This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2013 2:35 PM by SunilSharma RSS

How to create Analysis from two different subject areas?

884389 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello Experts,
I am trying to create an analysis from two different subject areas. I am wondering if there is a way that i can do that. Before we had one subject area and the performance was terrible since it was huge data, so we split it into two cubes and created two subject areas. Now i am trying to create analysis based of those two subject areas. Please advise

Thanks,
Ravi
  • 1. Re: How to create Analysis from two different subject areas?
    834636 Newbie
    Hi Ravi,

I am assuming you are on OBIEE 11g.

Solution - You will have to use Union, Intersection or difference operations to combine results from two or more Subject areas. I believe this is the only way.

How to do ? - In the right side of Analysis window, you will see a small green color icon embedded within another small oval icon. Click on it and it will ask you to select the subject area of your choice.

Requirement/Criteria - You will need to make sure that number of columns selected and its data type are the same across the subject areas selected.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Jay
  • 2. Re: How to create Analysis from two different subject areas?
    932951 Explorer
    Hi Ravi,

You can create a query across multiple subject areas.

1.Start by creating a normal Answers request in a single subject area.
    2.In the subject areas pane there is an icon with a green plus on it ("Add / Remove Subject Areas")
    3.Select the second subject area
    4.Choose a common dimension from either subject area and measures from the relevant source

If you add dimensions that are particular to a subject area, then the measure that is not relevant will return null.
  • 3. Re: How to create Analysis from two different subject areas?
    Satya Ranki Reddy Expert
    Hi

One thing to understand is that if your are imagining having two Subject Areas (SAs) displayed and then dragging columns from each into your Request without any preparation, then no, that can't be done. You would need to do a join in the BMM layer and expose the column from the second Subject Area in the presentation layer.

But if you indeed interested in UNION (or intersect) queries, then do this:

Build your first query in the first SA in the usual manner. Note the number of columns and the data types of each column.

Now at the bottom of the Criteria workspace, there is a button called "Combine with similar request." Click it.

Select your second SA. You will note that the outlines of the columns in your first query appear. This is to remind you that the number of columns in this second query must be the same as in the first. It also shows the data type of each column for the same reason.

Once you select your columns and your filters, click on result. (Oh, you will also need to decide what kind of combination you want -- click on the dropdown.) The result will be a new Request that has data from both SAs in the query and combined in the manner you select (union, intersect, etc.)

That should give you a start.

http://obiee101.blogspot.in/2010/08/obiee-combine-with-similar-request.html -- Read this link this is good one to understand with screen shots. -- OBIEE 10g

http://oraclebiee11g.blogspot.in/2011/01/querying-across-multiple-subject-areas.html -- OBIEE 11g

Award Points it is useful.

Thanks
    satya
  • 4. Re: How to create Analysis from two different subject areas?
    809759 Newbie
    In the subject areas pane there is an icon with a green plus on it ("Add / Remove Subject Areas").

Its not active in my Answeres . any idea on this...

I am using 11.1.1.5.0 version..

Edited by: 806756 on Apr 2, 2013 4:17 AM
  • 5. Re: How to create Analysis from two different subject areas?
    998980 Explorer
    Do it using union reports.. make sure both queries have same number of columns and data type of columns in is same at every position.
  • 6. Re: How to create Analysis from two different subject areas?
    nk54 Newbie
    you can create analysis / reports from multiple subject areas, as long as both the subject areas are derived from the same business model..
  • 7. Re: How to create Analysis from two different subject areas?
    SunilSharma Expert
    From the Criteria Pane of the Report Created from First Subject Area, look at the bottom of the page, you will see an option called combine request click combine request and from here you can select second subject area and build the report with the req columns

hope it helps.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points