4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2012 2:48 AM by Talip Hakan Ozturk RSS

Data guard setup using 11g R2.

Hi,

It is possible to setup data guard between Amazon ec2 (primary db) and standby will be on local data center- (Non Amazon) using 11g R2.
        • 1. Re: Data guard setup using 11g R2.
          Sebastian Solbach -Dba Community-Oracle
          Hi,

2 questions back:

- Can you connect with sqlplus from your local data center to the Amazon database?
          - Can you connect with sqlplus from the Amazon database to the local database?

If your answers are both times yes, then SQLN*Net works from your data center to the amazon database and vice versa.

That is all what is needed to setup dataguard: an active SQL*Net connection between 2 databases.

What still stays open, is how the performance is, and if your network will be able to keep up with the redologs.
          See www.oracle.com/goto/maa in the best practices for Data Guard tuning.

Regards
          Sebastian

Edited by: Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) on Apr 19, 2012 3:51 AM
          • 2. Re: Data guard setup using 11g R2.
            Seberg
            Does Amazon give you full control of:

The listener
            The tnsnames.ora
            Oracle parameters

If yes to all then maybe.

If I were Amazon I would love for you to DR my site.

Cooper
            • 3. Re: Data guard setup using 11g R2.
              Hi,

When I tried to create data guard between amazon ec2 instance and local server using 11g R2 64 bit on linux server I am getting the below mention error.I Need some pointers on this issue.

Thanks in advance

Starting backup at 08-JUN-12
              using channel ORA_DISK_1
              channel ORA_DISK_1: starting datafile copy
              input datafile file number=00005 name=/oracle/app/oradata/abs/abs.dbf
              ORACLE error from target database:
              ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
              RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
              RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
              ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
              RMAN-03002: failure of Duplicate Db command at 06/08/2012 19:01:22
              RMAN-03015: error occurred in stored script Memory Script
              RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on ORA_DISK_1 channel at 06/08/2012 19:01:22
              RMAN-10038: database session for channel ORA_DISK_1 terminated unexpectedly
              • 4. Re: Data guard setup using 11g R2.
                Talip Hakan Ozturk
                RMAN-03002: failure of Duplicate Db command at 06/08/2012 19:01:22
                RMAN-03015: error occurred in stored script Memory Script

Please write your stored script content.

Talip Hakan Ozturk
                http://taliphakanozturken.wordpress.com/