7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2012 6:26 PM by Nicolas.Gasparotto

PeopleSoft Database Configuration Wizard - Oracle OEM dbconsole

Roger Baker
      I have a database that I created with the PeopleSoft Database Creation Wizard 8.51.16.
      When you go through the wizard it prompts you for the sysadm password that you want to setup. I am now trying to create the Enterprise Manager/database control/dbconsole for web management, using the command:
      emca -config dbcontrol db -repos create

When this runs, it prompts you for the sys and sysman passwords. The Oracle sysman account was not created by the PeopleSoft Database Creation Wizard. I did some research and I found someone stating that the emca process creates this account. I am not sure if this is correct though.

The emca fails and says the problem COULD be due to one of the folowing;
      1) Listener port 1521 provided is incorrect. Provide the correct port.
      2) Listener is not up. Start the Listener.
      3) Database service is not registered with listener. Register the database service.
      4) Listener is up on physical host and ORACLE_HOSTNAME environment variable is set to virtual host. Unset ORACLE_HOSTNAME environment variable.
      5) Listener is up on virtual host. Set environment variable ORACLE_HOSTNAME=<virtual host>.
      6) /etc/hosts does not have correct entry for hostname.

I don't think the above are my problems. I created a starter database when I installed oracle, and the database control works fine.
      So, does anyone know if I need to create the sysman user first? I assume if so, then there is more to it than just creating a user and password.
        • 1. Re: PeopleSoft Database Configuration Wizard - Oracle OEM dbconsole
          HakanBiroglu
          Hi

The SYSMAN user/schema is indeed created when creating a repos.

What is the actual error you ran into, you have not mentioned it

See below doc for some troubleshooting
          Troubleshooting EMCA Failures Due to SYSMAN and Other Existing Objects During Configuration [ID 1110043.1]

See also this detailed doc
          PeopleSoft Enterprise Environment Management Plug-in 8.51 for Oracle Enterprise Manager Implementation Guide
          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18793_01/psft/acrobat/pt851tpem-b1010.pdf
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PeopleSoft Database Configuration Wizard - Oracle OEM dbconsole
            Roger Baker
            Do you wish to continue? [yes(Y)/no(N)]: y
            Apr 25, 2012 3:00:48 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig perform
            INFO: This operation is being logged at /opt/app/oracle/11g/cfgtoollogs/emca/FS91DMO/emca_2012_04_25_14_59_38.log.
            Apr 25, 2012 3:00:50 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.ParamsManager checkListenerStatusForDBControl
            WARNING: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

Apr 25, 2012 3:00:50 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig perform
            SEVERE:

Database connection through listener failed. Fix the error and run EM Configuration Assistant again.

Some of the possible reasons may be:

1) Listener port 1521 provided is incorrect. Provide the correct port.
            2) Listener is not up. Start the Listener.
            3) Database service FS91DMO.SCPS.K12.FL.US is not registered with listener. Register the database service.
            4) Listener is up on physical host and ORACLE_HOSTNAME environment variable is set to virtual host. Unset ORACLE_HOSTNAME environment variable.
            5) Listener is up on virtual host. Set environment variable ORACLE_HOSTNAME=<virtual host>.
            6) /etc/hosts does not have correct entry for hostname.

Refer to the log file at /opt/app/oracle/11g/cfgtoollogs/emca/FS91DMO/emca_2012_04_25_14_59_38.log for more details.
            Could not complete the configuration. Refer to the log file at /opt/app/oracle/11g/cfgtoollogs/emca/FS91DMO/emca_2012_04_25_14_59_38.log for more details.
            --
            I did some research and found this thread: 11gR2 dbcontrol recreation issue

After testing I see some differences in my my databases:
            (TST11GR2 created on Oracle install has a functioning database control, FS91DMO by the PeopleSoft wizard does not)

scpsdev:/opt/app/oracle/11g/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/bin #sqlplus sys/starterpw@*TST11GR2* as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.2.0 Production on Wed Apr 25 15:25:47 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
            Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production
            With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

SQL> quit
            Disconnected from Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production
            With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options
            scpsdev:/opt/app/oracle/11g/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/bin #sqlplus sys/my-password1@*FS91DMO* as sysdba;

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.2.0 Production on Wed Apr 25 15:26:10 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.

ERROR:
            ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
            • 3. Re: PeopleSoft Database Configuration Wizard - Oracle OEM dbconsole
              Nicolas.Gasparotto
              Not sure why you want to deal with EMCA before Peoplesoft database completion. I already tried many times to run the DB Wizard on Peopletools, most of the time unsuccessfully or at the least very painful.
              Not sure about your OS, but here a blog entry I wrote a while ago for PT8.50 on Linux, but I'm sure it did not change that much :
              http://gasparotto.blogspot.com/2009/12/db-wizard-850-for-oracle-on-linux.html
              Otherwise, you better should give it up and go for a manual database creation as very well documented in the Peopletools Installation Guide.
              Anyway, it is much better to do that task manually, you'll learn a lot more.

Nicolas.
              • 4. Re: PeopleSoft Database Configuration Wizard - Oracle OEM dbconsole
                HakanBiroglu
                Did you finish the PeopleSoft database installation?

Actually this issue has nothing to do with PeopleSoft, you want to create Enterprise Manager for a database, ok that database is PeopleSoft.

What I am trying to say is that you will find more helpful answers when you post your question in the Oracle Database section of the Forum.
                I just had a look and you have tons of similar questions and answers.

Not being able to connect to your database with user SYS => there is something not correctly setup.
                Most of threads say, this could be the password file.

Maybe Nicolas can move this thread to the Oracle Database section.
                • 5. Re: PeopleSoft Database Configuration Wizard - Oracle OEM dbconsole
                  Nicolas.Gasparotto
                  Well, emca or sysman has nothing to do with the error. What happen if you try the following :
                  export ORACLE_SID=FS91DMO
                  sqlplus / as sysdba
                  Nicolas.
                  • 6. Re: PeopleSoft Database Configuration Wizard - Oracle OEM dbconsole
                    Roger Baker
                    It connects fine.

I did open an SR with Oracle....
                    • 7. Re: PeopleSoft Database Configuration Wizard - Oracle OEM dbconsole
                      Nicolas.Gasparotto
                      Roger Baker wrote:
                      It connects fine.
                      Then it's probably coming from tnsnames.ora. Why on earth are you trying to connect with ...@dbname if you're on the server itself ?
                      I did open an SR with Oracle....
                      I'd be keen what you're asking in your SR. There's actually no Peoplesoft error. You should do some stuff upfront the database creation, such as a correct init.ora, tnsnames.ora update, /etc/oratab and s forth. I do not see any Peoplesoft side error here.
                      EMCA, on its side, do everything needed by the database whereas Peoplesoft DB Wizard does not, but it's well documented.
                      Anyway, as I said earlier, much better to do the database creation manually if you want to become or if you are a truly administrator.

Nicolas.