4 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2012 3:59 PM by Gary Graham-Oracle RSS

sqldeveloper 3.1.07/jdk 1.6.0_04 not import csv files - columns missing

user898498
      I have been trying to import the following test file using Tables/Import Data.

"column1","column2"
      "fred","hat"
      "bert","cap"
      "amy","helmet"

The wizard has 5 steps.
      On Step 2 I chose the Import Method and call my new table Fred
      On Step 3 I am called on to Chose Columns.

Here is my problem - no columns are displayed in the Available Columns list

Any ideas?
        • 1. Re: sqldeveloper 3.1.07/jdk 1.6.0_04 not import csv files - columns missing
          Gary Graham-Oracle
          Hi,
          no columns are displayed in the Available Columns list
          Using the latest production SQL Developer (3.1.07.42), if I ...
          1. Cut & paste your test case into Notepad
          2. Save it with a csv file extension
          3. Run Data Import from the Tables node
          4. Step 3 shows column1 and column2 automatically in the Selected Columns list
          5. If I uncheck Header in Step 1, then Step 3 shows COLUMN1 and COLUMN2 in the Selected Columns list
          6. In each case the Data Import completes successfully into tables Fred and Fredwina, respectively.

Is your SQL Developer version different? Or are there any other details you can provide to clarify your test case?

You can always trying running <sqldev_install_dir>\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.exe from a console window in case some uncaught exception displays in the console when you reach Step 3.

Regards,
          Gary
          SQL Developer Team
          • 2. Re: sqldeveloper 3.1.07/jdk 1.6.0_04 not import csv files - columns missing
            user898498
            ...and the answer is:

Not at all obvious.

First I investigated if there were any user access issues (i.e. privileges not correctly granted) with the Oracle DB. They were fine.

Then I thought that it was possible that it might be to do with local versus network drives. I tried the test dataset out on the local drive and it imported fine. So I moved it to the network drive top level and it imported fine. So I moved down one level and it imported fine.

Then an awful suspicion developed. The path to the original location of the data folder is:

Q:\Projects\2012\2012_028 [Merge existing Asset Data to TopDesk]\Maths\

Guess what guys - for some reason SQLDeveloper doesn't like '[' and ']' in the path. Strange really, as its a valid character for Windows file systems.

So there you go.
            • 4. Re: sqldeveloper 3.1.07/jdk 1.6.0_04 not import csv files - columns missing
              Gary Graham-Oracle
              Thanks for researching further and providing an explanation of the issue. I logged the following bug:

Bug 14050331 - FORUM: DATA IMPORT WIZARD CANNOT PROCESS A FILE WITH SQUARE BRACKETS IN PATH

This appears to be a generic issue since it reproduces on both Windows and Linux.

Regards,
              Gary
              SQL Developer Team

Edited by: Gary Graham on May 25, 2012 1:58 PM
              Notification received: fixed for 3.2