7 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2012 4:45 PM by tx103108 RSS

Prepare for 1z0-035: Oracle9i DBA New Features Oracle 7.3 & 8 to Oracle9i

tx103108
      What is the best way to prepare for the 1z0-035: Oracle9i DBA New Features for Oracle7.3 and Oracle8 OCPs exam?
      What self test software is good and which ones should I avoid based on the list of self-test vendors below:

[removed by moderator - braindump site]
      Self Test Software
      [removed by moderator - braindump site]
      Transcender

Any other vendors?

Cheers!

Edited by: Certification Forum Moderator on May 9, 2012 4:14 AM
        • 1. Re: Prepare for 1z0-035: Oracle9i DBA New Features Oracle 7.3 & 8 to Oracle9i
          Matthew Morris
          Well for about seven bucks (including shipping) you can get: OCP Oracle9i Database: New Features for Administrators Exam Guide by Daniel Benjamin

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0072195304/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I would recommend that more over any of the self test options even if the price was comparable. In my opinion, self-tests are good for determining how close you are to being ready for the exams , but are not very good for actually getting ready for the exams.

Of the two self test vendors you referenced, the only ones I'd recommend using are: Self Test Software & Transcender
          • 2. Re: Prepare for 1z0-035: Oracle9i DBA New Features Oracle 7.3 & 8 to Oracle9i
            Rene Argento
            Like Matthew said, try using self-tests after you study all the topics, to use them as a review and a method to check if there are any areas which you need more study.

Also, before using a self-test make sure you check http://www.certguard.com/search.asp to see if they are legitimate.
            • 3. Re: Prepare for 1z0-035: Oracle9i DBA New Features Oracle 7.3 & 8 to Oracle9i
              bigdelboy
              user601798 wrote:
              What is the best way to prepare for the 1z0-035: Oracle9i DBA New Features for Oracle7.3 and Oracle8 OCPs exam?
              What self test software is good and which ones should I avoid based on the list of self-test vendors below:
              NAMESCUT
              >
              Any other vendors?

Cheers!
              Well you may be DBA OCP but you need to realise that some in that list are braindump sellers and if you use them Oracle can remove your certification.

http://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/0477

If you go to http://certiifcation.oracle.com you can locate authorised practice exams:

You should be able to locate the following page or Oracle's official partner.

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=208

In general Kaplan's Transcender and a superset of Selftest.

Please be very aware some braindump sellers attempt to use spoof names to imititate these brans, do make sure you use an official source.

... There are a couple of other legitiamate sellers, but not many, and their quality is typically not as good. And given you have been one step from buying a braindump it is probably better to stick to the authorised partners.
              • 4. Re: Prepare for 1z0-035: Oracle9i DBA New Features Oracle 7.3 & 8 to Oracle9i
                tx103108
                Kaplan has the "SelfTest" and there is a "Transcender" product also, both certified by Oracle. What do you mean when you say "In general Kaplan's Transcender and a superset of Selftest."?
                Do you mean buy "Transcender" and then some combination of Kaplan "SelfTests"?
                Appreciate all your advice and help, btw. I will stay away from the Brain Dumps.

Cheers!
                • 5. Re: Prepare for 1z0-035: Oracle9i DBA New Features Oracle 7.3 & 8 to Oracle9i
                  Matthew Morris
                  Transcender and Self-Test Software are both affiliated with (or owned by) Kaplan. I don't know why they are even separate, but I'd suspect that one of them was originally not Kaplan and was bought out.
                  • 6. Re: Prepare for 1z0-035: Oracle9i DBA New Features Oracle 7.3 & 8 to Oracle9i
                    bigdelboy
                    user601798 wrote:
                    Kaplan has the "SelfTest" and there is a "Transcender" product also, both certified by Oracle. What do you mean when you say "In general Kaplan's Transcender and a superset of Selftest."?
                    Do you mean buy "Transcender" and then some combination of Kaplan "SelfTests"?
                    Appreciate all your advice and help, btw. I will stay away from the Brain Dumps.

Cheers!
                    When I said:

In general Kaplan's Transcender and a superset of Selftest."?

I meant to say:

In general Kaplan's Transcender test is a superset of Kaplan's Selftest's. Test for the same exam."?

The suppliers were separate .... but became merged under Kaplan.

Both brands were retained, the differientation becoming Transcender being orientated towards a different market.
                    ( Transcender maybe having 25% more tests/flashcards, more help for the less experienced, perhaps extra options on the test engine ). And obviously costing a little more.
                    Additionally Kaplan did not market its name between the tests.

However a few people bought both, and having spent their hard earned money were somewhat disappointed to discover that most of the questions in both were the same!!

Brandye's response in message 5553903 in the following message perhaps says it more eloquently and authoratively:

{message:id=5553903}
                    • 7. Re: Prepare for 1z0-035: Oracle9i DBA New Features Oracle 7.3 & 8 to Oracle9i
                      tx103108
                      Yes, you are quite right. I will go with Transcender and 'hit the books" as well. Thanks for all your help.
                      Cheers!