13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2012 7:45 PM by Alvaro.Miranda RSS

Search the DVD

HuaMin Chen
      Hi,
      I have already mounted the original setup file of OL 5.7 iso file as a CD/DVD, in my OL 5.7. How can I access this CD/DVD in the terminal prompt?

Why do I get this?
      [root@localhost ~]# cd /media
      [root@localhost media]# dir
      OL5.7\ i386\ dvd\ 20110728
      [root@localhost media]# cd ./dvd
      bash: cd: ./dvd: No such file or directory
      [root@localhost media]# cd /media/dvd
      bash: cd: /media/dvd: No such file or directory

Many thanks
        • 1. Re: Search the DVD
          Avi Miller-Oracle
          Hua Min wrote:
          [root@localhost media]# dir
          OL5.7\ i386\ dvd\ 20110728
          That is a single directory, so you would need to change into it:
           # cd /media/OL5.7\ i386\ dvd\ 20110728 
          • 2. Re: Search the DVD
            HuaMin Chen
            Thanks a lot. Is dvd the way to access CD/DVD or not? Why do I get this?

[root@localhost media]# cd /media/dvd\
            glibc-2.5-123
            bash: cd: /media/dvdglibc-2.5-123: No such file or directory
            [root@localhost media]#
            • 3. Re: Search the DVD
              Avi Miller-Oracle
              Hua Min wrote:
              Thanks a lot. Is dvd the way to access CD/DVD or not? Why do I get this?
              No, it's not. Or at least, not the way you appear to have mounted the DVD. What exactly are you trying to do?
              • 4. Re: Search the DVD
                HuaMin Chen
                I can see that mounted DVD within OL 5.7. How can I search one specific file name in that? Thanks

What do you mean by this?
                     # cd /media/OL5.7\ i386\ dvd\ 20110728
                Edited by: Hua Min on Apr 10, 2012 11:58 AM
                • 5. Re: Search the DVD
                  RichS
                  If you are using the default shell (and you probably are) then the tab key is your friend.

First type:

# cd /media/O

and then press the TAB key on your keyboard. The shell will then fill out everything else that is needed for you to change your directory to your mounted CD or DVD. If for some reason you had two things in the /media directory that started with O (that's a capital Oh) then the shell would list your choices. Type enough to be specific, pressTAB again, and you'll be good to go.

The reason those back slashed are there ( \ ) is because you have spaces in the name of your DVD, so you have to 'escape' the spaces by putting a backslash in front of them so that the shell knows that you are still working on the first argument into the cd command (which only takes one argument). If you just type a space without a backslash in front of it then the shell thinks that you are trying to pass multiple arguments into the cd command.

You want to change your directory to /media/OL5.7[space]i386[space]dvd[space]20110728

The way you write that in 'shell speak' is" cd /media/OL5.7\ i386\ dvd\ 20110728

That's a lot of typing and work when all you have to do is type the first O and then press TAB. :)

Does that answer your question?
                  • 6. Re: Search the DVD
                    HuaMin Chen
                    Thanks. I can "cd" the mounted DVD now. How to set up this?
                    glibc-2.5-65.i386.rpm

Edited by: Hua Min on Apr 10, 2012 2:53 PM
                    • 7. Re: Search the DVD
                      Dude!
                      Glibc provides some of the core libraries that many system tools rely on. You cannot simply install or change your version of glibc without affecting your system and all the software it depends on. If you force install the installation of glibc you will render your system useless beyond any reasonable repair. You can't just simply install or uninstall individual core system libraries. If you would like to upgrade glibc then use the yum utility like it was mentioned to you numerous times already. What are you trying to accomplish?
                      • 8. Re: Search the DVD
                        Avi Miller-Oracle
                        Hua Min wrote:
                        Thanks. I can "cd" the mounted DVD now. How to set up this?
                        glibc-2.5-65.i386.rpm
                        It's most likely already there. Run this:
                         # rpm -qa | grep glibc 
                        It'll show you the version of glibc installed.
                        • 9. Re: Search the DVD
                          HuaMin Chen
                          Thanks all.
                          Avi, I go to the mounted DVD as I want to set up “glibc-devel”. Why do I get nothing below?

[root@localhost ~]# cd /media/OL5.7\ i386\ dvd\ 20110728/Server
                          [root@localhost Server]# rpm -qa |grep glibc-devel-2.5-12
                          [root@localhost Server]#
                          • 10. Re: Search the DVD
                            Avi Miller-Oracle
                            732035 wrote:
                            Avi, I go to the mounted DVD as I want to set up “glibc-devel”. Why do I get nothing below?
                            You're not listening to me. I told you exactly what to type, so don't type anything else.

You should already have glibc installed. This is the first time you've mentioned glibc-devel in the entire thread. I strongly urge you to configure YUM access via public-yum.oracle.com and just use yum to install packages. Follow the instructions at http://public-yum.oracle.com to enable access to the Oracle Linux 5 latest channel, then use yum to install the glibc-devel package:
                             # yum install glibc-devel 
                            • 11. Re: Search the DVD
                              HuaMin Chen
                              Thanks. This is what I have done
                              [root@localhost Server]# yum install glibc-devel
                              Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
                              This system is not registered with ULN.
                              ULN support will be disabled.
                              Setting up Install Process
                              Package glibc-devel-2.5-81.el5_8.1.i386 already installed and latest version
                              Nothing to do

If the required item is “glibc-devel-2.5-12” but I have set up this “glibc-devel-2.5-81.el5_8.1.i386”, is it a problem?
                              • 12. Re: Search the DVD
                                Avi Miller-Oracle
                                732035 wrote:
                                If the required item is “glibc-devel-2.5-12” but I have set up this “glibc-devel-2.5-81.el5_8.1.i386”, is it a problem?
                                Depends on why you require glibc-devel-2.5.12. But, it has to match the glibc version installed, which will be 2.5-81 as well.
                                • 13. Re: Search the DVD
                                  Alvaro.Miranda
                                  Hi There.

If you are looking for oracle db dependencies, you should install oracle-validated and relax:

yum install oracle-validated

That's for OL5.

Now, in order to avoid versions on the command, you can refer to the packages as:

glibc.x86_64
                                  glibc.i686
                                  glibc-common.x86_64
                                  glibc-devel.x86_64
                                  glibc-devel.i386
                                  glibc-headers.x86_64

Those are the glibc packages listed in the oracle db docs (when you install oracle-validated that package will take care of the dependencies).

you can execute

yum install glibc.x86_64 glibc.i686 glibc-common.x86_64 glibc-devel.x86_64 glibc-devel.i386 glibc-headers.x86_64

To install all those.

Later, you can do an
                                  yum update

and your system will be updated to the latest packages.

Enjoy,
                                  924111 :)