6 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2012 1:15 PM by ratdude RSS

Upgrade one-server VM3?

ratdude
      I have a test installation of VM 3.0.3. I am using only one VM server. So since it requires all VMs on the server to be migrated over to another server during VM server upgrade (even if all VMs are down) I guess it's not possible for me to upgrade my VM server. Does that sound right? Of course it wouldn't be a problem in production because I would have at least 2 VM servers.
        • 1. Re: Upgrade one-server VM3?
          Avi Miller-Oracle
          ratdude wrote:
          I have a test installation of VM 3.0.3. I am using only one VM server. So since it requires all VMs on the server to be migrated over to another server during VM server upgrade (even if all VMs are down) I guess it's not possible for me to upgrade my VM server. Does that sound right? Of course it wouldn't be a problem in production because I would have at least 2 VM servers.
          It doesn't require the VMs to be migrated to upgrade. You can power them off and then perform the upgrade.
          • 2. Re: Upgrade one-server VM3?
            ratdude
            I have powered the VMs off. I still get the popup message saying that the VMs must be migrated before the server can be upgraded.
            • 3. Re: Upgrade one-server VM3?
              Avi Miller-Oracle
              ratdude wrote:
              I have powered the VMs off. I still get the popup message saying that the VMs must be migrated before the server can be upgraded.
              Have you put the server into Maintenance Mode? Edit Server -> Enable Maintenance.
              • 4. Re: Upgrade one-server VM3?
                ratdude
                I have tried but it is failing - I'm going to have to open an SR for that.
                • 5. Re: Upgrade one-server VM3?
                  You must migrate the powered off machines to "Unassigned Virtual Machines" and then put the host in Maintenance mode. Then apply the maintenance, reboot the host, take it out of maintenance mode and migrate the machines back to the host.

If the machines are suspended they will migrate to unassigned but they won't migrate back. Workaround is to use the "xm restore /OVS/Repositories/<uuid>/VirtualMachines/<uuid>/state" and they will restart and migrate themselves back.

(better late than never, I hope)
                  • 6. Re: Upgrade one-server VM3?
                    ratdude
                    So it ended up that the permissions on the directory */var/www/html/yum* in the local yum repository I had set up were too exclusive. I opened up the directory and then Maintenance Mode worked. The Upgrade still didn't work, but I see now from the previous post that I could have moved them over to the unassigned category. I went ahead and logged into the OV Server and ran a yum update there and that worked OK.