10 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2012 12:43 PM by HamidHelal RSS

DS_10.1.2.3.0 To Slow Than the older version

kingadmin
      Hi,
      Windows XP.
      Oracle Form = 10.1.2.3.0

To much time take until login to my application.

i apply all patch needed to upgrade but still i feel it's too slow retrieve data,login...etc.

Regards,
        • 1. Re: DS_10.1.2.3.0 To Slow Than the older version
          Michael Ferrante-Oracle
          You did not mention to which db version you are connecting. If you are connecting to db 10.2 or newer, refer to the following MyOracleSupport note:

Forms 10.1.2.3 Performance Problems (Query, Compile) when Connecting to 11.1.0.7 (11g) DB (Doc ID 1099035.1)
          • 2. Re: DS_10.1.2.3.0 To Slow Than the older version
            HamidHelal
            What is your JRE version ?
            • 3. Re: DS_10.1.2.3.0 To Slow Than the older version
              Amatu Allah Neveen Ebrahim
              Hi kingadmin

Sorry am Just confused what do u mean by DS for me it's Data Structure suject i studied in computer Science and it has many abbreviation meaning pls mention urs !!!

r u using application server or runiing oc4j Pls Verify installation Stepsfor more info.

and that belog read carefully Searching for 10.1.2.3.0 Pre-requisits

Regards,

Amatu Allah
              • 4. Re: DS_10.1.2.3.0 To Slow Than the older version
                Michael Ferrante-Oracle
                Amatu Allah,

In the Oracle world, generally "DS" will be a reference to "data server" or "Developer Suite". Given the version reference of 10.1.2, we can assume "Developer Suite" as there is no 10.1.2 data server release.

Although there is no longer a product named Developer Suite, previously this suite of products included Oracle Forms, Oracle Reports, Oracle Designer, and several others. Now, in the newer versions they are simply referred to by their individual names (e.g. Oracle Forms, Reports, etc) even when included within other sets like Fusion Middleware. DS is a designtime set of tools intended for single user, local access use for building and maintaining end-user applications.

As for the reported performance problem compared to previous releases, well there are countless reasons one may experience a difference in performance when comparing product versions. The most obvious (in my opinion), but probably most overlooked reason is the fact that a new version is not the old version. What I mean is, it is not uncommon that we find product users attempting to install a new product version on the same or similar machine where the old version was installed then expect it to perform exactly like the old one. This is really an unfair comparison because as I mentioned, the new one is not the old one. The new product, in nearly ALL cases, will require more system resources compared to the old. And quite often that amount of increase resource need will be significant. Additionally, the new product version will undoubtidly include new features and likely be larger (require more disk space). New features, more disk space, and more resources means more work for the machine. If properly resourced (follow the product installation guide), the new product version can and generally will out perform the old, but again, only when installed and used properly.

As for technical issue, there were several technical issues which impacted version 10's performance. One of which I mentioned in a previous post above. The other, as "HamidHelal" is alluding to is a known problem with the JRE. If you are using a version older than 1.6.0_14 you likely will experience client side performance issues. That said, in order to use JRE 1.6.0_xx of any release, you must patch Forms 10 to 10.1.2.3 before doing so in order to work properly.

Finally, as I first stated, the new version is not the old. If this is an issue related to deployment and the use of Forms in Application Server and if your installation is accessed by multiple users, as it was designed, basic tuning strategies should be considered. The App Server Administration Guide includes some tuning tips, but others may include the tuning of the OS and even your application (forms).
                Michael Ferrante
                Senior Principal Support Engineer
                Forms Global Technical Lead
                Oracle Corporation
                • 5. Re: DS_10.1.2.3.0 To Slow Than the older version
                  kingadmin
                  Thanks all,

Oracle Db :10.2.0.1.0

As Michael Said : DS In oracle world Developer Suite.

I am using oc4j.

But when i upgrade to the new version of DS i found some extra configuration in AS . I should apply this configuration in oc4j.

JInitiator 1.3.1.26
                  • 6. Re: DS_10.1.2.3.0 To Slow Than the older version
                    HamidHelal
                    JInitiator 1.3.1.26
                    I think if you use JRE then problem will gone. Download it From Here

Un-install the jinitiator and install JRE.

You need little change is formsweb.cfg for JRE
                    Mark bellow line as comment
                    #baseHTMLjinitiator=basejini.htm
                    and add this
                    baseHTMLjinitiator=basejpi.htm
                    Hope this helps
                    ----
                    @ Michael Ferrante
                    Hi, Michael Ferrante

Nice discussion from you.

Can you please inform us what is the patchset no After *5983622* and *9593176* for forms 10g. If available how much it needed ?

Regards,

Hamid

Edited by: HamidHelal on May 1, 2012 10:39 PM
                    • 7. Re: DS_10.1.2.3.0 To Slow Than the older version
                      HamidHelal
                      Hi, Michael Ferrante

Nice discussion from you.

Can you please inform us what is the patchset no After *5983622* and *9593176* for forms 10g. If available how much it needed ?

Regards,

Hamid
                      • 8. Re: DS_10.1.2.3.0 To Slow Than the older version
                        Michael Ferrante-Oracle
                        If you have installed 9593176 and followed the instructions found in the included ReadMe, you basically have the latest. There are other patches which we have produced that are installed on top of what you have, however if you are not experiencing any problems, I would not recommend installing them. Also, the latest JRE is 1.6.0_32
                        • 9. Re: DS_10.1.2.3.0 To Slow Than the older version
                          kingadmin
                          HamidHelal wrote:
                          JInitiator 1.3.1.26

and add this
                          i have only to uninstall jinitiator and install JRE and apply only this configuration ?
                          for install JRE just install like any other software ?
                          • 10. Re: DS_10.1.2.3.0 To Slow Than the older version
                            HamidHelal
                            kingadmin wrote:
                            HamidHelal wrote:
                            JInitiator 1.3.1.26

and add this
                            i have only to uninstall jinitiator and install JRE and apply only this configuration ?
                            for install JRE just install like any other software ?
                            Yes... If your custom configuration also have this line... there also need.

Hope this helps..

Hamid