This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: May 3, 2012 2:06 AM by Mark Striekwold RSS

Case Statement Using Many Variables

908328 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I apologize if this is the incorrect Forum for this type of question, but it was the closest one that I could find. I'm pretty new with SQL and am stuck on this issue. I have roughly 26 dates that I need to compare to one another. Each date is tied to a step code. I also have a Stop value that is tied directly to the "max date" of the step codes. So, I need to compare 30 dates against one another to 1st - ID the max date; 2nd - ID if the Stop value is correct; 3rd - if the stop value is incorrect, identify what the correct value would be.

At first, this seemed like it wouldn't be that hard. I wrote a query that found the max date for each step code. Then I realized that multiple step codes could have the same date. So, I tried using this case statement, but I did not get the expected results. Is there a more efficient way of getting what I need? This code seems like it's not necessary and probably the source of my issue.

CASE
WHEN FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS1.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS2.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS3.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS4.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS5.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS6.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS7.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS8.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS9.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS10.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS11.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS12.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS13.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS14.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS15.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS16.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS17.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS18.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS19.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS20.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS21.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS22.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS23.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND FS25.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE > FS24.ACTUAL_COMPLETION_DATE AND L.FORECLOSURE_STOP_CODE <= '8' THEN '9'
ELSE 'UH OH'
END AS "CHANGE FC STOP TO"

Any assistance is appreciated!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points