This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2012 8:47 PM by imran khan RSS

Issue with STandby Archive apply

imran khan Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated
The version of OS is RHEL 5.7 and Oracle 10g DB version(10.2.0.5) .

We have a gap of nearly 5000 log files between primary and standby now. I want to resolve this gap. What are the different ways we can resolve the gap. What I know is the following :

-- The backup of priimary is directly taken to tapes. I cant restore all the logs at once in a disk on the db server due to lack of space.

-- I can go for rebuilding of the standby database by taking the incremental backup of production with respect to the last SCN recorded in the standby database but not sure how to esitmate the size of the backup from that SCN to the current SCN.

Please help me out whether to go for first option or else the second one or is ther any other way to do it.

Regards,

imran khan
  • 1. Re: Issue with STandby Archive apply
    Vijay.Cherukuri Newbie
    What is the size of the production database ?

how much is the average size of the each archive log file ?

I would suggest RMAN L1 backup is the best possible option .
  • 2. Re: Issue with STandby Archive apply
    imran khan Journeyer
    The size of the db is 974 GB. Gotto find out the growth from the last SCN applied on Standby. The size of each log file is 100 MB at an average.

Regards,

imran khan
  • 3. Re: Issue with STandby Archive apply
    mseberg Guru
    Hello;

You have a good source of information on this in the same city you post from :

RMAN Incremental Backups to Roll Forward a Physical Standby Database

http://www.oracle-ckpt.com/rman-incremental-backups-to-roll-forward-a-physical-standby-database-2/

Given the huge numbers you would do well to find the cause. A rebuild might be faster, but I would for sure want to know why this happened so history does not repeat itself.

I'm fairly paranoid about archive gap. I have a script which runs daily and e-mails the result. Won't help with this, but something to consider for later.

Best Regards

mseberg

Edited by: mseberg on Apr 13, 2012 10:01 PM
  • 4. Re: Issue with STandby Archive apply
    Vijay.Cherukuri Newbie
    so 5000 archives each 100Mb average = 500GB vs 974 Gb (PROD Db size) .

I will go for L1 backup.
  • 5. Re: Issue with STandby Archive apply
    imran khan Journeyer
    This happend because i found that the log_archive_dest_2 was deffered and it dint apply for last 10 days. daily it generated 400-500 of logs . I asked the other DBA and he refused to explain. I am new to the project and now i have been given the responsibillity.

I think rebuild would the best option to use but how to utilise the space. How to estimate the size of the backup from the last scn been applied on the standby?

Regard,

imrran khan
  • 6. Re: Issue with STandby Archive apply
    mseberg Guru
    OK;

I might consider "Create a Standby database from an active database using RMAN"

I've done it a few times and you could avoid the "Space" question.

Here are my short notes :

http://www.visi.com/~mseberg/standby_creation_from_active_database_using_rman.html

Best of luck on the rebuild.

Best Regards

mseberg

h2. You are correct

My Bad, this is Oracle 11 feature. Very late here.

Edited by: mseberg on Apr 14, 2012 2:29 AM

If you use RMAN Duplicate double check you Standby afterwards and make sure you have Standby Redo Logs. There seems to be an issue with Oracle 10.

alter database recover managed standby database cancel;

alter database add standby logfile group <n> (<filename>) size <size>;

alter database recover managed standby database disconnect;

ms

Edited by: mseberg on Apr 14, 2012 4:19 PM
  • 7. Re: Issue with STandby Archive apply
    imran khan Journeyer
    I have stated that we have Oracle 10g(10.2.0.5) database. I am not sure whether "Create a Standby database from an active database using RMAN" applies to Oracle 10g . I think its a feature in oracle 11g. Please make me correct if i am wrong.

Regards,

imran khan
  • 8. Re: Issue with STandby Archive apply
    Shivananda Rao Guru
    I am not sure whether "Create a Standby database from an active database using RMAN" applies to Oracle 10g
    Creating a standby using "From active database" feature is not with oracle 10g. It comes with 11g. In 10g, you'll have to take the backup of the primary database and the standby controlfile backup of the primary and then create the standby database.

If the size of the primary database is huge and if you cannot opt for re-creating the standby database freshly, then you can go for the roll forward method (Roll Forwarding the Physical Standby Database). The procedure for roll forward is same for 10g and 11g.

You can refer this http://shivanandarao.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/roll-forward-physical-standby-database-using-rman-incremental-backup/

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points