This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 27, 2012 9:48 AM by rm22 RSS

Project Backup Issue

Ashok K Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We have a situation where single project backup is reported as "completed successfully" , but when we try to restore it, it gives error.

The Oracle Tech Support is horrible beyond imagination. For two weeks they kept telling me that they are working on it, and now they want to start over and want another backup sample. This tells me clearly, they have no clue, just fishing around to find something. Here is the entire conversation:

Quote:

I am surprised that this simple realization came after two weeks.This is really worst tech support I have ever seen, inspite of paying top dollars. Is there any place in Oracle which tracks the quality of technical support provided to clients or is it free for all.

Well, just for your information, we have also started looking at some other options to replace Contract manager due to the bad support.

I will send you the backup as desired.

Oracle Support - April 16, 2012 2:15:23 PM GMT-04:00 [ODM Action Plan]
Data Request
------------------------
Thanks for your reply.

Based on the information you have provided and the support team's previous
experience with the issue I believe the project itself may be corrupt in some way.
Therefore when one attempts to restore the project the restore process fails the
validity check due to possible missing data within the project.

Because the .JAR file itself is corrupt I'm unable to view its contents using an XML editor
or other means.

Please upload a copy of a database export of the Oracle database where this project
exists. This way I can restore the data here and query the contents of the project
itself to confirm whether there is missing or invalid data within the project.

See DOC ID 908371.1 (attached in the related articles section of this SR) for steps
of how to perform the export.

Thank you.

AKHANDELWAL@HRGRAY.COM - April 16, 2012 9:31:18 AM GMT-04:00 [Update from Customer]
This is really frustrating to receive such responses for a paid service contract after more than two weeks of pending SR. Did you read my entire post before posting your question or you just want me to start all over again. Last time you said that you have reproduced the issue, then why do you need another backup?

Anyway the replies are as under:

1. This is happening with one project and not multiple projects ( read my earlier responses)
2. No, there were no errors reported ( read my earlier responses)
3. It was saved on local drive
4.As I understand you were able to reproduce the issue, then why do you need me to send you another backup. If so, please define the backup should be under what environment variables, because I dont want you to come back 2 weeks later and ask for another backup with different variables.

Oracle Support - April 13, 2012 3:21:27 PM GMT-04:00 [ODM Action Plan]
Hello.

1- So am I understanding that this is only happening with ONE project and not multiple projects?

2- When this single project backup was originally taken did any errors or unusual behavior occur?

3- Where is the backup file being saved when it is taken? On the local machine or to a network drive on some other machine?

4- Please create another single project backup of this project and attempt to restore that new backup to the new database
group. Let me know how this works out.

AKHANDELWAL@HRGRAY.COM - April 11, 2012 7:23:42 PM GMT-04:00 [Update from Customer]
We are unable to do a backup only for this project. All other projects are working OK. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks

Oracle Support - April 11, 2012 5:56:53 PM GMT-04:00 [ODM Action Plan]
Hello. I have reproduced the issue and am currently still investigating the issue. I will reply
back shortly with next steps and or further questions. Thank you for bearing with us.

AKHANDELWAL@HRGRAY.COM - April 11, 2012 2:07:53 PM GMT-04:00 [Update from Customer]
When can we expect a reply?

AKHANDELWAL@HRGRAY.COM - April 9, 2012 1:23:40 PM GMT-04:00 [Update from Customer]
Do we have a time line for a fix of this issue?

Oracle Support - April 2, 2012 11:47:40 PM GMT-04:00 [Notes]
Thank you for uploading the single project backup. I will try to restore
to a test system here to try and reproduce the issue.

AKHANDELWAL@HRGRAY.COM - April 2, 2012 9:41:47 AM GMT-04:00 [Update from Customer]
Upload to gtcr successful for the file EXP_SFP1_SFP1.JAR.

AKHANDELWAL@HRGRAY.COM - April 2, 2012 9:40:16 AM GMT-04:00 [Update from Customer]
Attached is a single project backup which was backed up successfully, but gives error while restoring. i havetried to restore it on two seperate installation of CM13, and both gave a message "error were encountered......."

AKHANDELWAL@HRGRAY.COM - April 2, 2012 7:35:33 AM GMT-04:00 [Update from Customer]
1. This happens with Single project backup with all the projects we have.
2.yes, it is being restored to another group in the Same installation of Contract Manager.

As expalined earlier, this was happening without any error until we installed the Contract Management Exchange Module. Since then we have uninstalled the module, but the error continues.

Oracle Support - April 2, 2012 12:37:10 AM GMT-04:00 [Notes]
Hello. Thanks for your reply.

1- Does this issue happen with one single project backup or multiple backup files?

2- Is the single project backup being restored to the same version of Contract Management system as where the backup was
taken?

3- If only happening with one backup please upload the single project backup file to this SR. This way I can restore the file to a test environment for research.

AKHANDELWAL@HRGRAY.COM - March 30, 2012 9:31:50 PM GMT-04:00 [Update from Customer]
1. The version is 13.0.5.0, build 2085
2. "Errors encountered during restore"
3. No
4.Weblogic

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks

Oracle Support - March 30, 2012 5:30:53 PM GMT-04:00 [ODM Action Plan]
Data Request
------------------------
Hello. Thank you for contacting Oracle Primavera support.

A few questions:

1- What is the version and build of Contract Management? (This can be found in the upper right corner of the log on screen)

2- What is the error message or behavior that occurs when attempting to restore the backup?

3- Does the project already exist in the group to which the backup is being restored?

4- What application server is being used with Contract Management? JBOSS or Weblogic?

- If you are unsure which app server is being used do the following
a. On the web server machine right click my computer and choose manage > expand services and apps > click on services
b. Scroll through services and look for the service named either Contract Manager or Primavera Contract Management. If this service exists
then open My Computer > open the drive that has your installed programs and look for a folder named JBOSS 5.0.1 GA
c. If both of the above exist then your running JBOSS if neither of the above exist then go to step d.
d. Open My computer and look for either of the below folders:
[drive letter]:\bea\user_projects\domains\[Contract Management domain name]
[drive letter]:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\domains\[Contract Management domain name]
e. If either of the above folders exist then it is likely that Weblogic is being used as the application server.

Thank you.

AKHANDELWAL@HRGRAY.COM - March 30, 2012 3:24:01 PM GMT-04:00 [Customer Problem Description]

1) Does your issue impact all of your users, or just some?
All users

2) Does your issue occur in a single project, or in multiple projects?
all projects

3) ### Impact on Business ###
We back up the project before processing monthly pay requisitions, so that it can be restored in case the process is to be reversed. Till last month it was working properly. This problem started after we installed Contract Management Exchange Program to export the Pay Requisitions. Since then we have uninstalled this program, but the error continues.

AKHANDELWAL@HRGRAY.COM - March 30, 2012 3:24:01 PM GMT-04:00 [Customer Problem Description]
Problem Description: Unable to restore Project backup created in from one group to another group.

Unquote:

Anyone have any idea about this error message?

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Project Backup Issue
    rm22 Explorer
    Currently Being Moderated
    I've experienced this also and I would then try the same project the next day and it worked OK. Sometimes the backup file does not get completely written for whatever reason. Try again sometime when there is no one else logged in. ALSO, and more importantly, make sure that you are selecting a LOCAL path when backing up. As in your local C or D drive. Don't assume that your "My Documents" folder is local either because in many organizations that is on a network drive somewhere.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points