This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2012 8:31 AM by Mahendra RSS

How to Use Default Item Category in a Shared Instance

User351286 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Gurus,

Hope you all are doing well.

We have very critical issue. Infact we are implementing Oracle 12.1.3 for a Customer who is using a shared instance with another country. Infact the other country has already set Default Item Category Set, Now we also want ours.

How to Achieve the same, Please let me know.

We are also defining PO Approval Group Item Category range wise but there our category is not reflecting.

Please suggest me how to go about this.

Regards,
Aditya
  • 1. Re: How to Use Default Item Category in a Shared Instance
    Mahendra Journeyer
    911765 wrote:
    Hi Gurus,

Hope you all are doing well.

We have very critical issue. Infact we are implementing Oracle 12.1.3 for a Customer who is using a shared instance with another country. Infact the other country has already set Default Item Category Set, Now we also want ours.

How to Achieve the same, Please let me know.

We are also defining PO Approval Group Item Category range wise but there our category is not reflecting.

Please suggest me how to go about this.

Regards,
    Aditya
    What do you mean by shared instance here?
    can you elaborate more??

HTH
    Mahendra
  • 2. Re: How to Use Default Item Category in a Shared Instance
    User351286 Newbie
    Hi Mahendra,

Shared instance means our customer has one single Business in Differennt Countries.

So they have already implemented for Indonesia Business and they have their own Ledger, OU and Inv Orgs etc.

Now we are implementing for India Business. So Default Category has been set by Indonesia team already.

But according to standard functionality of Oracle Default Category Set only reflect everywhere.

So the issue is we want to also use our category so that it will reflect while Creating POs, In Approval Group and in other place.

How to achieve the same ?

I hope this will give you the clarity.

Regards,
    Aditya
  • 3. Re: How to Use Default Item Category in a Shared Instance
    Mahendra Journeyer
    911765 wrote:
    Hi Mahendra,

Shared instance means our customer has one single Business in Differennt Countries.

So they have already implemented for Indonesia Business and they have their own Ledger, OU and Inv Orgs etc.

Now we are implementing for India Business. So Default Category has been set by Indonesia team already.

But according to standard functionality of Oracle Default Category Set only reflect everywhere.

So the issue is we want to also use our category so that it will reflect while Creating POs, In Approval Group and in other place.

How to achieve the same ?

I hope this will give you the clarity.

Regards,
    Aditya
    For one functional area we can have only one default category set
    you need to define different categories in the flexfield value set...ex PO Item Category
    so after defining them..you should be able to see them in item categories in purchasing approval groups

Also check if any values are been defaulted from the value set of the segment..
    Like say..if value set has been set to dependent..with some default value...in that case you need to attach differnet value set to it..with new values..

HTH
    Mahendra
  • 4. Re: How to Use Default Item Category in a Shared Instance
    Sandeep Gandhi, Consultant Guru
    Aditya, you are encountering seeded Oracle design. There is no way to overcome this.
    You will have to write a customization that uses item category api and changes the category that got assigned by default.

If the countries share item master, it will be a little tricky. How would you know which country this item master record is created for? You can use the user or responsibility that created this record or you can use the language and then assign appropriate country based default category.

Sandeep Gandhi
  • 5. Re: How to Use Default Item Category in a Shared Instance
    Mahendra Journeyer
    Sandeep,

But in general oracle recommends to use one item master..for single global instance right?
    if some business decides to use the original vanilla instance across...they shouldn't encounter this issue...correct?

Please Advise

Mahendra

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points