This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2013 4:37 AM by NickRobheart RSS

OCA for DBA and Internship

932605 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello Oracle Professionals,

Thank you for taking the time, to read my post. I need some advice and am hoping and praying, that you all can be of some assistance. I recently passed my 0Z1-051 exam and now I am working towards 0Z1-052 exam for DBA. I will take the test at the end of this month or early next month. There is no doubt in my mind I will pass because within last year and this year my life has been dedicated to learn Oracle databases, even with that I understand I have a really long way to go. I am 25 years old and have no real experience. I have been searching everywhere for DBA internships but have no success.

A DBA advise me to create my own internship by creating databases for small local churches and businesses. I want real experience before I try to get a real job in a production setting. I was hoping anyone hear could provide any insight to if you believe thats a good idea, and any other advice you may have.

Thanks in advance

Edited by: 929602 on Apr 23, 2012 9:23 AM
  • 1. Re: OCA for DBA and Internship
    Rene Argento Pro
    Getting the first job as a DBA is usually a dificult task.

The OCA certification is a great way to get theoretical knowledge and understand how the database works.

After that (or while you are studying for the exam), one idea is to start as an Oracle applications developer before moving to the DBA path or to volunteer for small businesses managing databases, as you mentioned.

Then you can try to find a job as a junior DBA. DBA internships are very rare, the only ones I have ever seen focus on a specific area, like an internship in performance and tuning for example.
  • 2. Re: OCA for DBA and Internship
    matthew_morris Expert
    As Rene indicated, generally there's not a lot of Oracle DBA internships around. When a company has an Oracle database, as a general rule it means they're running an enterprise application that's critical to their business and are more interested in making sure that someone experienced is keeping it running than in saving a few bucks on salary. Breaking into the DBA world by becoming a database developer makes sense. You might also try joining your local Oracle user's group. You might find a DBA that's looking for an assistant and be able to work in that way. Start paying close attention to the job postings in your area. Look for what companies are advertising for Oracle DBAs and what they're offering. If you see one offering below the average for your area, they may be looking for an entry-level person.

Make sure you have a LinkedIn profile. Make sure that profile looks professional -- is grammatically correct. Since you don't have the proper job experience, make sure your certifications are on there and any relevant education. Try to create a personal summary that projects an image of an earnest and eager professional (try hard to avoid sounding dumb and desperate).
  • 3. Re: OCA for DBA and Internship
    810150 Newbie
    I am also in the same path, I finished my OCA certification and searching for Junior level or internship/volunteer. I haven't got any luck still. Please any of your professionals help are great.
  • 4. Re: OCA for DBA and Internship
    Brandye Barrington Expert
    While you are looking for a job, perhaps you can look at getting contract work through our relationship with Elance http://bit.ly/xE79zV.

Regards,
    Brandye Barrington
    Certification Forum Moderator
  • 5. Re: OCA for DBA and Internship
    957651 Newbie
    hey i m final year student.can you plz help me by telling the list of good companies name where i can try for internship in pune?
  • 6. Re: OCA for DBA and Internship
    bigdelboy Pro
    954648 wrote:
    hey i m final year student.can you plz help me by telling the list of good companies name where i can try for internship in pune?
    Gee thats just awesome!!!!!!!

Recommend you try BK Chemicals, there plenty to get involved in! Wheres there's M there's M!

Or get the 169 to the pumping stop, goto the police station, get serviced at the beauty place and apply at the hub.

In the 60's big blue would have said THINK. Modern man googles and hopefully thinks as well as he googles.

Teaching should not outcome to one who begs 'plz help me'.
    Better teaching should outcome to one who demonstrates ability at attempting to fish.
  • 7. Re: OCA for DBA and Internship
    932605 Newbie
    Just wanted to let you all know I am an Oracle DBA as of September of 2012. I did it. I started studying in Jan 2012. Got certified in July 2012, and got a job in September 2012. I'm blessed. Check out my video blog on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/oracledbagirl I wanna help new people because if I did it, i believe anyone else can do it. Time to pay it forward, as someone did for me!!! Thanks for all the responses.

