7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2012 5:05 PM by 942622 RSS

11g Express problems on Windows 7 x64

Dear All,

I've met with some problems. The more i dig the less i understand.
      All started with problems during installation. "No key_xe.reg". Managed with this by renaming OracleMTSRecoveryService.reg to key_xe.reg in temp folder during installation (solution from XE11: KEY_XE.reg cannot be loaded on WIN7 prof 64b
      Then i got problem with access problems to http://127.0.0.1/apex:8080

Checked listener, tnsping and sqlplus login

lsnrctl status
      -----
      LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production on 12-└╧╨-2012 10:55
      :08

Copyright (c) 1991, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC_FOR_XE)))
      STATUS of the LISTENER

Alias LISTENER
      Version TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Produ
      ction
      Start Date 12-└╧╨-2012 10:55:00
      Uptime 0 days 0 hr. 0 min. 7 sec
      Trace Level off
      Security ON: Local OS Authentication
      SNMP OFF
      Default Service XE
      Listener Parameter File D:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\a
      dmin\listener.ora
      Listener Log File D:\oraclexe\app\oracle\diag\tnslsnr\mscc0052\listener\
      alert\log.xml
      Listening Endpoints Summary...
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROC_FOR_XEipc)))
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=mscc0052.msc.skf.se)(PORT=1521)))
      Services Summary...
      Service "CLRExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
      Instance "CLRExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
      Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
      Instance "PLSExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
      The command completed successfully
      -----

tnsping XE
      -----
      TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production on 12-└╧╨-2
      012 10:56:47

Copyright (c) 1997, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:
      D:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
      Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = mscc0052
      .msc.skf.se)(PORT = 1521)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME =
      XE)))
      OK (0 msec)
      -----

sqlplus
      -----
      SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.2.0 Production on ╫Є └яЁ 12 11:20:20 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.

ERROR:
      ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect
      descriptor
      -----

Here are settings files:

listener.ora
      -----
      SID_LIST_LISTENER =
      (SID_LIST =
      (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
      (ORACLE_HOME = D:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server)
      (PROGRAM = extproc)
      )
      (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = CLRExtProc)
      (ORACLE_HOME = D:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server)
      (PROGRAM = extproc)
      )
      )

LISTENER =
      (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
      (DESCRIPTION =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC_FOR_XE))
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = mscc0052.msc.skf.se)(PORT = 1521))
      )
      )

DEFAULT_SERVICE_LISTENER = (XE)
      -----

sqlnet.ora
      -----
      SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (none)
      -----

tnsname.ora
      ------

XE =
      (DESCRIPTION =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = mscc0052.msc.skf.se)(PORT = 1521))
      (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
      (SERVICE_NAME = XE)
      )
      )

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
      (DESCRIPTION =
      (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
      )
      (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SID = PLSExtProc)
      (PRESENTATION = RO)
      )
      )

ORACLR_CONNECTION_DATA =
      (DESCRIPTION =
      (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
      )
      (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SID = CLRExtProc)
      (PRESENTATION = RO)
      )
      )
      ------

Tried to remove listener.ora, stopped/started service, waited 10 minutes, result:

------
      LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production on 12-└╧╨-2012 11:30
      :35

Copyright (c) 1991, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=)(PORT=1521))
      STATUS of the LISTENER

Alias LISTENER
      Version TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Produ
      ction
      Start Date 12-└╧╨-2012 11:29:51
      Uptime 0 days 0 hr. 10 min. 44 sec
      Trace Level off
      Security ON: Local OS Authentication
      SNMP OFF
      Listener Log File D:\oraclexe\app\oracle\diag\tnslsnr\mscc0052\listener\
      alert\log.xml
      The listener supports no services
      -------

Looks like XE is't even created. But service is running, oracle.exe is in process explorer, started with XE suffix
      Any ideas?
        • 1. Re: 11g Express problems on Windows 7 x64
          Udo
          Hello,
          I've met with some problems. The more i dig the less i understand.
          All started with problems during installation. "No key_xe.reg". Managed with this by renaming OracleMTSRecoveryService.reg to key_xe.reg in temp folder during installation (solution from XE11: KEY_XE.reg cannot be loaded on WIN7 prof 64b
          I think you are aware that Windows x64 is not supported by the installer, but it seems you are still surprised that some things don't work as intended in that scenario...
          Then i got problem with access problems to http://127.0.0.1/apex:8080
          It should be http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex , but I guess this is just a mistake in this post...
          That's an interesting point... Is this hostname actually mapped to an interface of your machine? Does it resolve to a static IP?
          Is your host part of some domain infrastructure? If so, what did you do to ensure the database is running with appropriate OS privileges? (E.g., you needed to run the installer with "elevated" admin privileges).
          sqlplus
          How exactly did you call sqlplus?
          Did you try
          sqlplus / as sysdba
          If not, please do so and post the output.

-Udo
          • 2. Re: 11g Express problems on Windows 7 x64
            Hello Udo,

Thank you for answer!

