3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2012 3:50 PM by timtow RSS

SmartView Retrieve Optimization

How can i reduce the time of a retrieve with a big data set (500 rows x 60 cols), client-side solution or server-side optimizations are welcome.

thanks.

SMARTVIEW version 11.1.2.1.00
      Hyperion 11.1.2.1
        • 1. Re: SmartView Retrieve Optimization
          timtow
          Can you tell us a little about the layout of your retrieval? Which dimension(s) do you have in row orientation? Column orientation? Page/POV Orientation? Are they dense or sparse?

How long does it take to retrieve the 30,000 cells? How long do you expect it to take? Thirty thousand cells is not really that big if you ask me.

Tim Tow
          Applied OLAP, Inc
          • 2. Re: SmartView Retrieve Optimization
            i have 11 dimension in the model, in the sheet i have in row 4 sparse dimension with 1 dinamic calc of one of these dimensions, in columns i have 1 dynamic calc that sumarize some childs of the dimension, and the rest of the dimensions (7) like period, year, version, etc.
            the retrieve is taking 2 minutes, it is posible to make it run faster? or this time is short for that action?
            • 3. Re: SmartView Retrieve Optimization
              timtow
              SantiagoC. wrote:
              i have 11 dimension in the model, in the sheet i have in row 4 sparse dimension with 1 dinamic calc of one of these dimensions, in columns i have 1 dynamic calc that sumarize some childs of the dimension, and the rest of the dimensions (7) like period, year, version, etc.
              the retrieve is taking 2 minutes, it is posible to make it run faster? or this time is short for that action?
              With 4 sparse dimensions in row orientation, the Essbase engine has to do a bunch of work to get the data.. I would look at the application log to see how long the Essbase retrieve operation actually is, then compare that to the time to render in the spreadsheet. This will give you a baseline of how much time is Smart View vs how much time is Essbase.

Do you need the all of those dimensions in row orientation? I have seen instances where it is necessary to get the report you want. In those cases, you will pay the price of time..

Tim Tow
              Applied OLAP, Inc