Edited by: 929602 on Feb 1, 2013 3:58 PM
  • 8. Re: OCA for DBA and Internship
    bigdelboy Pro
    929602 wrote:
    Just wanted to let you all know I am an Oracle DBA as of September of 2012. I did it. I started studying in Jan 2012. Got certified in July 2012, and got a job in September 2012. I'm blessed. Check out my video blog on YouTube .... l I wanna help new people because if I did it, i believe anyone else can do it. Time to pay it forward, as someone did for me!!! Thanks for all the responses.

Edited by: 929602 on Feb 1, 2013 3:58 PM
    It is indeed honourable to help new people.

I tend to checkout this form of video, in essence for for any certification unsafe content. I confess to skipping through the 24 minutes here fairly quickly. If this is the case a request will usually go in for a post removal and a couple of the moderators are generally on the case fairly quickly ... plus possibly an email to ocpfraud ... complete with mugshot if available ;-) . The major part of the video is undoubtably certification safe. I hate the statement in the video "google is your friend" ... because that is phrase braindumpers use .... and google can be used to search for braindumps ... and that prhase can mislead newbies. And I hate newbies to certification being unwittingly mislead. But I was skipping through the video quickly, so may have is out of context. That said there were some excellent nuggets on study tips that some would find useful ( and if I am preparing a related video I might repeat some).

My overall comment is awesome.
  • 9. Re: OCA for DBA and Internship
    932605 Newbie
    Hey

Thanks for your reply, I encourage you to listen to the whole video, i referred to google as being your best friend because of research and reading. I don't know about you but I find myself reading at least an hour everyday concerning Oracle. There is so much research to be done when studying, reading, and just curiosity. Oh yeah and as far as brain dumps, can you explain to me, why would people use them, they don't help you do they? You have to have APPLIED knowledge with Oracle and doesn't Oracle change their information for the test all the time. Isn't these things just a big waste of time? Don't they realize Oracle is going to protect itself from things like that?

Thank you for checking out the videos and there is more to come, about to put up one on the installation of Oracle on Windows. Do you have any suggestions and I'm open to working with you if you would like to, I'm pretty sure you know way more than me about Oracle.
    Thanks
  • 10. Re: OCA for DBA and Internship
    989259 Newbie
    were you able to get any internship job in pune.
    Let me know I am OCP certified and still i am unable to see any openings for freshers.
    your guidance would help me.
  • 11. Re: OCA for DBA and Internship
    bigdelboy Pro
    986256 wrote:
    were you able to get any internship job in pune.
    Let me know I am OCP certified and still i am unable to see any openings for freshers.
    your guidance would help me.
    By appliying filters to http://www.shine.com/job-search/simple/oracle/ this gives me some indicator of applications per jobs for freshers ... presumably via this website.

The indicators are small that there are little chances for for a DBA OCA/OCP with no experience.

The chances are perhaps a little better for those with test/development skills.

The days when a DBA OCP certificate paper in India meant a well paid job may be over ... I suspect the shortage may well have turned into an over-supply

...... Can I offer you guidance ?

The most likely way you will get a job is via a personal recommendation/referral. ( It shouldn't be the case, but I would not be surprised if bribes and caste unfortanately sometimes comes into it on some occasions in India. ).

What you can do for yourself is ensure your skills are as rounded and up to date as they should be, so if you do get a job interview you stand the best chance. Keep up to date with what Oracle is oding, is website. Do plsqlchallenge.

Say job had an interview for a job for DBA by me tomorrow ... even if I know you have no experience.

