1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2012 9:29 PM by Chris Muir-Oracle RSS

Installing JDeveloper on OS X Lion

user13816154
      Hi Everyone,

I'm new to programming and would like to install JDeveloper on my 13" Macbook Pro. I have the latest Lion OS, and all my software is up to date. I am extremely frustrated, perhaps because I'm a newbie and don't fully comprehend the published instructions. However, I first followed the instructions on JDeveloper manual, then after some Google, found more specific instructions from Shay.

https://blogs.oracle.com/shay/entry/installing_jdeveloper_on_mac_os

However, I get stumped on two things. The first is the "JDK Selection" which sadly I'm unable to get past that stage. The second obstacle is the fourth set of instructions, when Shay says to create that bash script. I copied and pasted it to a TextEdit window, and saved it exactly as instructed. Yet, when I hit the Terminal to execute that final piece of instruction, I get a "...No such file or directory..." response.

Can someone please help me find the easiest manner to install this software ? I'm spending hours of time, trying to figure it on my own; to no avail.

Thanks.

Pina.frederick@gmail.com
        • 1. Re: Installing JDeveloper on OS X Lion
          Timo Hahn
          You have to make sure that you have installed a local jdk at /system/library/java/javavirtualmachines/1.6.0.jdk/contents/home/bin/java.
          If you have installed your jdk at an other position you need to change the script provided by Shay.

Timo
          • 2. Re: Installing JDeveloper on OS X Lion
            user13816154
            Hi Timo,

But I don't comprehend Jack. I'm under the impression that Mac's already come installed with JDK's. So why would I need to install one ? Or should I move the one that's already installed to that location, and if so; how ?
            • 3. Re: Installing JDeveloper on OS X Lion
              Timo Hahn
              If you have a jdk installed on your mac, on a different position, you need to change the script so that the file to link (the first one) points to the right path.

Timo
              • 4. Re: Installing JDeveloper on OS X Lion
                user13816154
                I'm not a techie. You're basically talking Martian to me. I need specific instructions. I'm not a programmer, or computer nerd. Why doesn't Oracle make a Dummies manual for regular people that aren't Ph.D.'s in computer sciences ?

This is why its so difficult to approach these technologies. They're so opaque and cryptic.
                • 5. Re: Installing JDeveloper on OS X Lion
                  Chris Muir-Oracle
                  "Why doesn't Oracle make a Dummies manual for regular people that aren't Ph.D.'s in computer sciences ?"

Be fair, you don't know what you don't know here. At the moment Apple provides the JDK, it is not installed by default, and by inference it isn't coupled with JDeveloper. Oracle currently doesn't control how the JDK is installed or how Apple documents it. Indeed the installation locations for the JDK changed between version of Snow Leopard and Lion.

So please if you want help here, rather than waving your fist at the Oracle gods, please let's stick to the problem at hand and we can try and help you.

I believe some reasonable instructions for installing the JDK can be found here: http://manski.net/2011/12/30/eclipse-and-the-jdk-under-mac-os-x-lion/

You can verify if you have the JDK installed, and if not download it. Once done return to the JDev install steps and tell us how far you get.

CM.

PS. You might notice in my first paragraph that I said "Oracle currently doesn't control how the JDK is installed". Over last week Apple handed off the delivery of a Mac OS X specific JDK to Oracle, and in the future I wouldn't be surprised if we control the delivery and documentation process.
                  • 6. Re: Installing JDeveloper on OS X Lion
                    user13816154
                    CM,

Thank you very much for your kind response. I do appreciate your words. Please forgive my personal frustration, and I'm personally excited by Java and am quite eager to learn it. That obstacle certainly tested my patience. But more importantly, I did suspect a break in the technology from all those published instructions (for Snow Leopard), and OS X Lion. Something didn't feel right, and you certainly proved it.

I found the JDK 7 on Oracle's site, but I'm curious if I should go ahead and download it (ahead of Apple's planned upgrade). How will that impact my system, if I update the JDK independently of Apple ?
                    • 7. Re: Installing JDeveloper on OS X Lion
                      user13816154
                      CM,

I downloaded the exact JDK tools matching my Java version on my Mac. I confirmed with it through my software update installed software list. What's the next step ? I tried running the bash script, but failed. This is how Terminal responded.

