1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2012 10:05 AM by EdStevens Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: alter system  scope=spfile not taking
        Aman....
        Ed,

I know its going to sound stupid but may be , I still have to have my morning tea so I am not able to see the obvious point. You said,
        At this point, I renamed the just-created pfile to something like initORCL.sav. Then created a new pfile from the ASM-based spfile - CREATE PFILE FROM SPFILE='+ASM\spfile.ora'. This new pfile was much more extensive than the first, and there were the parameters that were overriding the ones I was trying to change. I hand-modified this pfile, including some other things I found in the first, then created a new default spfile from it. So at this point I had the default spfile without it pulling in a second one that would override what I did.
        So you mean, you created a new spfile in the ASM , is it correct? And the one which was available on the file system, was it deleted?

I know I am sounding so stupid but still, can't seem to see some thing really simple I am afraid :( .

Regards
        Aman....
        • 16. Re: alter system  scope=spfile not taking
          EdStevens
          Aman.... wrote:
          Ed,

I know its going to sound stupid but may be , I still have to have my morning tea so I am not able to see the obvious point. You said,
          At this point, I renamed the just-created pfile to something like initORCL.sav. Then created a new pfile from the ASM-based spfile - CREATE PFILE FROM SPFILE='+ASM\spfile.ora'. This new pfile was much more extensive than the first, and there were the parameters that were overriding the ones I was trying to change. I hand-modified this pfile, including some other things I found in the first, then created a new default spfile from it. So at this point I had the default spfile without it pulling in a second one that would override what I did.
          So you mean, you created a new spfile in the ASM , is it correct? And the one which was available on the file system, was it deleted?

I know I am sounding so stupid but still, can't seem to see some thing really simple I am afraid :( .

Regards
          Aman....
          No, I created a new spfile on the OS file system, in the default location of %ORACLE_HOME%\database\spfile%ORACLE_SID%.ora.

Starting point was 2 spfiles:
          - one in the default, non-asm location, which included the SPFILE parameter, pointing to . . .
          - a second spfile in ASM.

So I,
          - created one pfile from the default spfile
          - created a second pfile from asm-based spfile
          - copied key parms from the first pfile to the second, createing a pfile that represented the contents of both spfiles - but NOT including the spfile parameter.
          - create a new default spfile from this combined pfile
          x:> set ORACL_SID=mysid
          x:> sqlplus / as sysdba
          -- connected to idle instance
          sql> create spfile from pfile='mynewpfile.ora';
          at this point I now have a default name and location spfile. It has all the parms I need, and does not have that SPFILE parm pointing off to a secondary spfile.
          sql> startup nomount;
          sql> show parameter ....
          And I see that all of my parms are now what is expected. I am starting the instance with the default spfile, that file has everything I need and nothing I don't want.
          1 2 Previous Next