3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2012 10:41 AM by Sandeep Gandhi, Consultant RSS

Change Item Category Structure

user394505
      Hi All,

Our client wants to change the existing Item category structure from 2 segments to 4. Can we modify the Item category Flex field (though system allows)?

Can any one best possiblle way since we have 1000's of items.

Also,what is the impact in doing this change .

will the transaction & reports work normally?

BR
        • 1. Re: Change Item Category Structure
          user394505
          Also, we are going for upgrage from 11.5.10.2 to 12.1.3

In which instance should we do this changea nd why?
          • 2. Re: Change Item Category Structure
            Sandeep Gandhi, Consultant
            You should be able to do it.
            You will have to make sure that existing categories conform to the new category structure.
            If they don't, you will have to change them.
            If you can't change them, then you will have to disable those old categories. You will also have to change the item-category assignments for those 1000s of items and assign a new category.

I recommend doing this in the 11i instance so that the change gets tested along with the regression testing you are doing for R12 upgrade.

Sandeep Gandhi
            • 3. Re: Change Item Category Structure
              Sandeep Gandhi, Consultant
              You should be able to do it.
              You will have to make sure that existing categories conform to the new category structure.
              If they don't, you will have to change them.
              If you can't change them, then you will have to disable those old categories. You will also have to change the item-category assignments for those 1000s of items and assign a new category.

I recommend doing this in the 11i instance so that the change gets tested along with the regression testing you are doing for R12 upgrade.

Sandeep Gandhi