scenario.Please do share some information or link.
            Also clear me for active data guard.Do we need to perform sone settings at Sap end so as to shift writes to primary and let use stanby smoothly.
            No settings on primary, From active dataguard which is from 11gRx you can put standby in OPEN & RECOVERY Mode, so that it will be used for reporting who can perform SELECT operations, to reduce Load on Primary database.

Thanks.
            • 3. Re: data guard
              user521177
              Heartly thanks CKPT

actually i am not clear whether BW DB is linked with db-link..as BW is a module of SAP which has BW DB that fetches data from DB and put in its form which is used by application.
              Actually client also wants to upgrade SAP version to EHP5 from ECC 6.0.So we were in a thought that we need to make changes in application for active data guard.

so can we move like as

1.Upgrade OS to HP-UX 11iV3
              2.Upgrade database to 11gR2
              3.Implement active data guard
              4.Upgrade Sap to EHP5

will it work fine that to implement active data guard pn current SAP version and after implemmenting upgrade SAP.would there be any changes required in active data guard after SAP upgrade.Or there might be issues with it.
              • 4. Re: data guard
                CKPT
                Heartly thanks CKPT
                Welcome
                actually i am not clear whether BW DB is linked with db-link..as BW is a module of SAP which has BW DB that fetches data from DB and put in its form which is used by application.
                Actually client also wants to upgrade SAP version to EHP5 from ECC 6.0.So we were in a thought that we need to make changes in application for active data guard.

so can we move like as

1.Upgrade OS to HP-UX 11iV3
                2.Upgrade database to 11gR2
                3.Implement active data guard
                4.Upgrade Sap to EHP5

will it work fine that to implement active data guard pn current SAP version and after implemmenting upgrade SAP.would there be any changes required in active data guard after SAP upgrade.Or there might be issues with it.
                You can implement dataguard for Oracle database, it wont matter whether what application is this, its just deal with database of oracle. as simple.
                Even active dataguard too. Assuming primary & standby database versions are same.
                • 5. Re: data guard
                  user521177
                  Sorry for asking you again as already marked correct

I want to know also that if i will use the standby for reporting purpose , would Sap allow to do that.

Secondly do you have idea that how the login of user is done on frontend.I mean does on login through frontend in SAP enter some information of user login to database.That was my doubt that if i use standby for reporting purpose and login of user detail goes to database.So that will be write operation which data guard wont allow.

Also some Oracle person said that using active data guard in SAP for reporting might create some lock and have issues.

Rgds
                  • 6. Re: data guard
                    mseberg
                    Use Active Data Guard for a reader database on the Standby. SAP is a non factor.

Oracle 11 required.

http://www.oracle.com/us/products/database/options/active-data-guard/overview/index.html

Best Regards

mseberg
                    • 7. Re: data guard
                      CKPT
                      I want to know also that if i will use the standby for reporting purpose , would Sap allow to do that.

Secondly do you have idea that how the login of user is done on frontend.I mean does on login through frontend in SAP enter some information of user login to database.That was my doubt that if i use standby for reporting purpose and login of user detail goes to database.So that will be write operation which data guard wont allow.

Also some Oracle person said that using active data guard in SAP for reporting might create some lock and have issues.
                      No problem.. You can ask more and more question as far as reasonable. ;-)
                      In Active dataguard, You cant perform only Read & write operations, You can connect any normal users also.

I got something for you, might useful for you Setting up Oracle 11g Data Guard for SAP customers

http://www.oracle.com/us/solutions/sap/wp-ora4sap-dataguard11g-303811.pdf

Enjoy!!!!
                      • 8. Re: data guard
                        user11221081
                        Thanks CKPT

i got this doc earlier also.But below findings are refererred by SAP support.Please read below and suggest as active data guard is expensive licence and after purchasing we can make for any unsupport.Also the database is more than 1TB

By requesting to contact us via mail regarding Active DataGuard we just
                        want to make customers aware of the fact that Active DataGuard cannot be
                        used to run any SAP system against the standby database (e.g. for reporting
                        etc.). Active DataGuard allows only read only access to the standby
                        database. But SAP systems are never read only. Therefore this would not
                        work. Of course you can run any administrative task against the standby
                        server that is read only. To avoid any misperception we request interested
                        customers to contact me.****

In addition customers need to be aware of the fact that Active DataGuard
                        requires a separate license and is therefore not free of charge.****

If all this can be accepted customers can use Active DataGuard in SAP
                        environments.****

However, we did not test Active DataGuard in SAP environments. Therefore we
                        have no own experience. The implementation has to be done according to the
                        Oracle standard documentation.