This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2012 5:24 AM by 796440 RSS

USING RMI FOR REAL WORLD NETWORK APPLICATIONS

931685 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
As a programmer i am very confortable using RMI network approach in java in developing distributed applications. I would like to know if RMI could be used to develop secure real world systems. and how effective it is to use RMI over sockets. please i need an urgent response. Thanks alot.
  • 1. Re: USING RMI FOR REAL WORLD NETWORK APPLICATIONS
    796440 Guru
    928682 wrote:
    please i need an urgent response.
    Your urgency has no relevance here. Mentioning it is 100% guaranteed not to get you an answer any faster, and may actually delay getting you an answer. For example, I usually make it a point NOT to help people who use words like "urgent" or "ASAP" in their question.
  • 2. Re: USING RMI FOR REAL WORLD NETWORK APPLICATIONS
    EJP Guru
    I would like to know if RMI could be used to develop secure real world systems.
    Yes.
    and how effective it is to use RMI over sockets.
    Yes. RMI works over sockets. In fact it doesn't work any other way.

Feel free to ask a real question.
  • 3. Re: USING RMI FOR REAL WORLD NETWORK APPLICATIONS
    931685 Newbie
    I am very sorry if mite have sounded very immature in the way i posted the question into the forum. I gues i should have stated the reason y it is urgent. i am suppose to develop a network application for a company. Among all the network approach to programming in java language, i find RMI most friendly cos it gives me so much flexibility, but i want to just be such that RMI as an approach could be used cos while i was reading on RMI i learn it could only work in the java environment unlike the corba applications. Well if there is anytin u could inform me about, i would really appreciate. Anyway thanks for the correction you earlier stated i really appreciate.
  • 4. Re: USING RMI FOR REAL WORLD NETWORK APPLICATIONS
    EJP Guru
    Well we still don't know what you need to know. It is correct that RMI needs Java at both ends. But what are your constraints? Is this a LAN? Internet? B2B? What does the application have to do?
  • 5. Re: USING RMI FOR REAL WORLD NETWORK APPLICATIONS
    931685 Newbie
    I want to know if RMI can work perfectly well on a real world LAN area network for an organisation also for a internet application like advance messaging chatrooms like yahoo messenger.
    The application is suppose to maintain information of the organisation. so i want to implement a client server model. were every department would have a client side of the application and be able to send data and process it through communication with a server on a LAN network within that organisation.

Tans alot.

Edited by: 928682 on Apr 19, 2012 2:56 AM
  • 6. Re: USING RMI FOR REAL WORLD NETWORK APPLICATIONS
    EJP Guru
    I want to know if RMI can work perfectly well on a real world LAN area network
    Yes, provided the appropriate ports are open.
    ... also for a internet application like advance messaging chatrooms like yahoo messenger.
    Yes, provided the appropriate ports are open and you don't want to use callbacks. However I personally would avoid RMI over the Internet.
  • 7. Re: USING RMI FOR REAL WORLD NETWORK APPLICATIONS
    931685 Newbie
    for a communication over the internet wat protocol would you recommend that would do the job with ease. Tans for your priceless advice i really appreciate, i feel like sending you some dollars but i dont have enough. it very nice of you, i really appreciate
  • 8. Re: USING RMI FOR REAL WORLD NETWORK APPLICATIONS
    EJP Guru
    Again it depends on your choices. You could look at HTTP with a servlet, which at a minimum would require Jetty or Tomcat at the server; or SOAP/REST if you can deploy some serious infrastructure at both ends. It's up to you.
  • 9. Re: USING RMI FOR REAL WORLD NETWORK APPLICATIONS
    796440 Guru
    928682 wrote:
    I gues i should have stated the reason y it is urgent.
    No. You should have never mentioned your urgency at all. It is totally irrelevant here.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points