You say for are (DBA) OCP.
    - I might ask 9ii or 10g ? ....
    - Then I might ask why have you not upgraded to 11g ?
    - You good is your english language , your written skils ?
    - Would you really do well at any tests I might give you ?
    - How are you using your time ?
    - Will you relocate ?
    - What do you know about 12c, RAC, dataguard .....
    - Can you demonstrate ITIL ?
    - You good ar your linux skills ? ... I will test what you say.
    - What do you know about networks, SANs ..... ?
    - Can you diagnose performance problems in the database; can you tune SQL?; how well do you know PL/SQL?

This list may be the not be the best list. But if you can answer some of such things better then other people it improves your chance of getting a job.

Some will say keep at at and do not be disheartened and if you try hard enough you will get there. Others might say get familiar with emerging cloud technologies. Others might say get your foot into an organisation however you can (cleaner, teaboy, security guard at worst case to make friends there ... would this make it worse for you than better?). Others might say join elance. (see above) or http://www.freelance.com. do your own website. Do a technical blog ... but look at others' first to see good examples first.

I have given more bad guidance in this post than good guidance. And it is random jottings from my head. You will need to examine your own situation, and think and plan for yourself. Good Luck, I wish you the best.

Edited by: bigdelboy on Feb 5, 2013 10:56 PM If you want a different view to mine from different people you might be interested in this recent thread in database general which I can across looking for something else: {thread:id=2382068} ... though it does not seem to have many contributions from India where cultures and the local situation may be different and the thread less applicable.
  • 12. Re: OCA for DBA and Internship
    NickRobheart Newbie
    I found this thread to be very resourceful and a chance to start a conversation which was bugging me from so many days. I have read so many times from everywhere that Certification would only be valued if you have an experience in reverence to it. Trying for an internship is a very good idea proposed which never crossed my mind. But to be honest, its really hard to find a relevant internship unless we have good sources . However, I'm kind of tentative that it'd really strengthen our profile unless its from a good corporate (as mentioned by Matthew that all companies will more be interested in making sure that someone experienced is working for them). Just to add to this, I have seen quite a few people instead of trying for an Intern they are helping out to be Lab assistants in OWDP education institutions to deliver Oracle training which in turn help themselves and others and Yea, of course they will be always monitored and supervised by a OWDP trainer though. Yet I would again stress that even this wont much goodness to our profile if we are applying to a DBA role but I heard this will at least keep our skills brushed and up to date which may also help in getting through technical rounds (as a fresher) down the lane . This was just something I was having a perception about but did not enter into a real DBA world yet so I'll tell that this will be on another option in my opinion.
    Well, just so you know even I'm in the track of making DBA as my career and I regret that I've started late but have the confidence that will get there soon.
    All the best !
  • 13. Re: OCA for DBA and Internship
    bigdelboy Pro
    NickRobheart wrote:
    Hi NickRobheart,

interesting post.

Your profile seems to indicate you have business experience, and that would help with a job hunt for a DBA related position.

In some ways, and this is useful as you appear to be different part of the world to me, again seems to indicate most people with a certification and no commercial experience are nowadays going to find it a very hard to get a fresher DBA position. They will need to bring something else as well to get that job. It is most helpful if it relates to work done before.

Its one of the reason I made this thread {thread:id=2495419} [ not actually that I much expect the moderator or anybody to answer in that forum ;-) ]

And he suggestion of past students in the labs is interesting: done well (and not abused) it is a win-win for all concerned ( I would not trust all WDP institutes here, some would simply see low cost worker opportunity).

Working for a charity might be another option ... though not many charities probably use Oracle and are lower scale operations ( though I have my doubts about some uk 'charities' which are mahorly organised revenue generating outfits!).
  • 14. Re: OCA for DBA and Internship
    NickRobheart Newbie
    Agreed most employers would not trust all WDP institutes but worth a try. Yes, I don't consider it to be really a work just because you get paid for but the knowledge you gain is helpful to get through ...most likely a L1 support level DBA job at least. But we have to keep in mind that choosing a right company is always important. Like I said its only my opinion..I never knew nothing about any other OWDP institutes and how it employes a low cost worker in regards.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points