This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2012 2:25 PM by Udo RSS

Does Oracle Express Edition have DBCA?

933068 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I can not find the DBCA under my Express Edition 10.
This is probably because the Express Edition only gives 1 database and 1 instance?

Assume that I have a regular version, would it be possible to create 2 databases? Of course, with instance for each of the database.

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Does Oracle Express Edition have DBCA?
    Paul M. Oracle ACE
    Assume that I have a regular version, would it be possible to create 2 databases?
    If "regular version" means a different Edition (for example Standard or Enterprise), then you can create as many databases as you want. How many of them can run simultaneously will depend on your machine.
  • 2. Re: Does Oracle Express Edition have DBCA?
    933068 Newbie
    Thanks Paul M,

one question:
    if I want to know what my created database name is, what should I do? Specially, where should I type the command for that? In MS-DOS or in sql*plus?

Thanks
  • 3. Re: Does Oracle Express Edition have DBCA?
    clcarter Expert
    Database "name" is just a name. And has many forms.
    $ sqlplus /nolog
    connect system
    ... password ... Connected.
    show parameter db_name
    show parameter db_domain
    show parameter db_unique_name
    show parameter service_name
    show parameter global_name
    .... TRUE|FALSE
    select * from global_name;
    select name from v$database;
    select instance_name from v$instance;
    If global_names = TRUE then the full database name is <db_name>.<db_domain> and that makes a difference for connecting to remote databases. But that is a whole separate topic.

As is the unique_name which comes into play for Data Guard, another whole topic but since DG is not an option for an XE install, its really not relevant here.
  • 4. Re: Does Oracle Express Edition have DBCA?
    Paul M. Oracle ACE
    if I want to know what my created database name is, what should I do? Specially, where should I type the command for that? In MS-DOS or in sql*plus?
    Depends... if you are already connected, clcarter has already answered. Different situation if you are not connected, and you don't know database name(s).

Assuming yours is a Windows machine (you mention MS-DOS), each database has a service with name OracleService<DB name>.

So, you can see database name(s) from Services GUI, or, from command prompt, with something like
    C:\>sc queryex type= service state= all | find "OracleService" | find "SERVICE_NAME"
  • 5. Re: Does Oracle Express Edition have DBCA?
    Udo Guru
    Assume that I have a regular version, would it be possible to create 2 databases? Of course, with instance for each of the database.
    The answer would be "no" if you are still referring to the XE instance. XE License terms don't allow to have more than one instance on each server.
    If you aren't referring to XE, comments above apply, but you've hit the wrong forum. ;)

-Udo

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points