7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2012 12:10 AM by 930019

copy outline BSO to ASO without wizard

hello:

i'm new on hyperion world, i need to use the VB API to copy the outline from a BSO cube to ASO cube, without wizard, because must be a automatically process, if anybody can me show me how do this, i know VB, C languaje, its not the problem, i need to know how to build the program environment and the "hello world" program for this VB API

thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: copy outline BSO to ASO without wizard
          garycris
          I'm curious why you would need to do this programatically since this is not something that would work well in an automated environment. First, you will not have a steady stream of BSO apps that need to be converted to ASO. If you have a BSO app and decide it can perform better as an ASO app then you convert it and move on. It's not like you are going to continuously build BSO apps and queue them up to go through this converter. Secondly, the process of converting a BSO app to an ASO app is not a "hands-free" operation. It would be rare to find a BSO app that converted to ASO without any exceptions. By the nature of the way they work, they are usually not a one to one fit. So if you build something that automates the process what are you going to do when it comes to an exception and needs user input in resolve the exception and move forward? You will then have to build an interface to allow someone to deal with exceptions and at that point all you will have done is create a new wizard.
          I'm not trying to be negative, I just don't see the use case.
          • 2. Re: copy outline BSO to ASO without wizard
            GlennS_3
            I can see the reason for wanting a BSO and ASO application to be in Sync. Partitions is one of the reasons. But I don't know that I would go down the API route to do it. I think a better solution would be to use either Essbase Studio or EPMA. If Studio, you can use the same Cube Schema to build both the BSO and ASO cubes and just have different columns in your source to denot the unique properties (Formulas come to mind). If this needs to be automated then you can use the deploy command in a MaxL script run the process. you can replace the dimensions in both cubes or ust do updates.

If going the EPMA (or DRM) route, then you have a common dimension library where you ccan define uniwue properties.
            Studio is free with Essbase, EPMA or DRM are purchased options (EPMA comes with Planning I believe)
            • 3. Re: copy outline BSO to ASO without wizard
              Hi:

We need to convert BSO cube to ASO cube, to consult a WebAnalysis report, the ASO cube it's more efficiently in this kind of information, i make the test and take only 20 seconds in ASO cube (take 30 minutes in a BSO cube)
              we can't move all the cube to ASO and go on, i only need make a special case from wizard, i understand your point. I'm not trying to make a new wizard that's ridiculous

Regards
              • 4. Re: copy outline BSO to ASO without wizard
                Hi:

We try to have a solution with Essbase Studio, but i need to try other new solution with the essbase API

Regards
                • 5. Re: copy outline BSO to ASO without wizard
                  Hi:

Anybody can tell me where i found information about VB API ?

best regards
                  • 6. Re: copy outline BSO to ASO without wizard
                    GlennS_3
                    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17236_01/nav/portal_3.htm look at the first item
                    1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: copy outline BSO to ASO without wizard
                      TNKS!!!!

Regards