6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2012 5:52 AM by Saugat Chatterjee RSS

import data

Munish
      Hi,

We have 8.1.7 standard edition database running on windows 2003 R2. (box1)
      We are going to move to another windows box running same OS 2003 R2. (box2)

I already created a database on box 2. Everthing is same (eg. all the drive letters except size).

Now, I know I can do export/import to import the data into the box2 database, but the data to be imported is like 50+ Gigs. I think that would take me 2 + days with all the indexes (over 150).

Is there a better and faster way to do so? Can someone guide me/direct me/point to a guide that can help me.

Appreciate all your help

Thanks
      Munish
        • 1. Re: import data
          sb92075
          Munish wrote:
          Hi,

V8.1.7 was obsoleted & unsupported BEFORE Windows 2003 was RELEASED!

I already created a database on box 2. Everthing is same (eg. all the drive letters except size).

Now, I know I can do export/import to import the data into the box2 database, but the data to be imported is like 50+ Gigs. I think that would take me 2 + days with all the indexes (over 150).

Is there a better and faster way to do so? Can someone guide me/direct me/point to a guide that can help me.
          SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
          then do OS file copies from old system to new system & then simply do
          STARTUP
          • 2. Re: import data
            Munish
            Thanks, but when you say copy OS files.
            What exactly am I copying?.

I forgot to mention one thing. The name of the box2 is different than box1. Will that matter once I copy over all OS files?

All tablespaces I guess, even control files? what else?
            • 3. Re: import data
              sb92075
              Munish wrote:
              Thanks, but when you say copy OS files.
              What exactly am I copying?.

I forgot to mention one thing. The name of the box2 is different than box1. Will that matter once I copy over all OS files?

You need to copy all the files that are OPEN while Oracle RDBMS is online & available;
              including REDO files.
              • 4. Re: import data

In control you will have box1 DB name, When you import into the BOX2 ( as you said box2 having other name) it wont recognize....

Instead of this, why dont you do DB clonning in Different sever( BOX1 to BOX2)??
                • 5. Re: import data
                  Lubiez Jean-Valentin
                  Hello,

As previously posted, the fastest way in your case is "copying" (cloning) the Database from "box1" to "box2".

You'll find below a tip about this kind of operation on Windows Server:

http://www.pgts.com.au/cgi-bin/pgtsj?file=pgtsj0211b

On the other hand, you should think about Upgrading to Oracle *11.2* as Oracle *8.1.7* is not supported at all:

http://www.oracle.com/us/support/library/lifetime-support-technology-069183.pdf

You'll find here some materials for a successfull Upgrade:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e23633/preup.htm#i1007718

Hope this help.
                  Best regards,
                  Jean-Valentin
                  • 6. Re: import data
                    Saugat Chatterjee
                    You can better go for cloning if you are constrained with time,use RMAN duplicate command for cloning the database from one location to another