7 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2012 11:39 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle

migrating oracle database

becks
      Hi,

Currently I am using a 32-bit window with 32-bit Oracle. I trying to migrate the whole database to a 64-bit window 2003 server with 64-bit Oracle.
      I tried using export in my 32-bit Oracle to a dump file and import this dump file in my 64-bit Oracle. It will complain that some users and tablespaces does not exists.
      I do not wish to pre-create all these users and tablespaces first. I would like to shift the whole datebase to this 64-bit Oracle. Anyone did it? Any ideas on the best way to do this migration. Thanks

Regards,
      beck
        • 1. Re: migrating oracle database
          Aman....
          becks wrote:
          Hi,

Currently I am using a 32-bit window with 32-bit Oracle. I trying to migrate the whole database to a 64-bit window 2003 server with 64-bit Oracle.
          I tried using export in my 32-bit Oracle to a dump file and import this dump file in my 64-bit Oracle. It will complain that some users and tablespaces does not exists.
          I do not wish to pre-create all these users and tablespaces first. I would like to shift the whole datebase to this 64-bit Oracle. Anyone did it? Any ideas on the best way to do this migration. Thanks
          What's the db version in 4 digits? From 10g and above, you can use RMAN's convert database to migrate database from 32bits to 64 bits.

Aman....
          • 2. Re: migrating oracle database
            sb92075
            becks wrote:
            Hi,

Regards,
            beck
            It is hard to say what you did wrong, when you decided to NOT show us exactly what you did.
            • 3. Re: migrating oracle database
              becks
              Forgot to include that Oracle Enterprise 10g2
              Will look into your suggestion. Thanks
              • 4. Re: migrating oracle database
                sb92075
                becks wrote:
                Forgot to include that Oracle Enterprise 10g2
                What's the db version in 4 digits?

It appears you would benefit from remedial training in how to count to *4*

Handle:     becks
                Status Level:     Newbie
                Total Posts:     62
                Total Questions:     25 (21 unresolved)

why do you waste time here when your questions are only rarely answered?

Edited by: sb92075 on May 4, 2012 8:40 PM
                • 5. Re: migrating oracle database
                  becks
                  sorry, do not really understand? Did i say something wrong?
                  • 6. Re: migrating oracle database
                    Hi

Follow the below steps for upgrading 32 oracle to 64bit oracle from 32bit machine to 64bit as

1.) Verify there are NO invalid objects. (check from dba_objects or run utlrp.sql scripts)

2.) Verify all components in the DBA_REGISTRY are Valid.

3.) Install Oracle 10g 64bit, on Windows 64bit

4.) Copy the Database files from the 32bit machine, to the 64bit machine. (Datafiles, Logfiles, Controlfiles, init.ora, tnsnames.ora, listener.ora, etc..)
                    If a different directory structure will be used, then you will need to recreate the controlfiles, before starting the migration process.

5.) Create the Oracle service on the 64bit system, using the ORADIM command.
                    (eg., oradim –new –sid orcl –startmode auto –intpwd XXXX

6.) connect with sql and fire the below command
                    SQL> startup upgrade.
                    SQL> @Oracle_Home\rdbms\admin\utlip.sql
                    (This script invalidates all the objects. This is needed in order to change the word size.)

SQL> @UTLRP.SQL script.
                    This recompiled all the invalid objects.

Check the below link
                    http://beginapps.blogspot.in/2009/03/how-to-migrate-oracle-102-32bit-to-102.html

and close the thread to keep the forum clean .

---neeraj
                    • 7. Re: migrating oracle database
                      Srini Chavali-Oracle
                      Pl check the docs for the steps - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/win.102/b15688/create.htm#NXQRF154

HTH
                      Srini