13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2012 2:00 AM by 415289 RSS

rman won't delete backup several days past recovery window

user34836
      Good Morning,

My database is on a windows box version 11.2.02.0 64 bit system

I am having a problem with rman releasing old backups on a training database. There isn’t much activity on it but I need to have it operational. As a result my flash recovery area was almost 100% full.
      In the beginning when I noticed this problem we had a FLA of 50gig, after working the problem for a few hours I bumped it up to 100gig to avoid it shutting down. Still after trying several things including the crosscheck all, delete obsolete and delete expired commands the old backups won’t delete. When I run the list backup summary command I have backups listed beyond the window recovery.
      At that time my recovery window was at 7 days and the backups were within that window. It stood to reason if I shortened the recovery window to 2 days the backups with dates beyond that they would delete but they don’t. I have backups listed in the backup summary past the recovery and yet they still won’t delete. I have backups listed from the 4th of April and this is now the 16 of April.
      I even tried the following command
      Delete force noprompt obsolete recovery window of 2 days
      But with no luck.
      Is there some other command that I am not aware of that I can use?

Does anyone have any ideas on this matter?
      Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,
      Al
        • 1. Re: rman won't delete backup several days past recovery window
          sybrand_b
          Al.

Sorry to say so, but your post is a bit vague. Usually RMAN is right and the meaning of the recovery window settings is not properly understood.
          When you set a recovery window of 7 days, it means you want your database to go back in time consistently to 7 days ago.
          To restore a database RMAN will only consider full or level 0 backups.
          Let's say after making a full backup a year ago you stopped making full backups and you only made incrementals:
          RMAN would still need the backup of 1 year ago, and would not delete it.
          So, a 'recovery window of 7 days' and 'backups'? What type of backups?
          Likely RMAN is right and one would need to verify that by seeing further detail.

---------
          Sybrand Bakker
          Senior Oracle DBA
          • 2. Re: rman won't delete backup several days past recovery window
            Centinul
            What kind of backups do you take (full or incremental) and how often? Can you provide the output of your RMAN summary command as well as the output of the configure command?

If I had to wager a guess your last full backup predates your 2 day recovery window and is therefore needed to meet that recovery window.
            • 3. Re: rman won't delete backup several days past recovery window
              user34836
              Hi Sybrand,

Sorry for not being too specific, I apologize for that and it is my error. My backups are a level zero but unfortunately I cannot post directly from that machine. What other information you may need? I will retrieve it. Right now we are struggling just to get a good cold backup going on this thing. It has about a terabyte of data. While I got you here I did a shutdown immediate in rman and it seems like it is hanging. What can I do about this? Just wait or is there something else going on here I am not aware of? There is no one on the system now in the training room.

Thanks for your assistance.

regards,

al
              • 4. Re: rman won't delete backup several days past recovery window
                While I got you here I did a shutdown immediate in rman and it seems like it is hanging. What can I do about this? Just wait or is there something else going on here I am not aware of?
                check database alert log for more detail on this.
                • 5. Re: rman won't delete backup several days past recovery window
                  user34836
                  Thanks for the suggestion I will look at that now and get back.

regards,

al
                  • 6. Re: rman won't delete backup several days past recovery window
                    user34836
                    Good Morning,

Here is my alert log file annotated.

ARC3:     ERROR 19809 Creating archive log file to ‘E:\flash recovery area\....
                    Mon April 16 08:34 2012
                    ERROR IN FILE C:\app\oracle\diag\..\train..trc
                    ORA-19815 : WARINING db_recovery_file_dest_size of 107,000,000,000 bytes is used and has 0 bytes remaining
                    You have the following options to free up recovery area:
                    1.     Adjust retention policy
                         2 . Add disk space and icreas the dest_size parameter
                    2.     Delete unnecessary files with the delete command using crosscheck and delete expired.

There is something funny going on here. The database is hardly used and I just recently bumped it up another 50 gig from the original size of 50g. So it had a 100g total and now the alert log is saying it needs more FLA and there were no new backups taken since the 6th that I can remember from the
                    If you recommend to just add another 50gig I will probably do so but I still can’t delete those expired backups which are level zero.

Thanks for your help on this matter.

Regards,

al
                    • 7. Re: rman won't delete backup several days past recovery window
                      You just want to increase the FRA size.

E.g : Before:
                      show parameter db_recovery_file_dest_size;
                      alter system SET DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST_SIZE = 10G SCOPE=BOTH SID='*';

After:

show parameter db_recovery_file_dest_size;

Thanks,
                      Saravanan R
                      • 8. Re: rman won't delete backup several days past recovery window
                        issue is here
                        ORA-19815 : WARINING db_recovery_file_dest_size of 107,000,000,000 bytes is used and has 0 bytes remaining
                        • 9. Re: rman won't delete backup several days past recovery window
                          you can also see the solution

You have the following options to free up recovery area:
                          1. Adjust retention policy
                          2 . Add disk space and icreas the dest_size parameter
                          2. Delete unnecessary files with the delete command using crosscheck and delete expired.

most probably archivelog taken all space,so delete it by rman.
                          • 10. Re: rman won't delete backup several days past recovery window
                            user34836
                            Morning,

Yes that is what i am doing now but I got a MMON process that is dead. I tried restarting it with the correct pid but that didn't work. Then I shutdown immediate and now it seems to be hung.

I am thinking I will have to get permission to get to the services in the control panel and shut it down from there with the admin help.

Any thoughts?

thanks

al
                            • 11. Re: rman won't delete backup several days past recovery window
                              user34836
                              Hi KulJeet,

You guys are good. It turns out I had to push my recovery area upto 600gig to get the database to start up.

Now for your other comment about the backup that is out of the required recovery window may be on target. My last full backup level zero was April 6. But I also have two other zero level backup on April 4 and also on April 5th. Our redundency is only set to one so I would think that these two expired backups would delete.

I even tried the following command: delete force noprompt obsolete recovery window of 4 days and rman still won't delete them.

Any ideas???

thanks for looking at this in advance.

al
                              • 12. Re: rman won't delete backup several days past recovery window
                                user34836
                                Good Morning all,

Well the issue has been solved. Like I had said before we managed to start the database. It turned out that the required FRA to start the db was 12 times the original size! We started with 50gig and in reality I had to increase it to 600gig just to get the darn thing started.

Next I knew there were expired files we could not delete. My co worker who had more experience ran the crosscheck copy then the delete expired copy commands after I had left for the day. This deleted 33 files in the FRA. The amount of expired files is now zero.

As for me I was really reluctant to increase the FRA due to a lack of experience even thought the alert log said to do so.

I guess paying attention to the alert log is alot better than banging yourself in the head with a lead pipe like I did yesterday.

Lesson learned.

And thanks to all who chimed in with help.

regards,

al
                                • 13. Re: rman won't delete backup several days past recovery window
                                  Please close the thread if you feel you have the answer and keep the Oracle forum clean.
                                  https://forums.oracle.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=885