Last login: Sun May 6 19:24:58 on ttys000
                      Fredericks-MacBook-Pro:~ frederickpina$ chmod +x jdev_on_lion.sh
                      chmod: jdev_on_lion.sh: No such file or directory
                      Fredericks-MacBook-Pro:~ frederickpina$ java -version
                      java version "1.6.0_31"
                      Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_31-b04-415-11M3635)
                      Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.6-b01-415, mixed mode)
                      Fredericks-MacBook-Pro:~ frederickpina$ ./dev_on_lion.sh
                      -bash: ./dev_on_lion.sh: No such file or directory
                      Fredericks-MacBook-Pro:~ frederickpina$ sude ./jdev_on_lion.sh
                      -bash: sude: command not found
                      Fredericks-MacBook-Pro:~ frederickpina$

Alas,

How do I identify the JDK Selection ?

Edited by: user13816154 on May 6, 2012 5:48 PM
                      • 8. Re: Installing JDeveloper on OS X Lion
                        Chris Muir-Oracle
                        I can only assume when you saved the bash script you either saved it with a different name or you saved it to a different directory. If you issue an "ls" in the terminal window, is the file in the current directory (which appears to be your home directory ~ frederickpina$).

CM.
                        • 9. Re: Installing JDeveloper on OS X Lion
                          user13816154
                          I saved the bash script on my Desktop. I didn't know where else to save it, and assumed that to be the best location. But I also had been curious, as those instructions didn't specify. That's part of the problem. These instructions aren't clear for people like me (non-techies).

What's should I now do ?

P.S. I saved the bash script with exactly the same label used in those instructions.

Edited by: user13816154 on May 7, 2012 7:26 AM
                          • 10. Re: Installing JDeveloper on OS X Lion
                            Chris Muir-Oracle
                            With apologies for the slow reply, I'm currently travelling.

As a suggestion if you're interested in learning to program, picking up some Linux skill which the Mac platform runs on would be a valuable exercise in itself.

Regards the issue here:

1) Open the Finder
                            2) Locate your Desktop directory (typically this is under your user home directory which in case for you is "frederickpina"
                            3) Locate the jdev_on_lion.sh file and move it back your home directory
                            4) Open a new terminal
                            5) Type "cd" <return> without the quotes, this will put you in your home directory
                            6) You're terminal prompt should like this:

7) Repeat the steps from your previous post starting with chmod +x jdev_on_lion.sh

Let us know how you go.

CM.
                            • 11. Re: Installing JDeveloper on OS X Lion
                              user13816154
                              Hi CM,

I'm sitting in a public atrium in NYC. Things are not working my man. I explicitly followed all your directions. This is what I got from Terminal.

Last login: Tue May 8 18:16:46 on ttys000
                              Fredericks-MacBook-Pro:~ frederickpina$ cd
                              Fredericks-MacBook-Pro:~ frederickpina$ chmod +x jdev_on_lion.sh
                              Fredericks-MacBook-Pro:~ frederickpina$ ./jdev_on_lion.sh
                              -bash: ./jdev_on_lion.sh: /bin/bash: bad interpreter: Operation not permitted
                              Fredericks-MacBook-Pro:~ frederickpina$ sude ./jdev_on_lion.sh
                              -bash: sude: command not found
                              Fredericks-MacBook-Pro:~ frederickpina$ ./jdev_on_lion.sh sudo
                              -bash: ./jdev_on_lion.sh: /bin/bash: bad interpreter: Operation not permitted

I don't comprehend what's happening anymore. I'm really losing my appetite for this expedition. It doesn't bode well for your software. I'm not sure what else to add. I'm sorry.
                              • 12. Re: Installing JDeveloper on OS X Lion
                                Chris Muir-Oracle
                                " It doesn't bode well for your software."

I'm still trying to help you with the basics of running a shell script, but you don't seem to want help. Should I continue try and assist or are you not willing to proceed?

CM.
                                • 13. Re: Installing JDeveloper on OS X Lion
                                  user13816154
                                  Look... I want your help. I really do. Please don't take my personal frustration personally. It's not an attack against you. I'm just frustrated with the process itself. I want to learn, that's why I'm making the effort. I appreciate you and I appreciate your time. Please don't get angry.

I know IT-workers have a lot of pressure. I'm sorry.
                                  • 14. Re: Installing JDeveloper on OS X Lion
                                    user13816154
                                    Maybe it would be easier if we could Skype. This way we trouble shoot in real time.

My Skype ID:

Deznuts2006

Forgive my immature handle. I have a bit of juvenile streak in me.
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next