This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2012 11:23 AM by Sameer Darbha RSS

Calling BPM Sub Process from another BPM Process - Stuck at Sub Process

Sameer Darbha Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

JDeveloper 11.1.1.6, BPM 11.1.1.6, WLS 10.3.6

I am trying to Call a BPM Process from another BPM Process. Both the processes are defined in the same BPM Project.
Both the Processes have 'None' Start and End activities.
The 'Parent Process' has a 'Call Activity' which calls the 'Sub Process'.
The Sub process takes a parameter of payload object as input and returns output (also same payload object)
I have passed the payload object from parent to sub process in the 'Data Associations'.
The Start and End activities in the sub process also have the data associations set where I am passing the payload object from parent process to child process.

When I run the process and see the Enterprise Manager console - Audit Trail / Flow tabs,
Flow Tab - The progress of the process is showing only till the Calling of the sub process in the Parent Process. It does not show the Sub Process.
Audit Trail Tab - Shows that the Sub Process is called but has not reached to the End of the Sub process.
The audit trail does not have links to the sub process activities.
I cannot see any exceptions as well in the audit trail.

How can I find out why the process is stuck? Or what is going on in the process?

Please let me know if my explanation is not clear?

Thanks for any help
Regards
Sameer
  • 1. Re: Calling BPM Sub Process from another BPM Process - Stuck at Sub Process
    934600 Newbie
    Hi

I saw the below bug filed with Oracle, so we can't see the detailed audit/flow trial for sub process.

Problem : Reusable Processes Contain Incorrect Content In Flow Trace/Audit Display
    Symptoms
    When a Process contains a call to another Callable Process, the content of that Called Process is incorrectly displayed/referenced in the Flow Trace/Audit for the BPMN Process Instance view through EM.
    Cause

The issue is identified to be a bug 12780112

Thanks,
    Priya
  • 2. Re: Calling BPM Sub Process from another BPM Process - Stuck at Sub Process
    934600 Newbie
    Hi,

Actually we can see the audit trail of a child process in EM console. In Em console if you select a particular instance and in the Trace view you can able to see 2 BPMN components. If you click on the calling process name then it'll show you the parent process's Audit trail and flow. If you click on the callable process name then it'll show you the child process's Audit trail and flow.

Thanks.
  • 3. Re: Calling BPM Sub Process from another BPM Process - Stuck at Sub Process
    Sameer Darbha Newbie
    Thanks for replying.

I have another Sub Process with Start and End events as Message Events and used Send Task and Receive Task (Implementation : Process Call) in the Main process to invoke the sub process asynchronously.
    Then, the Sub Process is shown in the 'Flow Trace' as child of the main process.

In this particular one, I used 'Call Activity' to call the sub process.
    So the Audit trail is showing the sub process as a child.

But what I was trying to say is that the audit trail did not have links to the entries in the 'Event' column (in Enterprice manager - instance window). (like Instance entered activity, Instance left activity etc).
    I was intending to use these links to see the payload information and try to debug if there is any problem with the code.

The actual problem I was trying to say in the post is that, even after the user responds to the activity (User Task - Approval) in the Sub process,
    the audit trail is not proceeding further.
    In the Sub process definition, after the user task, there is End with none implementation.

Hope it is clear now.

Thanks and Regards
    Sameer

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points