This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2012 1:01 AM by tullio0106 RSS

Editor problem in  3.1

tullio0106 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I migrated to 3.1 and I found a very bad problem : trying to modify some data in the data tab of a table, very often the edited field contains a blank char (not visible) which produces errors diring commit (invalid number or, even wrost, it saves wrong data).
How can I solve such problem ?
Is it a known bug ?
Tks
Tullio
  • 1. Re: Editor problem in  3.1
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi Tullio,
    trying to modify some data in the data tab of a table, very often the edited field contains a blank char (not visible)
    Not exactly sure what you mean by this, but it may be reasonable to assume you tried to null out the cell value before entering a new value and had some issues. Here are some past forum posts and bug numbers (all marked as fixed) related to this sort of issue:

Re: Bug in 1.5.1 Deleting number value in data grid
    Bug 7712583 - OTN: ERROR ENTERING A NULL VALUE IN A NUMBER COLUMN
    Bug 8398748 - SQL DEVELOPER 1.5.4 WILL NOT MAKE A NULLABLE FIELD NULL

Re: 30EA2 : Grid copy null column gives (null) on paste
    EA2: COPY OF NULL VALUE CELL FROM GRID ISN'T PROPER

Actually I found that Backspace(s) work fine to null out a cell, as well as Ctrl-X (Cut). Perhaps Ctrl-Delete is a bit problematic since an additional Backspace seems necessary to completely clear the cell of some unprintable character that shows up as an empty square on Win XP.

Hope this helps,
    Gary
    SQL Developer Team
  • 2. Re: Editor problem in  3.1
    tullio0106 Newbie
    This is not a null problem, I believe.
    The cell is empty at the beginning (e.g. new row) and I click in it (to get focus) and then I begin to write.
    I don't see anything wrong, the fileld seems to be correctly filled.
    When I commit I get the error.
    Looking to the insert line in the message log I see ' -1' in spite of '-1' and that produce the error (for numeric or date fields, for varchar field it simply introduce the wrong data).
    Opening the editor popup and writing the field the text is inserted correctly.
    In pervious versions I never had such problem.
    Tks
    Tullio
  • 3. Re: Editor problem in  3.1
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi Tullio,

Well, testing with 3.1.07.42 against Oracle 10g XE or 11.2.0.2, I see that leading/trailing blanks on number or date types are ignored and the rows are inserted (or column values updated) as long as the actual value supplied does not exceed the scale/precision of the column's data type. For example:
    INSERT INTO "SCOTT"."DEPT" (DEPTNO, DNAME, LOC) VALUES (' -99  ', 'OOPS', 'xxx')

Commit Successful

UPDATE "SCOTT"."EMP" SET HIREDATE = TO_DATE('  01-JAN-12  ', 'DD-MON-RR') WHERE ROWID = 'AAASHjAAEAAAACXAAP' AND ORA_ROWSCN = '39136431'

Commit Successful
    Perhaps there is something specific about your installation environment/configuration or input procedures that may be the cause?

-Gary
  • 4. Re: Editor problem in  3.1
    tullio0106 Newbie
    Nothing I know.
    Executing similar statements produces error against my db (10g and 11g).
    By example the following statement, produced by SlqDeveloper, fails
    UPDATE ABILITAZIONE SET ID = ' -2' WHERE ROWID........
    I don't know why it uses ' -2', however it fails.
    Tks
    Tullio

Edited by: tullio0106 on Apr 18, 2012 9:46 AM
  • 5. Re: Editor problem in  3.1
    Gary Graham Expert
    This is all very strange. Sorry to fall back on generalities, but at this point I can only suggest:

1. Unzip SQL Developer 3.1.07.42 for your platform into an empty directory. Use the jre version, or else get jdk1.6.0_31.
    2. Remove or rename system directory (e.g., C:\Documents and Settings\<user-name>\Application Data\SQL Developer\system3.1.07.42)
    3. Launch the new install of SQL Developer. When asked, do not migrate settings.
    4. Check if the problem still manifests itself.

