This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 61 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2012 12:39 PM by user560159 Go to original post RSS
  • 45. Re: LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 parameter error and can't start up the primary database
    CKPT Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    user560159 wrote:
    You are correct. However, I don't know how to add it because it located under the GRID_HOME. Do I add an entry within the $GRID_HOME/network/admin/listener.ora file?
    Dear,

Standby services related to ORACLE_HOME, not at all related with GRID_HOME.
    I'm not sure how you are saying as located under GRID_HOME, you mean to say added standby entries in GRID_HOME network files?

It should be in ORACLE_HOME network files.

Always post output what we have requested.
  • 46. Re: LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 parameter error and can't start up the primary database
    user560159 Newbie
    Thank you so much for your help. I'm 99.99% there. My last question is. Why is the physical database DISABLED? How do I fix it? Everything else is good. The archive log are being sent to the standby and the backups are running fine.

DGMGRL> SHOW CONFIGURATION;

Configuration - DGConfig2

Protection Mode: MaxPerformance
    Databases:
    pridb - Primary database
    stydb - Physical standby database *(disabled)*
    Fast-Start Failover: DISABLED

Configuration status:
    SUCCESS
  • 47. Re: LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 parameter error and can't start up the primary database
    mseberg Guru
    Something like this would cause it :

DGMGRL> DISABLE DATABASE database_name;

As long as your setup is correct this should correct it :

DGMGRL> ENABLE DATABASE database_name;

Your system

DGMGRL> ENABLE DATABASE 'stydb';

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 48. Re: LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 parameter error and can't start up the primary database
    user560159 Newbie
    Do I do this on my primary and standby DGMGRL? I did what you said on the primary and it never changed. Still disabled. Thanks.
  • 49. Re: LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 parameter error and can't start up the primary database
    user560159 Newbie
    What does reinstating the database do?
  • 50. Re: LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 parameter error and can't start up the primary database
    mseberg Guru
    Normally, enabling the configuration also enables the standby database.

Would check the database using :

SHOW DATABASE VERBOSE 'stydb';

This may throw an error which tells you why.

This does not make sense to me.

Reinstating would be used after a failover. So if you did a failover because your primary site lost power
    you would Reinstate the former primary as the new Standby.

But since you did not do a failover any documents on this should not apply.

The other idea is to remove and recreate the broker : Would consider this

How to Safely Remove a Data Guard Broker Configuration [ID 261336.1]

Make sure you follow the Oracle note Step by Step! ( On both systems )

Would do a show parameter dg_broker_start on both systems just in case.

make sure you have a copy of E17023-06

Strong Storms in the high plains tonight, might be off-line.

Best Regards

mseberg

Edited by: mseberg on May 1, 2012 3:53 PM

Edited by: mseberg on May 1, 2012 7:17 PM

Edited by: mseberg on May 2, 2012 7:11 AM
  • 51. Re: LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 parameter error and can't start up the primary database
    user560159 Newbie
    Thank you. I will try it in the morning.
  • 52. Re: LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 parameter error and can't start up the primary database
    user560159 Newbie
    Thanks. I did the following and there were no errors.

SHOW DATABASE VERBOSE 'stydb';

I will try to remove the DG Config and then set it up again. I just do this on the PRIMARY correct? I really hope this dosen't cause a problem cause everything looks to be working now just that the standby database says disabled :-( Wish me luck.

J
  • 53. Re: LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 parameter error and can't start up the primary database
    user560159 Newbie
    Ok I really don't want to remove t the configuration for DG broker. I'm afraid it won't work after that. Is there anyway to enable the standby database? When I login to the DGMGRL for the standby database I can connect but when I type SHOW CONFIGURATION it never returns anything....... Any other ideas before I remove the configuration? Thanks
  • 54. Re: LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 parameter error and can't start up the primary database
    user560159 Newbie
    Ok so I shutdown the standby database and then tried the DGMGRL on the standby database again and now it says:

Configuration STATUS;

ORA-12514: TNS: listener does not currently know of the service requested i the connect descriptor
    ORA-16625: cannot reach database "pridb"
    DGM-17017: unable to determine configuration status

However, everything is in both the listener file on standby server and primary server.

Thanks,
    J
  • 55. Re: LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 parameter error and can't start up the primary database
    user560159 Newbie
    Ok so the dataguard is finally working. Turns out I had the tnsname.ora file point to the wrong server and had to add an entry in the listener file. The Data Guard broker was removed and re-configured. It now works. Thank you to everyone that helped. I am now going to test the fail over. Any suggestions or documents to suggested before I close this thread. I will try to give points when I close this ticket.
  • 56. Re: LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 parameter error and can't start up the primary database
    mseberg Guru
    Great;

Had no idea what else to add. The recreate of broker has worked for me in the past.

