13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2012 7:54 AM by 930051 RSS

No response on port 8080

This post relates to Apex, but it seems like it may be the DB install causing it. So posting in both places. Installed XE 11g with on Oracle Linux 5 with apparently no problems. But Apex does not appear on port 8080 and a port checker says port 8080 inactive.

I also installed earlier on Windows, with no such problem.

Any ideas on possible cause/diagnostic?
      Vince
        • 1. Re: No response on port 8080
          Udo
          Installed XE 11g with on Oracle Linux 5 with apparently no problems. But Apex does not appear on port 8080 and a port checker says port 8080 inactive.
          I'd say obviously there have been problems with your installation...
          Now, as you've mentioned in the other threads, your database basically seems to be up and running. So please post the output of
          lsnrctl status
          And please also provide some more information on your access path, i.e. are you trying to access your APEX locally or remotely?
          What's the output of
          sqlplus / as sysdba
          SQL> select dbms_xdb.gethttpport from dual;
          -Udo

Edited by: Udo on 14.04.2012 20:38
          removed reference to threads that have been deleted recently
          • 2. Re: No response on port 8080
            Good advice Udo. I will close the others threads.

The response from lsnrctl and SQLPLUS are below. I had done both of these but gained no insight.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC_FOR_XE)))
            STATUS of the LISTENER
            ------------------------
            Alias LISTENER
            Version TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production
            Start Date 12-APR-2012 11:27:13
            Uptime 0 days 7 hr. 22 min. 35 sec
            Trace Level off
            Security ON: Local OS Authentication
            SNMP OFF
            Default Service XE
            Listener Parameter File /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/xe/network/admin/listener.ora
            Listener Log File /u01/app/oracle/diag/tnslsnr/vbodsworth-pc/listener/alert/log.xml
            Listening Endpoints Summary...
            (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=EXTPROC_FOR_XE)))
            (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=vbodsworth-pc)(PORT=1521)))
            Services Summary...
            Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
            Instance "PLSExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
            The command completed successfully

The DBA query returns.

GETHTTPPORT
            -----------
            • 3. Re: No response on port 8080
              And I should have answered that this is local access only. But it doesn't work either, unsurprisingly, for remote access. I have enabled the remote access capability just to try it. V
              • 4. Re: No response on port 8080
                orafad
                927048 wrote:
                Listener Parameter File /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/xe/network/admin/listener.ora
                Services Summary...
                No sign of Service "XE", despite database instance is started.

A simple thing to try:

lsnrctl stop
                rename listener.ora
                lsnrctl start

Wait more than one minute and post anew output from lsnrctl stat.
                • 5. Re: No response on port 8080
                  user5579 - oracle
                  I will try your suggestion. But I am a long way away from the instance for a couple of days, so there will be a delay. v
                  • 6. Re: No response on port 8080
                    Followed the suggestion with the listener.ora. But no change with status of port 8080.

output from lsnrctl as follows.
                    LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production on 14-APR-2012 19:16:35

Copyright (c) 1991, 2011, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=)(PORT=1521))
                    STATUS of the LISTENER
                    ------------------------
                    Alias LISTENER
                    Start Date 14-APR-2012 19:16:09
                    Uptime 0 days 0 hr. 0 min. 25 sec
                    Trace Level off
                    SNMP OFF
                    Listener Log File /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/xe/log/diag/tnslsnr/vbodsworth-pc/listener/alert/log.xml
                    The listener supports no services
                    • 7. Re: No response on port 8080
                      Udo
                      This appears to be even less than before, but...
                      It can take up to 1 min until all services have been registered. Did you wait a little longer before you stopped that attempt?
                      If so and the result is still not any better, could you take a look into the alert log
                      Listener Log File /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/xe/log/diag/tnslsnr/vbodsworth-pc/listener/alert/log.xml
                      It would probably be a good idea to stop the listener, delete that file and restart it, so you can be sure you only see messages that correspond to the current state of your listener.
                      If you see any error message (e.g. ORA-<NUMBER>), please post it here.

