This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2012 4:52 PM by PeterHartgerink RSS

Oracle 11.2.0.1 on Windows 7 x64 - fails when "Desktop Class" selected

PeterHartgerink Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Trying to install Oracle DB 11.2.0.1 on Windows 7 Professional x64
In the initial setup screens, as soon as I select "Desktop Class" and hit "Next", the installation program exits without any explanation or notification.
I tried with and without a pre-existing installation of Java - it made no difference.
  • 1. Re: Oracle 11.2.0.1 on Windows 7 x64 - fails when "Desktop Class" selected
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl confirm you are following the steps in the Install Guide - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24186/toc.htm

Pl post the last 100 lines from the install log - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24186/ts.htm#i1090466

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: Oracle 11.2.0.1 on Windows 7 x64 - fails when "Desktop Class" selected
    PeterHartgerink Newbie
    Thanks Srini.

No log got created - which is a concern.

My laptop is set up for DHCP so I see that I need to install a Loopback Adapter. I will do that and see if it makes a difference.

This is a developer installation, not a production installation. I am assuming that the Remote Desktop instructions don't apply to a laptop that will be both client and server. If this is not correct, please advise. Thanks.
  • 3. Re: Oracle 11.2.0.1 on Windows 7 x64 - fails when "Desktop Class" selected
    Peter Hartgerink wrote:
    Thanks Srini.

No log got created - which is a concern.
    Pl ensure that you meet all of the requirements posted in the link above.
    Right click "setup.exe" and select "Run as administrator" to start the install.
    My laptop is set up for DHCP so I see that I need to install a Loopback Adapter. I will do that and see if it makes a difference.
    Yes, installing loopback is necessary - instructions are included in the link above.
    This is a developer installation, not a production installation. I am assuming that the Remote Desktop instructions don't apply to a laptop that will be both client and server. If this is not correct, please advise. Thanks.
    Not sure which Remoter Desktop instructions you are referring to, but I believe you can skip them

HTH
    Srini
  • 4. Re: Oracle 11.2.0.1 on Windows 7 x64 - fails when "Desktop Class" selected
    PeterHartgerink Newbie
    Hi Srini

Installed Loopback Adapter.

Retried installation, still fails as soon as I select "Desktop Class".

I reviewed the hardware requirements again. My CPU is AMD A6-3400M APU. I had assumed that this would be OK, as AMD64 is supported, and the AMD A6 series is a 64-bit AMD CPU. But now I'm wondering if the CPU might be the problem. It's got to be something very fundamental because the installation process is not even getting as far as creating an install log, in fact not even the << \\ProgramFiles\Oracle >> directory for the install log.

I only have one other idea at this point. I uninstalled Java prior to beginning the Oracle DB installation because from past experience I remember that it is important to have the correct Java version, and also I had read on one of the forums that it is important not to use a Java version later than the one that is supported for the DB version that you are installing. I am assuming that the DB installation will install the appropriate Java version on my laptop - and yet it seems to be attempting to do so, as one of the first steps in the installation, but doesn't seem to succeed. Anyway, am I right in thinking that the installation works better if no Java is installed beforehand?

I will continue to review the installation prerequisites to see if there is anything else I am missing (I have reviewed them several times already but will check again to see if I may have overlooked anything). Please advise if you have any further suggestions for me. Thanks.
  • 5. Re: Oracle 11.2.0.1 on Windows 7 x64 - fails when "Desktop Class" selected
    Pl start OUI with the "-debug" flag to see if any additional information can be captured.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/em.112/e12255/c_oui_appendix.htm#BABDADJE

HTH
    Srini
  • 6. Re: Oracle 11.2.0.1 on Windows 7 x64 - fails when "Desktop Class" selected
    PeterHartgerink Newbie
    Before doing that - I have found some more information that may help you identify the problem.

1. The PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE system variable is set to AMD64, so I think that is OK as AMD64 is supposed to be supported.

2. I finally found the install log. It's not where the Oracle documentation said it would be, and the Windows 7 search utility didn't turn it up - I found it when looking at the Temp directory. I've uploaded it to my web site - here it is

http://consulting.hartgerink.ca/downloads/installActions2012-04-23_04-23-15PM.log

If you still need me to try the install with the debug parameter, let me know.
  • 7. Re: Oracle 11.2.0.1 on Windows 7 x64 - fails when "Desktop Class" selected
    PeterHartgerink Newbie
    Srini,

As you suggested, this time I ran the installer from the command line in debug mode.

This generated a much bigger installActions log. Here it is :

http://consulting.hartgerink.ca/downloads/installActions2012-04-23_05-26-05PM.log

Thanks for your help.

Peter.
  • 8. Re: Oracle 11.2.0.1 on Windows 7 x64 - fails when "Desktop Class" selected
    I do not see any error messages in the logs - so I am stumped for now

Srini
  • 9. Re: Oracle 11.2.0.1 on Windows 7 x64 - fails when "Desktop Class" selected
    PeterHartgerink Newbie
    Thanks. If you are stumped then believe me, so am I.

I know I am not paying for support - but here is a question for you. If Oracle Corporation claims that the Oracle Database 11.2.0.1 supports Windows 7 x64 running on a system with an AMD64 CPU, wouldn't Oracle Support want to know about this problem and try to resolve it? If so, is there a way that I can communicate this issue to Oracle Support if I don't have a CSI? (i.e., Beyond these forums, is there any level of support available to developers who have not purchased a support license?)

Your advice is much appreciated.

Peter.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points