4 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2012 7:33 PM by Sivamani RSS

Hi Gurus,

I m a junior DBA in my company..My company provided some doc about the DB refresh.When i go through it i got some doubt

step1: copy the level 0 backup from PRDDB to TESTDB instance.

e.g: scp db_PRDDB_3332_1_20090228.bk oracle@XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:/u02/backup/

Step2: create a soft link for the path in the TESTDB instance.

Login as root user; create an u08/oracle/prddb directory

[oracle@testdb prddb]$ ln -s /u02/backup/frm_prd_2009_mar02/ rmanbackup

These are the first to steps of the doc.Here my doubts is why we are creating the softlink.Could u please any one explain ?

Thanks in advance,

Edited by: 932117 on May 4, 2012 4:28 PM
        • 1. Re: DBREFRESH
          it is just for convenience.

This soft link will help to use production backup by simply calling 'rmanbackup' , instead of mentioning the complete '/u02/backup/frm_prd_2009_mar02/' location every time.

You can verify this by checking later steps. they may not talk about /u02/backup/frm_prd_2009_mar02/ location much after the soft link creation.
          • 2. Re: DBREFRESH
            thanks for your reply..If u have any doc for DB Refresh could u please forward my email id ayyappansql@gmail.com...
            • 3. Re: DBREFRESH
              DB refresh steps will vary greatly depending on the environment and method of refresh.

Try to read any one good Backup&Recovery Handbook. That will make you less dependent on documents.

But since you asked, I am sending one of the documents on RMAN based refresh with some good prefresh and postrefresh steps. But it should not be applied blindly on any environment, without understanding.

Good luck!!

Edited by: krramnik on May 5, 2012 6:03 AM
              • 4. Re: DBREFRESH
                Thank you so much for your help.