This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2012 7:04 AM by the_assface RSS

Application not getting RETIRED in Side-by-Side Deployment

ltom Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

I'm deploying an application using Side-by-Side deployment without specifying the retire timeout value (i.e. Allow the application to finish its current sessions and then retire.). The new application is getting deployed and is in ACTIVE state but the old application is in "Stop Running" state and not getting RETIRED even after all sessions have been processed. I have waited for an hour and still the state is "Stop Running".

The above scenario happens only when the application is in use and the SBS deployment happens parallel.

Thanks,
lTom
  • 1. Re: Application not getting RETIRED in Side-by-Side Deployment
    856413 Newbie
    Can you please share the steps to do the same, as I am new to this.

Thanks in advance.
  • 2. Re: Application not getting RETIRED in Side-by-Side Deployment
    ltom Newbie
    Hi,

Please find the steps below.

Consider i'm deploying an app WebApp_v2 and the currently deployed app in WebApp_v1.

1. Launch the Web app (WebApp_v1)
    2. Deploy the new app (WebApp_v2) using Side-by-Side deployment without and retire timeout set.
    3. Launch the new Web app (WebApp_v2) in a new window.
    4. Now we have 2 sessions of the application open, one with new code(WebApp_v2) and other with old(WebApp_v1).
    5. Close the session which was opened before deployment (ie. WebApp_v1)
    5. Check the state of the apps in Weblogic console.
    6. WebApp_v1 should be in RETIRED state and the WebApp_v2 in ACTIVE state.

Thanks,
    lTom
  • 3. Re: Application not getting RETIRED in Side-by-Side Deployment
    ltom Newbie
    The application is getting RETIRED after a long time.
  • 4. Re: Application not getting RETIRED in Side-by-Side Deployment
    794514 Pro
    Hi Itom,

If you will deploy your Versioned application using "weblogic.Deployer" utility then you have an option to set the Retirement Timeout period...
    java weblogic.Deployer -adminurl t3://localhost:7001 -username weblogic -password weblogic
     -deploy -name complexServiceEar -appversion VesionB -retiretimeout 30 -targets AdminServer 
    -source complexServiceEar.ear
    As mentioned in Step3). in the following link: http://middlewaremagic.com/weblogic/?p=394

Thanks
    Ravish Mody
  • 5. Re: Application not getting RETIRED in Side-by-Side Deployment
    866566 Newbie
    I have the same issue. I deploy a version 1 of the application, then I deploy version2.
    The version 1 switches to "stop running" immediately, but then switches to "Retired" hours later. Can someone explain under what conditions an application switches from "Stop running" to "Retired" state?

This is troubling, as sometimes we realize that new deployment was defective, and we want to re-deploy, but if we specify retiretimout, this puts an old version into a REtired state while trashing all old sessions.

What is the most "proper" way to gracefully deploy new version of an application and at the same time do it so that users do not notice this?

thanks in advance,
    igor
  • 6. Re: Application not getting RETIRED in Side-by-Side Deployment
    the_assface Explorer
    I have this same experience. Did anyone have any comments or feedback since this topic was dropped almost a year ago?
  • 7. Re: Application not getting RETIRED in Side-by-Side Deployment
    the_assface Explorer
    Also, is there a way to set the retirement time in the admin console and not WLST?

Thanks
  • 8. Re: Application not getting RETIRED in Side-by-Side Deployment
    the_assface Explorer
    My problem is very similar and here is what I have noticed....IF I do side by side with no sessions running then I get the desired behavior of the old application getting retired and the new one as active. Works fine. However, IF I have a session going then the new app goes active but the old app goes to 'stop running' for a long period of time (about an hour or so) and then it goes to 'admin' status and the new app does work. When it is in 'stop running' it never serves up the new version. However, you cannot get the old app out of admin status to remove or delete it (or I assume be able to deploy the next iteration of code). You can kill the session and it seems to have no bearing on this behavior. Obviously the way it is behaving now I could not launch this in production. Any ideas or experience on this or is there a way to set the retirement timeout through the console? I use node manager and console and would prefer to deploy this way.

Thanks

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points