This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2012 1:36 AM by Dude! RSS

Installing Oracle 11g Express edition

928569 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

Once I try to install oracle 11g xe in my machine its taking nls parameters by default. I need to customize it before creating the DB using express editon. Please help.

Thanks,
Uday
  • 1. Re: Installing Oracle 11g Express edition
    sb92075 Guru
    Oracle wrote:
    Hi All,

Once I try to install oracle 11g xe in my machine its taking nls parameters by default. I need to customize it before creating the DB using express editon. Please help.
    WHY?

Why can't NLS get changed after the installation has completed?
  • 2. Re: Installing Oracle 11g Express edition
    928569 Newbie
    As per my understanding this should be setup during the creation of deployment.. I need to reset the NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETER NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS TO CHAR instead of BYTE by default. Please help me on the same.

Edited by: Oracle on May 2, 2012 3:24 PM
  • 3. Re: Installing Oracle 11g Express edition
    Mark Malakanov (user11181920) Expert
    Hey Oracle, according to your nick you should know all better than anybody here. ;)
  • 4. Re: Installing Oracle 11g Express edition
    Tubby Guru
    Oracle wrote:
    As per my understanding this should be setup during the creation of deployment.. I need to reset the NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETER NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS TO CHAR instead of BYTE by default. Please help me on the same.

Edited by: Oracle on May 2, 2012 3:24 PM
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10729/ch3globenv.htm#NLSPG235

"
    Caution:
    Oracle strongly recommends that you do NOT set the NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS parameter to CHAR in the instance or server parameter file. This may cause many existing installation scripts to unexpectedly create columns with character length semantics, resulting in runtime errors, including buffer overflows.
    "
  • 5. Re: Installing Oracle 11g Express edition
    Dude! Guru
    What are you trying to accomplish?

Changing the database character set for an existing database is called character set migration. Oracle Database XE is available only in Universal multi-language character set AL32UTF8, which is suitable for global data in any language.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points