This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2012 9:15 AM by 924483 RSS

OBIEE 11g Drill to Detail, not consistently passing parameters

924483 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I'm not sure whether or not the issue we're running in to is a known bug or not but I thought I'd throw the question out here just in case. We have a dashboard built using the Human Resources - Workforce Profile Subject Area and have quite a few reports which utilize the Action Links feature. MOST times the use of the report works as desired: Click on any number on a report and are taken to the desired 'detail' report which returns results that perfectly correspond with the number that was clicked on the main page. When Filters are displayed, all filters show accurately (parameters are carried over).

However sometimes, when a number is clicked and the navigation to the detailed report occurs, the number of results provided does not correspond to the number desired. When Filters are displayed some of the parameters (just some, not all) are taken, and some are not. When I go in to 'Edit' the answers report and merely close it right away (no changes, only open to edit and then close right away) and try to renavigate through, it works perfectly.

We can't seem to find a pattern. Any hints?

We are using a combination of saved filters and filters specific to an analysis where appropriate for our needs.

Thank you very much,
Sam
  • 1. Re: OBIEE 11g Drill to Detail, not consistently passing parameters
    913864 Explorer
    Long back I faced this type of issue ( It was in OBI10g and we had used Target navigation for moving from Main report to Detail )
    I remember 2 things :
    1) All the filters in the master reports - we PROTECTed those filters. SAVE the master reports. Reload the metadata and files. Clear BI server and browser cache.
    ( If the number of master and detail reports is less - Then try creating them again and protect the filters. and SAVE. )
    2)Remove the unused front end objects. Restart the BI services.
    Thanks.
  • 2. Re: OBIEE 11g Drill to Detail, not consistently passing parameters
    924483 Newbie
    Thank you for your help so far, I have a few more questions if that's ok.

1. Did doing this one time create a permanent fix for you?
    2. Why does the protected filter help? Should we always use protected filters when navigating using an Action Link?
    3. What is an example of an unused front end object? I am unsure as to what this is.

Thank you again very much,
    Sam
  • 3. Re: OBIEE 11g Drill to Detail, not consistently passing parameters
    913864 Explorer
    1. Did doing this one time create a permanent fix for you?
    - Yes , The reason what I assume is XML is very sensitive and gets corrupted easily if the OBI environment is unstable.
    So in my case since the number of master-detail reports was less - I actually recreated those reports. Filters were being Protected. This fixed our issue.
    DO take the backup before modification.

2. Why does the protected filter help? Should we always use protected filters when navigating using an Action Link?
    -No idea - As i was playing around to find the workaround - I happened to PROTECT the filters in the master reports and the trick worked out. I assume when filters are protected in master reports - OBIEE front end makes sure that actual filters are carried away when the master is navigated to detail despite XML of the master-detail setup is corrupted.

3. What is an example of an unused front end object? I am unsure as to what this is.
    -Ohh- I wanted to say - Front end objects ( Reports , dashboards, Saved Filters , Actions, Agents etc which are NOT in use - or which are outdated ) can be removed.
    This makes the front end setup lighter and stable.

Thank you.
  • 4. Re: OBIEE 11g Drill to Detail, not consistently passing parameters
    924483 Newbie
    I started playing with our reports and quickly realized that this fix may not work for us as the 'Protect Filter' option only works if a value has been specified in the filter, and this is not an available option when 'is prompted' is set. All of our filters with values specified are protected, and the rest of the filters we have are set to is prompted. Thank you for your help but it looks like our solution might have to be something different.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points