5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2012 7:27 AM by Sutirtha Roy RSS

Which is better  OWB or Procedural language.

Nagaraja Akkivalli
      Hi All,

I have to make a decision to decide on the way to implement the ware house.

OWB provides a features to implement dimensional tables and cubes etc. Is it better to implement the warehouse using OWB or the normal procedural language?

In my perspective Procedural language has lots of flexibility to change and understand the code quickly. (as I am comfortable with it).

Please suggest.

Thanks and Regards
      Nagaraja Akkivalli.
        • 1. Re: Which is better  OWB or Procedural language.
          Sutirtha Roy
          >
          OWB provides a features to implement dimensional tables and cubes etc. Is it better to implement the warehouse using OWB or the normal procedural language?
          It depends on you . How much you want to write the code manually / what will happen to the code in absence of you / what all debuging steps you need to incorporate in the code / how are you going to do auditing etc are some of the question you need to ask .

In my perspective Procedural language has lots of flexibility to change and understand the code quickly. (as I am comfortable with it).
          OWB also generates the code written in PL/SQL , you can see the code and understand it quickly
          • 2. Re: Which is better  OWB or Procedural language.
            Nagaraja Akkivalli
            Thanks Sutirtha for your response.

How it is better to use OWB over usual PL/SQL coding ? (What special features that OWB offers me)
            Which is better form the maintainability perspective ?
            Does the performance degrade if the number of records increases ?

Please suggest.

Thanks and Regards
            Nagaraja Akkivalli.
            • 3. Re: Which is better  OWB or Procedural language.
              Sutirtha Roy
              >
              How it is better to use OWB over usual PL/SQL coding ?
              OWB allow you to extract from various source like Flat file,SAP,SQL Server, DB2 etc.
              With PL/SQL these becomes a hefty task .

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:6749198829295
              Which is better form the maintainability perspective ?
              OWB generates all this code (sql, plsql, tcl scripts, etc.) in a standardized way that so
              implementation and maintenance is consistent, and much easier to maintain, than trying to figure out how someone else coded the transformations.
              Does the performance degrade if the number of records increases ?
              Have not see such issue , you have few tuning option available also.

Thanks,
              Sutirtha
              • 4. Re: Which is better  OWB or Procedural language.
                Nagaraja Akkivalli
                Thanks Sutirtha,

I will explain the main issue that is troubling me.

I am aggregating the data from the transactional table which is receiving around 30 million transaction per month. We are retaining the data for the last 13 months. Querying this is going take lots of time.

Need to calculate the below parameters which we need to pass
                1. Start and end dates between which we need to summarize
                2. Partitioned start date and end date (required to improve the query performance).
                3. Summarization type (INCR/FULL). If it INCR then summarization will be for one day. If the summarization is FULL then it for the entire month.

How easy it is to calculate the above parameters from OWB tool ?
                How comfortable it is if i need to re-summarize the data for a particular month ?
                How easy it is to track the job/table load failures ?

PS: Please provide a good link to implement the warehouse using OWB if you have it. (creating dimensions/cubes etc). I have some of them which are not giving clear idea.

Thanks and Regards
                Nagaraja Akkivalli.
                • 5. Re: Which is better  OWB or Procedural language.
                  Sutirtha Roy
                  >
                  How easy it is to calculate the above parameters from OWB tool ?
                  You can use input parameter and specify the required date(s)
                  How comfortable it is if i need to re-summarize the data for a particular month ?
                  I am not clear on this query
                  How easy it is to track the job/table load failures ?
                  You can check the OWB audit table for these information . You can even check job execution stats via browser