This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2013 4:57 PM by jgarry RSS

Difference between warm start and cold start

787349 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

Can you please tell me what is warm start and cold start?

what is difference between the both start?.

Thanks & Regards
Sami
  • 1. Re: Difference between warm start and cold start
    ajallen Pro
    Nothing. There is no difference. Then only way to start a database is if it s shut down (stopped). So warm and cold have no meaning in this context.
  • 2. Re: Difference between warm start and cold start
    713555 Pro
    where did you see or hear the context?
  • 3. Re: Difference between warm start and cold start
    713555 Pro
    if the database is already start you can do "startup force" which will bounce it. could this be what OP means by a "warm start"

Ive never heard it called that though.
  • 4. Re: Difference between warm start and cold start
    787349 Newbie
    Hi All,

I have question from one of client as

Can operations continue uninterrupted during system/DB maintenance (e.g., database compacting)? If system has to be shut down and restart, please specify whether it is Cold Start or Warm Start     ..

Am Just confused the difference between cold start & Warm start..
  • 5. Re: Difference between warm start and cold start
    Zoltan Kecskemethy Expert
    e.g.
    oracle@myserver:~> oerr ora 00470
    00470, 00000, "LGWR process terminated with error"
    // *Cause:  The log writer process died
    // *Action: Warm start instance
    I think warm start is double shutdown and restart in this way:
    1.     SHUTDOWN ABORT
    2.     STARTUP NORMAL
    3.     SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
    4.     STARTUP NORMAL
  • 6. Re: Difference between warm start and cold start
    ajallen Pro
    Other that for a few initialization parameter changes, there is no reason to ever shut down (or restart) an Oracle database. Database compacting? I do not think you are referring to an Oracle database. At least I hope you are not. As said before, there is no such thing as a warm or cold start for an Oracle database. Oracle database startups are always from a shutdown state.
  • 7. Re: Difference between warm start and cold start
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Sami wrote:
    Hi All,

Can operations continue uninterrupted during system/DB maintenance (e.g., database compacting)? If system has to be shut down and restart, please specify whether it is Cold Start or Warm Start     ..

Doesn't matter what you do, Oracle db's restart or what is also referred as "bounce" , will always releases the instance's memory allocations. So there cant be any "warm start" possible , doesn't matter what! I believe you must confirm that the term was rightfully used for the database only and not for something else.

HTH
    Aman....
  • 8. Re: Difference between warm start and cold start
    rp0428 Guru
    >

Can operations continue uninterrupted during system/DB maintenance (e.g., database compacting)? If system has to be shut down and restart, please specify whether it is Cold Start or Warm Start ..

>
    Perhaps the client is asking you to specify whethe it is cold 'boot' or warm 'boot'.

For example with Windows OS a cold boot means powering off the system, possibly waiting for some period of time and then powering the system back on. A warm boot leaves the power on and selecting "turn off computer" from the start menu and then clicking "restart" in the window that pops up or using Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

A cold boot will execute the boot code in the computers EEPROM memory and perform all of the initialization process code such as discovering hardware devices, etc. A warm boot does not execute the boot code.

So the client may be asking whether the machine will be (or should be) powered off completely before restarting.
  • 9. Re: Difference between warm start and cold start
    Jonathan Lewis Oracle ACE Director
    deebee_eh wrote:
    where did you see or hear the context?
    I think the last time I heard about cold or warm stats was with Oracle 5 and the IOR command - but I see from another reply that ORA-00740 uses the term.
    Perhaps this is terminology specific to windows and means you can restart the database without having to stop and restart the Oracle Service. (I've come across an odd timing problem on one machine that ends up forcing me to restart the service because an attempt to restart the instance always results in ORA-03113 (end of file on communication channel).

Regards
    Jonathan Lewis
  • 10. Re: Difference between warm start and cold start
    Roger Baker Newbie
    I'm chiming in a little late on this thread. I have a startup.log file in my ORACLE_HOME that has startup info and it has the history of the database starting and it says they were warm started.
  • 11. Re: Difference between warm start and cold start
    sb92075 Guru
    Roger Baker wrote:
    I'm chiming in a little late on this thread. I have a startup.log file in my ORACLE_HOME that has startup info and it has the history of the database starting and it says they were warm started.
    if you write into a file that the Earth is flat, does this change reality?
  • 12. Re: Difference between warm start and cold start
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    I have a startup.log file in my ORACLE_HOME that has startup info and it has the history of the database starting and it says they were warm started.
    >
    Post some samples from the log file so we can see what you are referring to.
  • 13. Re: Difference between warm start and cold start
    TSharma-Oracle Guru
    This message indicates that the instance was started without errors by dbscript. This is normal.
    'Database Instance "TEST" Warm Started' message in dbstart startup log [ID 1500041.1]
  • 14. Re: Difference between warm start and cold start
    jgarry Guru
    lol, on my machine that is commented out because that's part of the script that didn't work as delivered (Itanium specific problem, as I recall). Not to mention stuff from Oracle version 6 in there...?
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points