8 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2012 2:52 AM by Hemant K Chitale RSS

rman recovery

how rman decides that a datafile requires media recovery....i.e on what basis the media recovery requirements are decided...??
        • 1. Re: rman recovery
          Fran
          Sorry but I don't understand the question, you must specific what datafile you want to recover, not rman, i.e.:

RMAN> RECOVER DATAFILE N;<-- where N is the number of datafile
          RMAN> RECOVER DATAFILE '/DATAFILE_NAME';

Please check:
          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10734/rcmrecov.htm
          • 2. Re: rman recovery
            Aman....
            920273 wrote:
            how rman decides that a datafile requires media recovery....i.e on what basis the media recovery requirements are decided...??
            RMAN does not decides that a file needs recovery as its a recovery tool which means it can do recovery for you but can't detect the same. From 11g onwards, Oracle has introduced data recovery advisor tool which can be used to find the media recovery to be done. As for your 2nd question, the basis is one , to keep your job alive :) .

Aman....

PS: Always mention your 4 digit db version along with the o/s.
            • 3. Re: rman recovery
              Use V$RECOVER_FILE To identify which files needs media recovery.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/dynviews_2039.htm
              • 4. Re: rman recovery
                sybrand_b
                When the SCN of the datafile (in the datafile header) doesn't match the SCN for that datafile in the controlfile.

--------------
                Sybrand Bakker
                Senior Oracle DBA
                • 5. Re: rman recovery
                  thanks for reply....
                  do control file contain scn's value for each datafile....???
                  if yes...can you please tell me the query to get those scn values...
                  • 6. Re: rman recovery
                    Hemant K Chitale
                    V$DATAFILE is a view on this information in the controlfile.

V$DATAFILE_HEADER is a view on the actual headers in the datafiles.

Hemant K Chitale
                    • 7. Re: rman recovery
                      Hary
                      thanks ....
                      but i have checked the value is always same.....so when we need to perform media recovery...??
                      • 8. Re: rman recovery
                        Hemant K Chitale
                        All the datafiles and the controlfile must be at the same SCN. If the controlfile is at a higher SCN, Oracle will keep attempting recovery to the SCN unless you specify an Incomplete Recovery (e.g. with a SET UNTIL clause)

Hemant K Chitale