This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2012 8:44 PM by EJP RSS

IIOP's PortableRemoteObject.narrow returns null

930104 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
IIOP's PortableRemoteObject.narrow() is returning null, rather than throwing an exception. Under what circumstances does it do this and why isn't it documented?

The object returned by Context.lookup() (the first argument to narrow()) looks just fine (to me).

I have scads of IIOP logging turned on in the name server, the server factory and the client (-Dcom.sun.CORBA.ORBDebug=transport,giop,subcontract,poa,shutdown, have I missed anything?) and I don't see anything that smacks of a error, they are all talking merrily back and forth. Everything looks good up to the point where this null is returned by PortableRemoteObject.narrow().

I'm using Java 1.6.0_31 on Windows 7.

-- Doug
  • 1. Re: IIOP's PortableRemoteObject.narrow returns null
    EJP Guru
    The object returned by Context.lookup() (the first argument to narrow()) looks just fine (to me).
    What is it? specifically, what is its class?

And are you using the JDK's build-in ORB?

And how was the object bound to the naming service?
  • 2. Re: IIOP's PortableRemoteObject.narrow returns null
    930104 Newbie
    What is it? specifically, what is its class?
    com.sun.corba.se.impl.protocol.CorbaClientDelegateImpl@b2b5151a
    And are you using the JDK's build-in ORB?
    Yes, I've tried both 'tnameserv' and 'orbd' with the same results.
    And how was the object bound to the naming service?
    PortableRemoteObject.exportObject(this);

The reason it's done with a static call like this is that the code supports
    both JRMP and IIOP so in the JRMP case it does this:

UnicastRemoteObject.exportObject(this);

JRMP works just fine. IIOP used to, but it's been a long time since we've
    had occasion to test it. Back then, before my time, I think Weblogic was
    used for our testing.
  • 3. Re: IIOP's PortableRemoteObject.narrow returns null
    EJP Guru
    It's very strange. The object definitely needs narrowing as you can see, it is an internal ORB class, not one of your stubs (which is what it will get narrowed to), and if the stub isn't present I would have expected a ClassNotFoundException ... but ... is the stub present at the client?
  • 4. Re: IIOP's PortableRemoteObject.narrow returns null
    930104 Newbie
    You are right, that was the problem. It happened because the nameserver and serverfactory processes referenced the product jars, but the client was running in IntelliJ using newly compiled class files. The Ant script that builds the product generates and includes the IIOP stubs, but the IJ project wasn't configured to generate them -- it is now and it works. Thanks!

But this points out a bug in the PortableRemoteObject.narrow() code that returns a null rather than thowing an exception. Is that something I should report (I don't really know how) or can you?

-- Doug
  • 5. Re: IIOP's PortableRemoteObject.narrow returns null
    EJP Guru
    I don't have any greater powers than you do. You should report it via the Bug Parade, if you can get it to respond.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points