3 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2012 11:47 AM by EdStevens RSS

IP address for standalone PC hosting vm's

EdStevens
      I'd never thought about this until recently. For a few years now I've been using VMworkstation (and now moving to VirtualBox) to create a virtual computer lab on my laptop. Built a variety of Windows and Linux virtual guests. when the linux guests were built, I connected to them from the host using putty, exactly like I do for my real servers in the corporate data center. When I need to run a GUI process, like dbca, I'd just export DISPLAY to the host os's IP and start xming on the host. Works fine.

Until the day I was doing this and my laptop was not connected to any network to provide with a DHCP assigned IP address. Hmm. How do I deal with this? Should I do like I would if I were installing and Oracle DB directly on the host os, and install a loopback adapter with a fixed IP address? Something else?
        • 1. Re: IP address for standalone PC hosting vm's
          Dude!
          Just use SSH with X Forwarding:

At the computer in front of you do the following:

- start Xming
          - open a PuTTy session, enable X11 forwarding in the SSH settings (category).
          - connect to your remote server.

This will work with NAT and Firewall configurations as long as SSH login works. You can even use it on the console, e.g. ssh oracle@localhost.

Make sure not to set any DISPLAY variable at your login. SSH will take care of the environment and automatically set DISPLAY to localhost, since it's tunneled through SSH. Btw, SSH uses "xauth" and not "xhost" security, so you also don't need to use xhost when using SSH with X forwarding.
          • 2. Re: IP address for standalone PC hosting vm's
            Tommyreynolds-Oracle
            Add a virtual NIC to each guest and instead of using NAT, select the host-only option.
            • 3. Re: IP address for standalone PC hosting vm's
              EdStevens
              TommyReynolds wrote:
              Add a virtual NIC to each guest and instead of using NAT, select the host-only option.
              Yep, got that part at VirtualBox - somewhat off-topic

Problem in this thread as a conceptual issue for me. Couldn't figure out how the guest would/could know where to direct X output if the intended target of said output doesn't have an IP address.

the solution you mention here, and as we thoroughly discussed in the referenced thread, had to do with the differences between how VMware and VBox handle NAT and how do I get the same functionality in VBox as I took for granted in VMware. Though in doing another build last night I noticed another anomoly on that front. Will probably post on that when I get my ducks lined up and make sure I'm comparing apples to apples. Hopefully later today.