4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2012 5:12 AM by 909747 RSS

URGENT : Migrate ODI or Change / Recreate Repositories?

Hi there;

I'm using ODI 10.1.3.6.0 and Oracle 10g db server (which keeps both master and work repositories) installed on the same machine.

For some reason, our db guys are decided to move Oracle db to another machine but we don't want to migrate ODI. Will it cause a performance issue?

Should we also migrate ODI to the new machine
      or
      change/recreate Master & Work repositories?

Which one would you suggest?
      I strongly prefer the second way but don't know how?

Thanks
      Cenk
        • 1. Re: URGENT : Migrate ODI or Change / Recreate Repositories?
          For some reason, our db guys are decided to move Oracle db to another machine but we don't want to migrate ODI. Will it cause a performance issue?

I believe when you are saying the We don't want to migrate ODI . you mean ODI server installation. If you are agent is located on the target DB then moving at the new machine will be a advantageous. If only repositories are moved then you should be fine.

Should we also migrate ODI to the new machine
          or
          change/recreate Master & Work repositories?

In order to change the master and work rep pointing to new machine. Change your snsp_login XML to pointing to new Master Rep user/pass and then go edit the work repository user id and pass to the new work rep location, in topology.
          ** make sure you backup your old rep **
          • 2. Re: URGENT : Migrate ODI or Change / Recreate Repositories?
            >
            I believe when you are saying the We don't want to migrate ODI . you mean ODI server installation.
            >
            exactly
            >
            If only repositories are moved then you should be fine.
            >
            yes, only the repos are going to be moved

>
            In order to change the master and work rep pointing to new machine. Change your snsp_login XML to pointing to new Master Rep user/pass and then go edit the work repository user id and pass to the new work rep location, in topology.
            ** make sure you backup your old rep **
            >

So the process will be
            1) Backup and Transfer Master and Work repository schemas from old db to new one
            2) Export Master and Work Repos in ODI (do i have to import them after step 3?)
            3) Change snps_login_work.xml AND snps_login_security.xml

is that correct?

Edited by: Cenk C on Apr 17, 2012 4:26 AM

Edited by: Cenk C on Apr 17, 2012 4:38 AM
            • 3. Re: URGENT : Migrate ODI or Change / Recreate Repositories?
              1) Backup and Transfer Master and Work repository schemas from old db to new one
              Yes

2) Export Master and Work Repos in ODI (do i have to import them after step 3?)
              No , as i believe you are copying the schema with tables and data you should be fine .

3) Change snps_login_work.xml AND snps_login_security.xml
              Yes edit the xml . once you are in topology edit the repository with new db schema USER ID and password and save it .
              • 4. Re: URGENT : Migrate ODI or Change / Recreate Repositories?
                Thanks a lot, Dev