This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2012 10:18 AM by timtow RSS

using EssOtlOpenOutline with read only user ID

934151 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, hope someone can help:

Building an application that reads and duplicates metadata read from an otl file. The otl file is a production database and the app needs to read the metadata using a read only or similar user ID.

Currently we're trying to use the API:

EssOtlOpenOutline() with parameters ESS_FALSE for both fLock and fKeepTrans (which means it should not attempt to lock the otl file, and therefore I hoped could be run by a low level user)

However, to run this one seems to have to be a database manager (at least). I want to read the otl file using a read only user. Is there another command anyone can suggest?

Thanks!
  • 1. Re: using EssOtlOpenOutline with read only user ID
    835737 Expert
    The C API is based on (provides) various App Manager functionality.

I'm curious why you say:
    However, to run this one seems to have to be a database manager (at least).
    Are you catching errors and logging? If so, what messages are you observing when you try to access the outline? What indications are leading you to suspect that user security is the issue?

Regards,
    Robb Salzmann
  • 2. Re: using EssOtlOpenOutline with read only user ID
    934151 Newbie
    Hi Rob,

Thanks for the response.

When I run the app with a user ID with database manager rights it runs fine.
    When I run with a read only user it returns the error:

‘Insufficient Privilege for this operation’ (error 1051041)

I had hoped that by not locking the otl and just reading it's contents it might be ok for a low level user to run?
  • 3. Re: using EssOtlOpenOutline with read only user ID
    835737 Expert
    You know, that's exactly what I would have tried. Based on the documentation, your finding is a bit of a surprise.

When I run into this, I use a set of predefined, encrypted admin credentials for things where more than a standard user account is necessary.

Regards,
    Robb Salzmann
  • 4. Re: using EssOtlOpenOutline with read only user ID
    934257 Newbie
    I had a similar problem. After much trawling through the docs (EssOtlOpenOutline() documentation seems to imply you only need high-level permissions if you want to lock the outline) I came across this:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E1282501/epm.111/esb_apiref/homeoc_secreqs.htm_

+"Because you can use the Outline API to create, edit, and delete outlines, you must be aware of some security issues when creating an application that uses the Outline API...+

+To manipulate outlines through the Outline Editor in Administration Services, you must have Application Manager or higher privileges. You also need these privileges to use a program that uses the Outline API during execution. If you do not have these privileges, Outline API calls that read or write outlines from the server do not work. See the Oracle Essbase Database Administrator's Guide for more detailed information on security and privilege levels."+

Also:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E1282501/epm.111/esb_apiref/homeoc_overview.htm_

+"With the Outline API, you have the same ability to manipulate database outlines from within code as you have using the Outline Editor in Administration Services."+

So it seems that in order to use the Outline API, even for just querying and read-only stuff, you need super-powerful permissions rather than just the READ permission that you might have expected.

Edited by: zarquon on May 2, 2012 4:32 PM
  • 5. Re: using EssOtlOpenOutline with read only user ID
    timtow Oracle ACE Director
    Depending on the member information you need, you should look at EssQueryDatabaseMembers as it does not require that you open the outline. It returns a limited number of member properties, but it is about 20x faster than outline queries.

Tim Tow
    Applied OLAP, Inc

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points