-Udo
                      • 8. Re: No response on port 8080
                        orafad
                        927048 wrote:
                        Followed the suggestion with the listener.ora. But no change with status of port 8080.
                        Not completely. Missed "Wait more than one minute "...
                        Any change (in lsnrctl output) after doing so?

Specially in the vital sections, with endpoints and services:
                        No firewall (iptables) on the host that may be blocking connections?
                        • 9. Re: No response on port 8080
                          Waiteda couple of hours.
                          Output is
                          LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production on 15-APR-2012 17:21:17

STATUS of the LISTENER
                          ------------------------
                          Alias LISTENER
                          Start Date 15-APR-2012 14:35:50
                          Uptime 0 days 2 hr. 45 min. 26 sec
                          Trace Level off
                          SNMP OFF
                          Listener Log File /u01/app/oracle/diag/tnslsnr/vbodsworth-pc/listener/alert/log.xml

Stopped the listener, removed the log, restarted, but no log produced.

The Listenere status is as below.
                          LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production on 15-APR-2012 17:29:41

STATUS of the LISTENER
                          ------------------------
                          Alias LISTENER
                          Start Date 15-APR-2012 17:27:07
                          Uptime 0 days 0 hr. 2 min. 34 sec
                          Trace Level off
                          SNMP OFF

I restored the listener.ora and the staus after was as at the beginning, but still no log file
                          STATUS of the LISTENER
                          ------------------------
                          Alias LISTENER
                          Start Date 15-APR-2012 17:34:52
                          Uptime 0 days 0 hr. 2 min. 35 sec
                          Trace Level off
                          SNMP OFF
                          Default Service XE
                          (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=EXTPROC_FOR_XE)))
                          Services Summary...
                          Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
                          Instance "PLSExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                          • 10. Re: No response on port 8080
                            Since I was making no progress, I de-installed and re-installed. Again all seemed to work, but in fact things have regressed. Now the listener will not start at all. It repportts no visble message on install or whene booting, but if I try and get the satus I get:
                            LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production on 17-APR-2012 11:38:58

TNS-12541: TNS:no listener
                            TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
                            TNS-00511: No listener
                            Linux Error: 111: Connection refused
                            Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=vbodsworth-pc)(PORT=1521)))
                            TNS-12541: TNS:no listener
                            TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
                            TNS-00511: No listener
                            Linux Error: 111: Connection refused

And if I try and start it
                            LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production on 17-APR-2012 11:39:57

Starting /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/xe/bin/tnslsnr: please wait...

TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production
                            NL-00280: error creating log stream /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/xe/network/log/listener.log
                            NL-00278: cannot open log file
                            SNL-00016: snlfohd: error opening file
                            Linux Error: 13: Permission denied

Listener failed to start. See the error message(s) above...
                            • 11. Re: No response on port 8080
                              Udo
                              NL-00280: error creating log stream /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/xe/network/log/listener.log
                              NL-00278: cannot open log file
                              SNL-00016: snlfohd: error opening file
                              Linux Error: 13: Permission denied
                              Seems your user (probably oracle or at least a dba-member) does not have write access to the log file. Possibly your uninstall didn't remove all files, the user has been recreated with a new user id and the file still is owned by the old user id, or something like that.
                              Please verify that +/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/xe/network/log/listener.log+ has the following access rights
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba
                              Also make sure that the hostname you have in your listener.ora is the same as returned by
                              uname -n
                              -Udo
                              • 12. Re: No response on port 8080
                                Thanks Udo. I did check those things before, and everything seemed OK. So I deinstalled again, manually deleted all old files 9I saw that they were still there) then re-nstalled, and I still couldn't get any result.
                                So I then removed apex, downloaded and re-stalled apex and the apex listener, and everything now works.

So I am closing thsi as "answered" although the original problem is still not understood (by me at least). But I have a working system, so that will suffice.
                                • 13. Re: No response on port 8080
                                  As a further footnote this install, with the re-installed Apex, now works with or without the dedicated Apex Listener, provided that the listener.ora file is renamed/removed. V