Remember the golden rule of Data Broker :

Once you start using it you need to keep using it Not SQL because otherwise They will conflict. Broker will overwrite changes made from SQL, or worse yet they will conflict. See the dgmgrl utility link below.

Also before you failover double check your method of reinstate. If you are using FRA check the free space first.

Finally found this yesterday : ( dgmgrl utility )

http://satya-dba.blogspot.com/2010/09/dgmgrl-utility-tool-executable.html

Another site with great failover information :

http://uhesse.com/

Unable To Recreate Data Guard Fast Start Failover Configuration With DGMGRL [ID 454418.1]

11.2 Data Guard Physical Standby Switchover Best Practices using the Broker [ID 1305019.1]

Reinstating a Standby Database after Failover fails with ORA-16623 / ORA-16541 [ID 1131833.1]

Oracle10g: Data Guard Switchover and Failover Best Practices [ID 387266.1]

Step by Step How to Create Dataguard Broker Configuration [ID 984622.1]

Failover/Reinstate within Dataguard configuration fails with ORA-16653 /ORA-16795 [ID 1161094.1]

Step by Step Guide on How To Reinstate Failed Primary Database into Physical Standby [ID 738642.1]

Step By Step How to Recreate Dataguard Broker Configuration [ID 808783.1]

Data Guard Physical Standby Changing the SYS password when a broker configuration exists [ID 1199943.1]

Oracle Data Guard Broker and Static Service Registration [ID 1387859.1]

Warning: ORA-16610: command 'Broker automatic health check' in progress [ID 1344927.1]

Good luck with everything.

Best Regards

mseberg

Edited by: mseberg on May 2, 2012 12:10 PM
  • 57. Re: LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 parameter error and can't start up the primary database
    user560159 Newbie
    Thank you soooo much. VERY HELPFUL. Quick question ....

1) The primary is taking the backups. However, we had issues in the past with the redo/arch logs not being deleted. How can I verify that they are being deleted (primary and standby)?

2) As well, if we want to turn off dataguard for a little while and then start it up again can we do that? (The client don't get live for a month now) Would we just disable the configuration in DGMGRL and unset the archive destination (like I did in removing the Data Guard Broker)? If so, when the data guard is turned back on will it work automatically? or woudl we have to start the apply of logs?

J
  • 58. Re: LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 parameter error and can't start up the primary database
    mseberg Guru
    1) The primary is taking the backups. However, we had issues in the past with the redo/arch logs not being deleted. How can I verify that they are being deleted (primary and standby)?

h2. RMAN

There are a number of ways to do this. RMAN is your friend. What I do is delete them in the RMAN backup using a statement like this : ( so this is in my RMAN script )
    delete noprompt ARCHIVELOG UNTIL TIME 'SYSDATE-3';
    And I email the backup log to myself daily and review for issues.

On the Standby side I do a almost the same thing without any backup.

By using RMAN and having it setup right I never worry about Archive being deleted before its applied.

If you don't like my exact solution use the search function in the Data Guard forum and change it to last year and search for RMAN. The question has come up several times and there are many good answers out there.

Quote ( Database Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide )
    in a Data Guard environment, it is not recommended to use BACKUP... DELETE INPUT to delete archived logs, as RMAN cannot delete the logs generated on another node. A separate DELETE command with a BACKED UP n TIMES TO DEVICE TYPE SBT command provides more direct control over deleting logs in this environment.
    2) As well, if we want to turn off dataguard for a little while and then start it up again can we do that? (The client don't get live for a month now) Would we just disable the configuration in DGMGRL and unset the archive destination (like I did in removing the Data Guard Broker)? If so, when the data guard is turned back on will it work automatically? or woudl we have to start the apply of logs?

Wow tough question. Not sure how to answer but will try. I would not do it. Having run Data Guard on many systems over the past two years and have zero calls about performance or negative performance on the Primary. The problem with turning it off for a month is the Archive is not being applied. At some point you will have too much archive and the FRA will bark or you will run out of disk space.

If the setup is working I would try to sell a "burn in" period where the system is monitored for issues and such. If that does not fly I would try to sell a DELAY which get removed in a month. But given all the hoops you have jumped through I would not shut it off if at all possible.

If its working let it continue to work and shake out any bugs during that month.

The other option would be to defer Archive ( using Broker ) send and then recreate the Standby using RMAN Duplicate. Of course i would test this first.

Best Regards

mseberg

Edited by: mseberg on May 2, 2012 3:40 PM
  • 59. Re: LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 parameter error and can't start up the primary database
    user560159 Newbie
    Thank you soooo much for your assistance.

J

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points