This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2012 3:05 PM by 831379 RSS

SQL code not working inside Java

930431 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Below is my code from java. here, i'm trying to execute below sql code inside my java coding. its preety straight -

ResultSet rs = null;
PreparedStatement prepStmt = null;

String statement="select * from TIMINGTABLE WHERE COUNTRY = 'USA' AND RE_DATE >= TO_DATE('04/11/2012','MM/DD/YYYY') order by COUNTRY";

prepStmt = con.prepareStatement(statement);
rs = prepStmt.executeQuery();

dats it. but, its giving this error ---- SQL syntax error: the token "(" was not expected here

now, here, when i simply remove this part from the above sql line ----- AND RE_DATE >= TO_DATE('04/11/2012','MM/DD/YYYY') -----the code works perfectly.

RE_DATE is a date field in the sql table.

I even tried this option too - TO_DATE(RE_DATE, 'MM/DD/YYYY') >= TO_DATE('04/11/2012','MM/DD/YYYY')
which is giving same error

please help

-prodyut
  • 1. Re: SQL code not working inside Java
    800411 Newbie
    927428 wrote:
    Below is my code from java. here, i'm trying to execute below sql code inside my java coding. its preety straight -

ResultSet rs = null;
    PreparedStatement prepStmt = null;

String statement="select * from TIMINGTABLE WHERE COUNTRY = 'USA' AND RE_DATE >= TO_DATE('04/11/2012','MM/DD/YYYY') order by COUNTRY";

prepStmt = con.prepareStatement(statement);
    rs = prepStmt.executeQuery();

dats it. but, its giving this error ---- SQL syntax error: the token "(" was not expected here

now, here, when i simply remove this part from the above sql line ----- AND RE_DATE >= TO_DATE('04/11/2012','MM/DD/YYYY') -----the code works perfectly.

RE_DATE is a date field in the sql table.

I even tried this option too - TO_DATE(RE_DATE, 'MM/DD/YYYY') >= TO_DATE('04/11/2012','MM/DD/YYYY')
    which is giving same error

please help

-prodyut
    What kind of DB you use?
    How do you connect to it?
    (If you use ODBC for example, that won't work)
  • 2. Re: SQL code not working inside Java
    930431 Newbie
    Hi,

connection type is jdbc connection and the database is sql server

- prodyut
  • 3. Re: SQL code not working inside Java
    aksarben Journeyer
    Since the error clearly states you have SQL syntax error, this is not a Java question.
  • 4. Re: SQL code not working inside Java
    800411 Newbie
    927428 wrote:
    Hi,

connection type is jdbc connection and the database is sql server

- prodyut
    TO_DATE is Oracle function, not sqlserver ....

Try this: CAST('11/22/2012' as datetime)
  • 5. Re: SQL code not working inside Java
    831379 Newbie
    927428 wrote:
    A Statement object, or in your case a PreparedStatement which is a subinterface of Statement, is used to send your SQL statement to the DBMS where it then executes. You do not execute any SQL code inside your java application.

The JDBC API deals with the problem of variations of SQL conformance among database vendors by allowing you to pass a String, any String to the DBMS by way of the Statement. So the burden rests with you, the developer, to know and understand any particulars with respect to the SQL functions and so forth that are supported by the DBMS that your application uses.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points