13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2012 9:57 PM by 930801 RSS

Oracle 11g install issues on Windows 7

I have had some problems installing Oracle on Windows 7 in that it seemed to crash while checking prerequisites. After several attempts it for some reason continued the installation. I had accepted the default settings and was installing from a USB drive to the same drive. The install did have a few error messages along the way such as "file not found. F:\app\ben\product\11.2.0\dbhome_2\oc4j\j2ee\oc4j_applications\applications\em.ear" and ""file not found. F:\app\ben\product\11.2.0\dbhome_2\ctx\admin\dr0ulib.sql.sbs". Also, towards the end it gave a message "Template General_Purpose.dbc does not exist. Please specify an existing template for database creation. <OK>". Despite these errors it seemed to successfully install. On the other hand I cannot log in to it as I attempt to try to set up some kind of basic database for myself. I go to the BIN directory and run sqlplus with "system" as the username and the password I had specified, but get the error "ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error". Googling around a bit I tried to see if Oracle Services was running, but only saw OracleMTSRecoveryService and OracleRemExecService (and could not work out how to get any service running beyond what was listed there). I set up the path ORACLE_HOME to the BIN directory but there was not change in the situation. I just need a to set up a basic database on my PC so I can mess around with it. How can I get this going?

Thanks,
      Ben