This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2012 10:28 PM by BillyVerreynne RSS

How do points work?

daniel williams Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I use stack overflow a lot and enjoy the points system there. You get points for accepted answers and others can vote up you questions or your answers. But I do not see how they work here. Is it only when your answer is accepted?
  • 1. Re: How do points work?
    paavo Newbie
    Hi,

Also wondered about the counters for fresh threads :) started a topic about the counters, see Clarity to reward counters in fresh threads.
    As a original writer you can tag 5 helpful answers and the elevate one answer as 'correct'.
    Try giving reward points to me :)

rgrds Paavo
  • 2. Re: How do points work?
    daniel williams Newbie
    Is that all? Only the original poster can mark things as either helpful or the right answer ? That seems pertly limited and not very community oriented. All forums could learn many things from stack overflow.
  • 3. Re: How do points work?
    paavo Newbie
    Agree, some exemplary answers are more than correct. And how would you give credit for this sort of thread giving valuable insight : APEX 4.1.1 BUG. Validation message #LABEL# not substitudet on error page

I miss the link between the forum threads/answers and related apex.oracle.com hosted applications which were contributed by the most helpful individuals.
    There are answered threads which are harder to understand once the apex-application is no more publicly available e.g.: How to display values dynamicaly

Also imagine small apex applications clarifying the "SQL and PL/SQL" forums answers e.g. in this thread: Regular Expression

rgrds Paavo
  • 4. Re: How do points work?
    jgarry Guru
    See my comment about stack overflow in this thread: Re: Reward Points - Poster failed to mark answer correct
  • 5. Re: How do points work?
    paavo Newbie
    The more I read about the community credits here the more I start thinking that there is great opportunity to turn the point system to really serve individuals as you would expect it to do.

Trading of the credits gained:
    - neat forum medals as today based on cumulative credits gained regardless about their trading status
    - trade credits for online Oracle certifications which update the pathetic cv with entries like this:
    Status Level:      Newbie (5)
    Total Posts:      64
    Total Questions:      12 (9 unresolved)
    - trade credits for Oracle license of product xxx for certain time
    - trade credits points for true support hours
    - trade credits for placing 'hints like, read my book xxx for profesionals p123' to persistent questions
    - trade credits for <continue the list>

I also think that the criterias for credits could be improved and the methods for giving credit.

Credit from good, declarative and relevant question:
    I see the stackoverflow as one way to go with their categorizations like "stellar questions" and such.
    Especially the *'relevancy' of the questions* made could be set by the readers so that when reading forum postings they could 'vote' which question is actually a very 'relevant' question and which question can be solved by just reading the manuals.

Credit from helpful answer
    Voting like in stackoverflow.

Credit from working example
    Something which can be executed - e.g. hosted apex application or sql.
    Link to hosted example.

Credit from state of the art correct answer
    I think this is a bit tricky definition - who is defining the correctness?
    Perhaps there could be race between correct answers which have contributed "working example" and the one which is having most votes or monitored users will win.

Credit from robust and rock solid (upwards compatible (and correct) answer) - to implicitly persistent question
    Oracle gives credit for answers which can be lifted to 'FAQ' or similar.

Credit from handholding the novices
    There could be a bit more distinctive forums for novices and members struggling with the tutorials and such.

rgrds Paavo
  • 6. Re: How do points work?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    Keep dreaming.

the Jive software on here is out of date and unsupported and Oracle isn't going to invest it's time to try and improve on a points system that most people think is pointless (scuse the pun) anyway.

The purpose of these forums is for people to seek technical help and for people to give technical help and also to learn from that. Those that concern themselves so much with gaining points are missing the point of the forums and are often the ones we see posting rubbish answers very quickly after a question has been asked, or asking for points from the OP for their rubbish answers, just to try and get themselves points to impress their mates.

As for all your suggestions of converting credits ("points make prizes"), that would require someone from Oracle to spend their time evaluating everything. It's a huge forum with too much going on and Oracle does not actively monitor the forums to that extent to be able to spend the time and effort working it all out for glitzy prizes.

Either your here to use the forums for technical know how, or your here for the points. I know which one I'm here for, and it's not points, nor prizes.
  • 7. Re: How do points work?
    paavo Newbie
    Are you trying to ruin my attempt to mediate credits from the correct answer for eternal elevation purposes in my mates eyes?

Lets dream hard. Why not to use the point/credit system to measure out the quality of the responses and encourage community members to survey the deep space of Oracle products with the gained credits?
    Also it would be just good 'sql trigger' excercise for some Oracle employees to make promotions based on the credits.

rgrds Paavo
  • 8. Re: How do points work?
    jgarry Guru
    Maybe this is indeed the [url https://blogs.oracle.com/otn/entry/we_heart_discussion_forums_and]time to make suggestions.

I'd be against giving actual value to points, that will just create a gameable market or black market (or even [url http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/25/china-prisoners-internet-gaming-scam]slavery), and won't solve the problem of low karma of people who are very good who haven't been recognized because they haven't participated yet.
  • 9. Re: How do points work?
    paavo Newbie
    Indeed - I think the measures serves 2 purposes:
    1.) points indicating the quality of the discussion thread and especially its responses
    2.) points converted to credits which are then usable in the ACE pre-level ladders
    3.) recreational discussion topic

rgrds Paavo
  • 10. Re: How do points work?
    Sc0tt Expert
    I'll still never understand why people complain/care about points. Everyone here that is not employed by Oracle is volunteering their time because they [presumably] like helping people, problem solving, wasting their company's time. That should be reward enough. I mean would you go to a soup kitchen and expect a reward because you got the most compliments about serving the food?

Considering you are at the mercy of whoever asks the original question as to whether the answer is correct or helpful, attaching any tangible reward to points is pointless (no pun intended). Correct and helpful are both subjective anyway given the way most of the questions are asked.

That being said, if anyone wants my points, they can have them. I still have enough Habitat for Humanity trophies laying around here to self-congratulate.
  • 11. Re: How do points work?
    Paulie Pro
    >

wasting their company's time.
    Sure beats working! ;)

Paul...
  • 12. Re: How do points work?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    Sc0tt wrote:
    I'll still never understand why people complain/care about points. Everyone here that is not employed by Oracle is volunteering their time because they [presumably] like helping people, problem solving, wasting their company's time. That should be reward enough. I mean would you go to a soup kitchen and expect a reward because you got the most compliments about serving the food?

Considering you are at the mercy of whoever asks the original question as to whether the answer is correct or helpful, attaching any tangible reward to points is pointless (no pun intended). Correct and helpful are both subjective anyway given the way most of the questions are asked.

That being said, if anyone wants my points, they can have them. I still have enough Habitat for Humanity trophies laying around here to self-congratulate.
    If I could give you 10 points for that answer I would. :D
  • 13. Re: How do points work?
    paavo Newbie
    Ok, point taken - to be politically correct you should only give points, not earn them.

Before this thread turns to Jabba/Darth et. al serving soup earning points-path there is need to think the reason for having a point system in place.
    IMHO it should be improving the forums e.g. better indicators for 'hot/potential/high quality' discussion threads.

rgrds Paavo
  • 14. Re: How do points work?
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Sc0tt wrote:
    I'll still never understand why people complain/care about points. ..snipped..
    Well put. Echo my sentiments exactly.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points