Please let us know if you are able to resolve the problem.

Thanks,
    Gary
  • 6. Re: Editor problem in  3.1
    xxsawer Explorer
    Hi guys,
    sorry for entering your thread, but maybe it is related. I have little bit different problem...when I try to type something into the data grid, I often get the first letter doubled. No matter if its new row or just retyping an older one. This seems to happen randomly... Just put the focus on some cell and start typing.

BTW I also tried to update a number cell to something like ' 5 ' and it succeeds on 11g. I would suggest to try this in SQLPlus
  • 7. Re: Editor problem in  3.1
    tullio0106 Newbie
    I noticed the same problem, sometime.
    I've 2 different installations with the same problem and then I don't believe it's an installation problem.
    Tks
    Tullio
  • 8. Re: Editor problem in  3.1
    Jim Smith Expert
    I think these are related to a long standing problem with the grid which has been difficult to pin down.

Symptoms include -
    not able to edit cells by double click - the focus always goes to the end of the cell and typing appends.
    double character entry
    not able to copy and paste from the grid - even though the grid has focus ctrl-c doesn't work, or sometimes apparently picks up the selection from the worksheet. Shift-ctrl-c usually works.

I have always experienced these intermittently.

I note that the console for 3.1 is displaying a lot of messages like this
    RaptoGridTable.processKeyBinding(pressed F2 WHEN_FOCUSED) returning processed=false from actionKeyFilter
    RaptoGridTable.processKeyBinding(pressed F2 WHEN_ANCESTOR_OF_FOCUSED_COMPONENT) returning processed=true from local
    RaptoGridTable.processKeyBinding(released F2 WHEN_ANCESTOR_OF_FOCUSED_COMPONENT) returning processed=false from actionKeyFilter
    RaptoGridTable.processKeyBinding(released BACK_SPACE WHEN_ANCESTOR_OF_FOCUSED_COMPONENT) returning processed=false from super
    and
    RaptoGridTable.processKeyBinding(typed ☺ WHEN_FOCUSED) returning processed=false from super
    RaptoGridTable.processKeyBinding(typed ☺ WHEN_ANCESTOR_OF_FOCUSED_COMPONENT) returning processed=false from super
    which I assume is an attempt to trap some of these issues.
  • 9. Re: Editor problem in  3.1
    tullio0106 Newbie
    Reinstalled, but nothing changed.
    Tks
    Tullio
  • 10. Re: Editor problem in  3.1
    tullio0106 Newbie
    No further help or fix ?
    Tks
    Tullio
  • 11. Re: Editor problem in  3.1
    Gary Graham Expert
    As Jim notes, although I have never personally experienced the duplicate / blank character issue, the grid table code can experience various issues that manifest themselves only intermittently, if at all.

Many different developers have maintained it over the years. There are several points in the code where workarounds for old Sun Java bugs appear, and who knows if those might hurt more than help over time, as Java evolves.

Unless the community can provide our team with specific, reproducible test cases to address, there's really not much we can do.

Sorry not to have a more encouraging response. Perhaps the bad behavior occurs more frequently on certain OS, hardware, Java versions, or may even be dependent on cell data type, size, the row width, the total result set size, or whatever. Any insight into that could prove of value.

Thanks,
    Gary

Edited by: Gary Graham on Apr 27, 2012 4:41 PM
  • 12. Re: Editor problem in  3.1
    tullio0106 Newbie
    In my installations the problem is not randomic but stable.
    I experencied it against any database (10g/11g) and on 2 different systems.
    If it could be usefull I can zip my installation and send it to your team for investigations or I can provide any information You can need about my system.
    Tks
    Tullio
  • 13. Re: Editor problem in  3.1
    tullio0106 Newbie
    Then no patch about the problem ?
    No solution ?
    Tks
    Tullio

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points