10 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2012 3:13 AM by EramusBlack RSS

bsu message about mutually exclusive patches

user754933
      I have a patch that MUST go in. But the bsu installer (this is Linux x86_64) claims it is mutually
      exclusive to a patch already installed.

Is my only option to remove the previously-existing patch and install the more-needed one?

If so, with bsu how do I:

* remove the previously-existing patch

* list the patches already installed?

Thank you

• 1. Re: bsu message about mutually exclusive patches
          Arunbodap-Oracle
          "mutually exclusive" means the new patch is conflicting with the old patch.
          Now, to resolve this issue we have two options:
          1. Request a combo-patch (merge patch) that contains the fixes from both the patches. For this you will have to contact support.
          OR
          2. If the new patch contains the fixes of the already installed patch that it is conflicting with, then you will have to just remove the old patch and apply the new patch.
          NOTE: If you can give me the patchIDs of the mutually exclusive patches, I might be able to check and tell you whether "1" is better option OR "2" is better option.

Here is the command to remove the applied patch:
          ./bsu.sh -prod_dir=<weblogic_home> -patchlist=<patchID> -verbose -remove
          For example,
          ./bsu.sh -prod_dir=/opt/oracle/wlserver_10.3 -patchlist=E5W8 -verbose -remove

To list the patches already installed by bug#, look at the log message, BEA-141107, in the weblogic server logs as shown in the below two examples:
          Example-1:
          <Apr 12, 2012 10:56:38 AM IST> <Info> <Management> <BEA-141107> <Version: WebLogic Server 10.3.2.0 Tue Oct 20 12:16:15 PDT 2009 1267925 >
          Example-2:
          ####<Dec 12, 2011 7:58:55 PM PST> <Info> <Management> <xyz.com> <> <Main Thread> <> <> <> <1323748735648> <BEA-141107> <Version:
          WebLogic Server Temporary Patch for 10166432 Thu Nov 18 09:33:26 PST 2010
          WebLogic Server Temporary Patch for 10276172 Mon Dec 13 15:45:32 IST 2010
          WebLogic Server Temporary Patch for Bug9007089, Bug8422724, Bug8709606 Mon Oct 12 13:52:34 EDT 2009
          WebLogic Server Temporary Patch for bug9708705, bug8944607, bug9690920 Thu May 13 10:16:52 PDT 2010
          WebLogic Server Temporary Patch for 9324911 Wed Feb 03 22:09:21 PST 2010
          WebLogic Server 10.0 MP2 Sat Apr 25 01:45:38 EDT 2009 1213942 >
          ####
          While the above methodology gives us a list of all the java class change patch list (changes to classes in the weblogic.jar), it does not include the patches for console, socket muxer AND any other native code.
          While most of the patches are changes to java classes, to get a complete list, you can use bsu using the below command:
          ./bsu.sh -prod_dir=<weblogic_home> -status=applied -verbose -view
          Fro example:
          ./bsu.sh -prod_dir=/opt/oracle/wlserver_10.3 -status=applied -verbose -view
          NOTE: This will display a list of patchIDs that are applied to the installation.

Arun
          • 2. Re: bsu message about mutually exclusive patches
            user754933
            Thanks Arun -- very helpful.
            • 3. Re: bsu message about mutually exclusive patches
              user754933
              Here's the error I got. A LOT of conflicts here:

$ ./bsu.sh -install -patch_download_dir=/xyz020/weblogic/software/wls/wls1035/utils/bsu/cache_dir -verbose -prod_dir=/xyz020/weblogic/software/wls/wls1035/wlserver_10.3/ -patchlist=USGW
              Checking for conflicts..
              Conflict(s) detected - resolve conflict condition and execute patch installation again
              Conflict condition details follow:
              Patch USGW is mutually exclusive and cannot coexist with patch(es): SMSC,WKFW,DFGK,Z1Q8,G3CR,WQFH,CSST,L1NA,1K7N

What to do?
              • 4. Re: bsu message about mutually exclusive patches
                Arunbodap-Oracle
                As I suspected, "USGW" is the Jan CPU patch
                CPU patches are generally comprehensive, so the Jan CPU patch contains the previous CPU patches also.

Even though I could not verify the entire list, I realized that DFGK is not included in USGW or N5G9 (lastest PSU)
                So, you would need a combo patch (merge/overlay patch on top of the existing PSU).
                Please raise a SR for requesting the combo patch that would contain all the conflict patches.
                Also, request the engineer that will handle the SR to check all the conflicts and provide you a patch that would contain all the fixes (of the conflicts).

NOTE: I would also recommend to apply the latest PSU, Patch 13568070: SU Patch [N5G9]: 11gR1PS4PSU3(10.3.5.0.3), instead of the Jan CPU patch. Patch 13568070 will also contain the Jan CPU patches.
                If you decide to apply the latest PSU, then I would say you open the SR for conflicts between N5G9 and the existing patches.

Arun
                • 5. Re: bsu message about mutually exclusive patches
                  user754933
                  Is it only necessary to apply the latest PSU patchset or must I also install the many other patches on the list individually?
                  Or are they included in the PSU?
                  • 6. Re: bsu message about mutually exclusive patches
                    user754933
                    Is 4CYU the latest PSU patch?
                    • 7. Re: bsu message about mutually exclusive patches
                      user754933
                      I tried to install 4CYU after removing the patches Oracle suggested.
                      Results were not good:

$ ./bsu.sh -install -patch_download_dir=/<directory>/weblogic/software/wls/wls1035/utils/bsu/cache_dir -verbose -prod_dir=/<directory>/weblogic/software/wls/wls1035/wlserver_10.3/ -patchlist=4CYU
                      Checking for conflicts..
                      Conflict(s) detected - resolve conflict condition and execute patch installation again
                      Conflict condition details follow:
                      Patch 4CYU is mutually exclusive and cannot coexist with patch(es): 5JUE,3NU4,2JYG,HYQ1,GYHE,AHNT,SMSC,817L,CTP4,TJ7J,11IF,3W64,MGLD,49H5,I43Q,L1NA,N5LE,3ISN,Q9FF,T385,GAF9,29AF,X69X,DFGK,CSST,1IN5,AS6U,7A15,LBSW,1TRP,G3CR,XPSB,L765,8GB9,TS61,EP2G,8R89,ADIT,2C2Q

Please advise. I need this working soon.
                      • 8. Re: bsu message about mutually exclusive patches
                        EramusBlack
                        Then as Arun mentioned before, to apply the new patch you will need to remove the existing ones. I agree that is a very long list, but the chances are 4CYU includes all these patches. It sounds to me like you are nervous that somehow you are going to break your install. Perhaps you have a test environment were you can do this first?

If you are in any doubt about this, then at this point I recommend you open an Service Request to confirm that long list of patches is included in 4CYU. This is generally what 'mutually exclusive' means.
                        • 9. Re: bsu message about mutually exclusive patches
                          user754933
                          So Erasmus, you're suggesting that going forward I only apply the CPU patches monthly?
                          • 10. Re: bsu message about mutually exclusive patches
                            EramusBlack
                            I'm really not quite sure what you asking there.

With regard to the CPU patches, I would strongly recommend from a proactive perspective, that the CPU patches are applied as and when they are released. If you receive one off patches for specific issues, they are (hopefully) going to be included within the CPU's. I'm not saying that you should wait for the CPU, but these include many fixes.

With regard to your issue, you seem to have a lot of patches that are obsoleted by the CPU patch that you are trying to apply. Before you can apply it, you need to remove them. If you have concerns about the process, then I'd suggest raising them with Oracle support; that is what the service is there for. :)