This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2012 10:31 AM by 929286 RSS

Accent in Dimension Alias changes Dimension name

RMarques Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi!

Does anybody faced something like that?
I have successfully created and deployed an EPMA application. But when I'm looking at the application in EAS one of my dimensions are taking Alias names instead of original names.
Is there something with accent in Alias?

Thanks!

Rafael
  • 1. Re: Accent in Dimension Alias changes Dimension name
    929286 Pro
    Yes it's provided in EPM documentation
    Others dims don't get their names from alias?
  • 2. Re: Accent in Dimension Alias changes Dimension name
    RMarques Newbie
    Nope... just the ones with accent...
    When you say in EPM docs, you mean EPMA Admin?
  • 3. Re: Accent in Dimension Alias changes Dimension name
    929286 Pro
    Oops.. You've caught me :)
    It looks like I just upload too many info into my brain during planning cert preparation. So all the facts I remember I'm sure were reed there. But trully I checked this before wrote and it works in this way.
    In addition i knew some alias behavior when application is deployed with non-Unicode source, not sure that it's your case, isn't it?
  • 4. Re: Accent in Dimension Alias changes Dimension name
    RMarques Newbie
    =)
    Thats not my case... Just accents in some words...
    I tried what you said, and it really creates another dim with that alias... strange...........
    So, using the same name....
    But do you agree with me? EPMA should not ask for this field at properties... =) Just assume the same name.

Thanks... it helped me.
  • 5. Re: Accent in Dimension Alias changes Dimension name
    929286 Pro
    Well, program usually works in the way it was hard coded. If the most users can understand how it does by intuition then it is very very good product. In other cases documentation can clarify some strange places.
    I took it from EPMA admin guid:
    "Setting the Dimension Alias
    In Consolidation and Planning applications, you can change the alias, or dimension name, in order to see a different name in the deployed application. The Dimension Alias property is useful in cases where you want to view a different name for a dimension in the deployed application versus what is displayed in the Shared Library or application."

Hence this property for the dimension used if you want to rename it but can't do it. In other case you have to delete it and recreate.
    Why is it done in that way? I don't know but i'm sure someone does, maybe coders at least :)

Edited by: vvipirailo on Apr 17, 2012 9:31 PM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points