This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2012 8:05 AM by EdStevens Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: alter system  scope=spfile not taking
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Currently Being Moderated
    Ed,

I know its going to sound stupid but may be , I still have to have my morning tea so I am not able to see the obvious point. You said,
    At this point, I renamed the just-created pfile to something like initORCL.sav. Then created a new pfile from the ASM-based spfile - CREATE PFILE FROM SPFILE='+ASM\spfile.ora'. This new pfile was much more extensive than the first, and there were the parameters that were overriding the ones I was trying to change. I hand-modified this pfile, including some other things I found in the first, then created a new default spfile from it. So at this point I had the default spfile without it pulling in a second one that would override what I did.
    So you mean, you created a new spfile in the ASM , is it correct? And the one which was available on the file system, was it deleted?

I know I am sounding so stupid but still, can't seem to see some thing really simple I am afraid :( .

Regards
    Aman....
  • 16. Re: alter system  scope=spfile not taking
    EdStevens Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aman.... wrote:
    Ed,

I know its going to sound stupid but may be , I still have to have my morning tea so I am not able to see the obvious point. You said,
    At this point, I renamed the just-created pfile to something like initORCL.sav. Then created a new pfile from the ASM-based spfile - CREATE PFILE FROM SPFILE='+ASM\spfile.ora'. This new pfile was much more extensive than the first, and there were the parameters that were overriding the ones I was trying to change. I hand-modified this pfile, including some other things I found in the first, then created a new default spfile from it. So at this point I had the default spfile without it pulling in a second one that would override what I did.
    So you mean, you created a new spfile in the ASM , is it correct? And the one which was available on the file system, was it deleted?

I know I am sounding so stupid but still, can't seem to see some thing really simple I am afraid :( .

Regards
    Aman....
    No, I created a new spfile on the OS file system, in the default location of %ORACLE_HOME%\database\spfile%ORACLE_SID%.ora.

Starting point was 2 spfiles:
    - one in the default, non-asm location, which included the SPFILE parameter, pointing to . . .
    - a second spfile in ASM.

So I,
    - created one pfile from the default spfile
    - created a second pfile from asm-based spfile
    - copied key parms from the first pfile to the second, createing a pfile that represented the contents of both spfiles - but NOT including the spfile parameter.
    - create a new default spfile from this combined pfile
    x:> set ORACL_SID=mysid
    x:> sqlplus / as sysdba
    -- connected to idle instance
    sql> create spfile from pfile='mynewpfile.ora';
    at this point I now have a default name and location spfile. It has all the parms I need, and does not have that SPFILE parm pointing off to a secondary spfile.
    sql> startup nomount;
    sql> show parameter ....
    And I see that all of my parms are now what is expected. I am starting the instance with the default spfile, that file has everything I need and nothing I don't want.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points