9 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2012 10:06 PM by Frank.Hampshire-Oracle RSS

Interactive session error

Rajan.Panchal
      Hey,
      We are getting error which says
      "[An interactive session is required to perform this action. You may see this message because your session has expired, or because cookies have been disabled in your web browser, or because you are following a link or bookmark to an expired session in progress.]"

As per my knowledge this error should come only when the idle time out of the application is reached. However, even if the idle time out of the application is 60min, we are getting error this error intermittenlty before 60 mins.

Can someone let me know some other reasons for this error to occur?

Tomcat logs gives me the below stsck trace:
      83238 [http-8080-Processor23] ERROR com.oracle.determinations.web.platform.servlet.WebDeterminationsServletUtility - com.oracle.determinations.web.platform.exceptions.error.NoActiveSessionError: No interview session available.
      com.oracle.determinations.web.platform.exceptions.error.NoActiveSessionError: No interview session available.
           at com.oracle.determinations.web.platform.controller.SessionContext.validateRequest(SessionContext.java:559)
           at com.oracle.determinations.web.platform.servlet.WebDeterminationsServlet.doGet(WebDeterminationsServlet.java:77)
           at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:743)
           at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:237)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:157)
           at com.oracle.determinations.web.platform.util.CharsetFilter.doFilter(CharsetFilter.java:46)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:186)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:157)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:214)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invokeInternal(StandardContextValve.java:198)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:152)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:137)
           at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:118)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:102)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:929)
           at org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:160)
           at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:799)
           at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:705)
           at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:577)
           at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:683)
           at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
        • 1. Re: Interactive session error
          Frank.Hampshire-Oracle
          In what context is this error occuring?

It can easily occur if you are trying to start Web Determinations with an incorrect URL. If this is the case, its a fairly simple case of working out what the URL should be and using that.

If it's occurring in the middle on an interview then it may be that the server is under stress and is restarting. If this is the case, you will need to provide more information:

Which version of OPA?
          Java or .NET?What is the application server (for Java)
          What load is the server under?

Cheers
          Frank
          • 2. Re: Interactive session error
            Rajan.Panchal
            1. We are not accessing OPA App with incorrect URL.
            2. The error comes in the middle of the interview. Also, the server was not restarting. I dont think the server might be under load as only few people (<4) acess it so its not possible that the server might be under heavy load.
            3. we are using OPA 10.2 and IE 6/7 to access OPA app.
            4.The application is deployed on web sphere.
            • 3. Re: Interactive session error
              Frank.Hampshire-Oracle
              This definitely isn't any issue known to me. So I'm going to have to ask a few more questions.

Are you using any custom functions with your rulebase?
              Does the error occur consistently or inconsistently?
              How often do you see it?
              • 4. Re: Interactive session error
                Rajan.Panchal
                1. No, I am not using any custom functions
                2. This error occur inconsistently
                3. There is no gaurantee that the error will occur each time.. It may happen sometime we spend hours to replicate error but with no luck.

thanks
                • 5. Re: Interactive session error
                  Frank.Hampshire-Oracle
                  The only thing I can suggest at this stage is to check the application server logs when the error occurs.

That error should only occur when contact with the session has been lost. This could be because the session has timeout, has been removed by the application server.

Contact with the session is often maintained by use of a session cookie, but these are fairly reliable.

Session timeouts and contact with the session are controlled by the application server (Web Sphere) . There are some configuration options that you can try to see if it improves the situation.
                  • 6. Re: Interactive session error
                    Rajan.Panchal
                    can you please elaborate on the websphere configuration settings?
                    • 7. Re: Interactive session error
                      Frank.Hampshire-Oracle
                      A correction:

Session timeouts are generally controlled as part of a java web application. They are set in the WEB-INF/web.xml file using the elements:
                      <session-config>
                         <session-timeout>time in minutes</session-timeout>
                      </session-config> 
                      {code}

OWD does not specify an explict timeout by default, and uses the default for the application server.

Unfortunately I don't know much about Websphere configuration, but after a little search I found this on setting the default session timeout: http://www.webspheretools.com/sites/webspheretools.nsf/docs/Setting%20session%20timeout%20in%20WebSphere                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
                      • 8. Re: Interactive session error
                        Rajan.Panchal
                        Thanks frank..
                        for your information this timeout is set to 60 min but still we are facing error at times before 60 minutes is reached. :-(
                        • 9. Re: Interactive session error
                          Frank.Hampshire-Oracle
                          I cannot think of any reason that sessions would be disappearing before they should. Stress on the application server is the only thing I can think of that might cause sessions to be recycled early.

The only additional thing I can suggest is to switch the log4j logging up to a DEBUG and look at what is happening before the session disappearance occurs perhaps that will provide some information as to what might be happening.

Edited by: frank.hampshire on May 3, 2012 8:05 AM