Homepage address is really just mistype :)

>
            Is your host part of some domain infrastructure? If so, what did you do to ensure the database is running with appropriate OS privileges? (E.g., you needed to run the installer with "elevated" admin privileges).
            >
            Host gets dynamic IP, it's part of domain. Installer was run with different users from local admin up to domain admin - no effect.
            Host have to be able to work outside of domain too. Host is notebook for service engineer

>
            How exactly did you call sqlplus?
            Did you try
            >
            I called with sqlplus SYSDBA/password@XE

result from sqlplus / as sysdba
            ERROR:
            ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
            • 3. Re: 11g Express problems on Windows 7 x64
              Udo
              Host gets dynamic IP, it's part of domain. Installer was run with different users from local admin up to domain admin - no effect.
              Dynamic IPs can be a problem in that scenario. It would be recommended to install using a local loopback adapter as target instead. This doesn't mean you can't access the database listener afterwards, but it has a kind of "stable" basis, especially when the notebook is not connected to your corporate network.
              The installation should be successful when running with a local admin account. Perhaps your domain policy didn't allow to create the local group "ORA_DBA". Only users that are member of that group will be able to use the OS-based authentication and hence have "sufficient privleges" for that approach.
              I called with sqlplus SYSDBA/password@XE
              This should work anyway. But the error message you received indicates that the service couldn't be started. Probably the account that your service is supposed to use is not member of the ORA_DBA group or some domain policy forbids the execution, e.g. because the privilege to run as service has been disabled.
              If it is using your local system account and you aren't able to add this to "ORA_DBA", you may try to create a local account (e.g. "ORACLE"), add it to "ORA_DBA" and the local admin group (or something equivalent, I don't know the exact policies needed...) and change the XE-Services to run on behalf of that account instead. Of course, that account also needs the right to run as service...

-Udo
              • 4. Re: 11g Express problems on Windows 7 x64
                Udo,

Thank you for reply again!

I have no problem with ORA_DBA group, it is created by installer, and users can be easily designated to this group.
                We have double checked group policy with our IT admin - no restrictions.

I begin to think that it's just domain bug. We will try to move machine out of domain. Fix users, install g11, check and configure all and only then move back to domain.
                • 5. Re: 11g Express problems on Windows 7 x64
                  This solution from korean forums helped:
                  https://kr.forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=580094
                  >
                  Uninstall oracle express edition and soon deactivates windows firewall. Disconnect the network cable because I am in a domain, to avoid system policies.

Restart the PC and soon setup again oracle express edition.

Once installed, it tries to connect from web broser and from sqlplus and everything works correctly. Later it connects the cable, restart and everything carry on working well.
                  >

Also had to fix sqlnet.ora for SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (none) to make stuff work

So it is some unknown hidden domain problem :(
                  • 6. Re: 11g Express problems on Windows 7 x64
                    Udo
                    This solution from korean forums helped:
                    https://kr.forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=580094
                    The thread also exists in the general forum view: {thread:id=580094}
                    Also had to fix sqlnet.ora for SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (none) to make stuff work
                    That's usually only necessary when local authentication is not possible for services, which seems to be a common setup in domain environments.
                    So it is some unknown hidden domain problem
                    Probably.
                    You could also try to workaround by installing the database into a VM if running the VM software would be applicable on that notebook. That way, you could get a clean installation for your XE instance. Of course, booting it up will cost some extra time, but from my personal experience, developers also like the advantages of being able to adjust OS parameters for the database, and that's only possible when running in a VM.

-Udo

P.S.: If you found any answer helpful, please mark it accordingly, so other users searching for a similar issue will be able to spot relevant posts easily. Thanks!
                    • 7. Re: 11g Express problems on Windows 7 x64
                      Thanks all for providing/contributing steps for fix. Let me share my observations

1)     Modified the hosts under C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc to add the following . But I am not sure if this is actually helped me. I tried deleting this and it worked as well.

127.0.0.1 localhost
                      <ip address>      <host>

2)     It is true that the network cable should be disconnected before running setup.exe. I didn't turn off firewall settings. This is another surprise for me. I don’t know what is happening during install if network is not available.

3)     I followed the steps for creating key_xe.reg. Able to find the folder under temp that contains OracleMTSRecoveryService.reg. Copied OracleMTSRecoveryService.reg and renamed to key_xe.reg during installation. After the installation is completed you may have to restart the computer and see if the PATH has new <ORACLE_HOME>\bin as a first element. ( You can connect network cable if you can’t login after reboot)

4)     Stopped services OracleServiceXE and OracleXETNSListener.

5)     I had to change the SYSTEM variables ORACLE_HOME and TNS_ADMIN, changed it to point to ORACLE_HOME=C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server and TNS_ADMIN=C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\ADMIN.

I tried to avoid changing system variables by setting them in a batch file and run it in a separate cmd prompt. But it looks lsnrctl start looks the values in SYSTEM variables.

6)     Renamed listerner.ora to listener.ora.old( kind of deleting it) at C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\ADMIN.

7)     Checked the network cable <Connect the network cable if it is not connected>. Started the services OracleServiceXE and OracleXETNSListener. Surprised to see that listener.ora is not created again.

8)     Finally started cmd as an Administrator and checked the status by running lsnrctl status. I could see XE and Web app endpoints with 8080

….

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=<host>)(PORT=1521)))
                      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=<host>)(PORT=8080))(Presentation
                      =HTTP)(Session=RAW))
                      Services Summary...
                      Service "XEXDB" has 1 instance(s).
                      Instance "xe", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                      Service "xe" has 1 instance(s).
                      Instance "xe", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...