5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2012 11:22 PM by Aman.... RSS

Database Block Corruption in 7 database

Dear all,

I have some doubts to export a 7 database, my plan to export this 7 and import into new version [ie 11gR2].

Expected Issues in this database are :

1) This 7 DB is not having a valid backup
      *2) Lot of Database block corruption*
      *3) Is there any way to skip the corrupted blocks on export*
      *4) If i can skip this corrupted blocks on export do i face any problem*

Last updated of the record 2006 and database is Read only. Error  number ORA-01578/ ORA-1110.

Kindly explain me what is Corruption and how to rectify this,,,

Thanks in Advance

Hamid
        • 1. Re: Database Block Corruption in 7 database
          ajallen
          Step 1. Determine if the segment with the corrupted block is an index. If so, rebuilding the index will correct the corruption.
          Step 2. If step 1 does not solve the problem, open a support request with Oracle. Self help here could result in unnecessary data loss.
          • 2. Re: Database Block Corruption in 7 database
            Aman....
            Hameed wrote:
            Dear all,

I have some doubts to export a 7 database, my plan to export this 7 and import into new version [ie 11gR2].

Expected Issues in this database are :

1) This 7 DB is not having a valid backup
            Not a good start!
            *2) Lot of Database block corruption*
            Make the not a good start changed to worse .
            *3) Is there any way to skip the corrupted blocks on export*
            You can use the package dbms_repair which can be used to skip the corrupted blocks. But the package came in 8i so I am not sure that what you are going to do in version 7 for teh same.
            *4) If i can skip this corrupted blocks on export do i face any problem*
            The export would throw ora-1578 error to you.
            Kindly explain me what is Corruption and how to rectify this,,,
            The block corruption is that the block is not readable for some reason by oracle. To rectify it , you would need a valid backup and RMAN.

Aman....
            • 3. Re: Database Block Corruption in 7 database
              Handling Oracle Block Corruptions in Oracle7/8/8i/9i/10g/11g [ID 28814.1]
              • 4. Re: Database Block Corruption in 7 database
                Dear DBA,

Its very nice document u have shared..

Here is a error, i want to share with you, when the client trying to run this report he is getting, hope this is because of the data block corrupted issue, kindly advice me what this might be, in what way we can rectify/recover this database.

REP-0451 : Unhandled exception ORA-01115: IO error reading block from file 77 (block# 34758)
                ORA-01110: data file 77: 'location of db file /file08.dbf'
                ORA-07373:swhich was raised in a statement starting at line 1 of XGL_LOAD_DAT_FOR_BPRC, called statement  starting at line 116 of AFTERPFORM.

Reports: Release 2.5.5.8.0 - Production on Mon Mar XX:XX:XX XXXX

Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1996 . All rights reserved.

APP-00969 Program exited with status 1
                APP-01125 concurrent Manager got error running Oracle Reports for request XXXXXXXXX

++----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------++
                Concurrent request compleated
                Current system time is XX-MAR-20XX   XX"XX"XX

++----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------++
                • 5. Re: Database Block Corruption in 7 database
                  Aman....
                  Oh , thanks a bunch for the MOS note Deebee. I didn't know about it before :-) .

Regards
                  Aman....